Book now, pay at stay
US$133
US$95
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

US$170
  • Pool
Book now, pay at stay
US$159
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We arrived late on a Thursday night and the bartender was very nice to direct us to our room... and invite us back in for a night cap! We stayed in the "spring room" - which was like walking into a room at Grandma's house... butterfly bedspread, butterfly curtains... just very warm and inviting. In the morning, there were muffins, breads, cereal, coffee, juice in the "living room" by the fireplace... The perfect place to hang our hat for the night, as we were up early and headed out to the ice caves!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I planned a surprise Valentine's weekend getaway to the ice caves and found the Village Inn after calling the entire peninsula looking for a room. We've been going to the area for years in the summer, but this was our first winter trip and our first extended visit to Cornucopia.

We arrived late and left early to see the ice caves, but found this place and the folks that work there nothing short of fantastic. Wade and Cheryl found us something to eat after the restaurant closed, and they sat and visited with us over a couple of drinks in the bar like they've known us for years. Not something you get anywhere else!

We found the room to be cozy and nice. The TV and Internet worked fine for us after following the directions in the room, though there is so much beauty outside we didn't use them much! We stayed in the Summer room in the Inn itself. Enjoyed homemade cinnamon raisin bread and coffee for breakfast by the fire right outside our room, and got a hug from Cheryl on the way out the door. Definitely a value for the money!

We look forward to trying this place in the summer and staying in one of the cabins across the road, and bringing our friends to the tiki bar!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PCphoto
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

When I checked in to the Spring Room, I was told the room keys were in the door of our room, which gave me a bad vibe right off the bat. That meant anyone could've gotten into our room before we got there. And maybe they did, or maybe the housekeepers just didn't clean the room like they should've. I went in to check out the room before heading out for a day of fun, and was met with a toilet full of poop. Someone else's poop!!! I wish I was kidding. I tried to flush it away, but the toilet would not flush it down, leaving a mess just about overflowing in the bathroom. I immediately went down to the front desk to report this, not really being sure if I wanted to stay in a place whose first impression was anything but good. The front desk girl that I checked in with only a few minutes earlier was the only person I saw, and was mortified to hear what I had to tell her. She said she would "see if Wade was still here." I told her I would be back later, assuming it would all be taken care of when we got back later in the evening.

To describe the set-up of the hotel/restaurant combination, please know that there are 4 inn rooms just off a common sitting area on the 2nd floor of the building, which is upstairs from the restaurant. To access these rooms, one must climb a set of wooden stairs on the outside of the building, entering the common area of the inn by an unlocked door. Our room, the Spring Room, was the first room inside that door, and when I walked into the common area, I saw that our door was standing wide open with the keys in the door. It just seemed odd to me that there was absolutely no security to get through in order to access our room. After seeing the "gift" that was left for us, I am sure that this may have played a part.

We did not return to the inn until 11:30pm that night, and boy, do I wish we would've gone back earlier. I was apprehensive as I re-entered our room, and was met with an uncleanly smell as soon as I opened the door. Immediately I checked the toilet, and found that the majority of the gift was gone, but there was still some floating waste, and the staff had DEFINITELY NOT CLEANED THE TOILET. It stunk like feces in that bathroom, because there was waste STILL caked on the inside wall of the toilet after having had all day to clean it. To make matters worse, I pulled back the bed covers to reveal bed sheets with visible stains that looked a little too rumpled to have been clean. I was angry, but at that time of night, what was one supposed to do 3+ hours from home in a town with no open hotel rooms? My husband and I layered on the clothes, pulled our hoods over our heads, and climbed into bed because we were too tired to do anything but sleep on the mattress that had obviously seen better days. It had ruts so well worn into it that I didn't know if the mattress or the box spring was in worse shape. The guy snoring loudly in the room next to us was definitely heard as we fell asleep, but not before we added that to our list of maddening things about the Village Inn.

We did wake up several times that night, because it was FREEZING in that room. We were too tired and angry to look around for a thermostat when we arrived, because when we entered the room it was temperate. In retrospect, I remember seeing what looked like a wall unit air conditioner, but wonder now if it was also a heater. Regardless, there were no heat vents in that room and though we were dressed for winter weather as we got into bed, we still froze through the night.

I was going to call to complain after leaving today, but after reading the other reviews on TA, I quickly realized that cleanliness is not a new problem for the Village Inn, nor is customer service. I have a feeling nothing would change, nor would I get my money back, so I did not feel like getting an earful about this not being "The Marriott." No, it is not the Marriott, but in my book, a clean hotel goes a long way in getting my return business. And I will not be returning to the Village Inn again in my lifetime. If you are considering staying there, you may not experience exactly what we did, but do you want to take the chance?

Stayed: February 2014
10  Thank WisconsinMomOf2
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This review is for the restaurant only.....

I'm giving it a 4.5 for atmosphere and a 3 for food, but since TA doesn't allow half points, i gave them a a solid 4 because i really liked the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff.....

We stopped in during our snowmobile ride to Bayfield County..... The Village Inn has a Northwoodsy/mariner/community vibe to it---old, but very comfy and warm feeling, plus the price was right and it's right across from Lake Superior and the harbor.... We got the fish chowder bread bowl. I ordered this dish because whitefish and trout are among my favorite fishes.... But personally, next time i go there, i'll order something else..... The bread was delicious, but the chowder was good enough, but not something i'd go out of my way to order again....

All in all, because of the nice atmosphere, i would recommend the Village Inn restaurant in Cornucopia, WI......

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our cabin was run down and dirty. They either don't clean them, or they don't care when they do. By morning the cabin was filled with mosquitoes and we were getting eaten alive. The manager at The Village Inn was very rude, and made us feel like criminals for not wanting to stay a second night. We will avoid this place in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family