“A Relaxing Getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Madison, Wisconsin
“A Relaxing Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

When I was a child, my family and I frequented this wonderful little gem many times and remember vividly when it was still Lake Lawn Lodge. Since then, it has recently succumbed under new ownership and has been revived to Lake Lawn Resort. My parents and my husband and I stayed April 27-28 for a mini-getaway to relive old memories and for a little R & R, and Lake Lawn Resort made us just as happy as it did then. :)

Resort - Lake Lawn Resort is spread out within 250 acres, and it is nestled around almost 2 miles of Delavan Lake's shoreline. It is nicely set up where one can walk around the resort within covered hallways that are surrounded by windows, so you have ample views of the lake throughout your "journey." They have conference rooms available for meetings, weddings, parties, etc. Also, they have two restaurants/bars, a deli with wonderful treats (which was being renovated during our stay), an arcade room, both an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, a hot tub, exercise room, a kids' zone, and a cute little store with unique odds and ends. They also have a spa, golf course, access to boats, and other activities.

Accommodations - We actually stayed in Shorewood East in a queen luxury loft room. The decor is set to make you feel like you are in a cabin, so expect a lot of plaid and wood. ;) It was immaculately clean; the bedding was fresh and crisp and appeared to practically be brand new. The loft set up was very cool; it was just my husband and myself in our room, so we really did not need the extra space, but the openness was very nice. The beds were comfortable, and it was very easy to adjust the temperature. The shower had a rain shower head and was adjustable to our liking. We also enjoyed a whirlpool bath whilst sipping coffee (that was in the room) in the morning...very relaxing. Other amenities include a refrigerator and microwave in this particular room. We also had a patio with 2 chairs facing the lake and outdoor pool area, and we were very pleased with our view.

Staff - The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We've stayed at a few all-inclusive resorts where the staff constantly greeted us wherever we were, and in the States, I have to say that this is probably the first hotel we've stayed in where we were greeted by everyone we happened to see. The staff also works very hard; one guy was even constantly mopping the pool area to alleviate it of any extra water so no one would slip.

Food - We dined at the Frontier Restaurant for both dinner and breakfast, and my family and I were very impressed with the selections and felt the prices were comparable for what we received. The presentation of the food was fantastic, and we were all very pleased with our meals. I had ordered the 3 cheese baked onion soup and the lobster spaghetti. LOVED it. My husband was very impressed with his apple jack bread stuffed chicken breast. My mom was thrilled with her filet mignon, and they accommodated her request with grilled vegetables in lieu of garlic mash. And my father, who is a little picky, was very impressed with his roasted fresh boston cod. They also have a seafood buffet for $18.95/person on Fridays, and although we were not staying Saturday night, they have a prime rib buffet for $22.95/person, I believe. We received top notch service and waited the appropriate time between courses. The breakfast we had was really reasonably priced (I highly recommend the grilled vegetable salsa breakfast burrito).

I would definitely recommend Lake Lawn Resort for a little getaway. It was very relaxing and fun. My family is already making plans for a return summer trip so we can also go boating and enjoy the lake and other amenities when the weather is nicer. We remember having such great family vacations in our past when it was Lake Lawn Lodge, and as an adult returning after many years, I am just as pleased with the resort as I remember having as a child.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Green Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was a new area for us to travel to. We found Lake Lawn to be a treasure that we found. Very friendly staff, clean rooms, good food and entertainment. We will come back !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Renee L
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at Lake Lawn Resort for a quick getaway and were very happy with the experience. The resort has been updated and is very stylish and comfortable. The beds were like sleeping on a cloud. The entire staff was very friendly and attentive. I will definitely return!

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed for just one night, April 21st. We needed wheel chair accessibilty and they put us in a good location close to parking lot and entrance. All the hallways had ramps, except one (lobby to Boulder Lounge), where there were 3-steps. Luckily a young man who worked there was passing by and helped me get my husband down the 3-stairs.
The room was very cute and comfortable (King luxury room). We were able to hear the doors opening and closing of the room above us. If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. It's not too noisy, but could wake someone up.

We spent time at the Lookout bar & grill. Service was great and food was good. Unfornately, the spa isn't re-opening until early summer. Definitely a place to go back too.

Room Tip: Depending on what you what out of your stay; Ask for a water view room or, ask to be close to bar...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had an amazing weekend at Lake Lawn! I have great memories of going there as a child and now my husband and I visited with our 3 year old. We had so much fun! The staff is friendly and very accomodating. The rooms were spacious and my daughter thought it was so cool that there was an "upstairs" with a bunk bed for her. The kids play room was perfect for her to paint, play with toys and she especially loved the indoor pool. The resort schedules weekend activities by the pool such as face painting, bingo, etc for all to have fun.
Overall, a fun family weekend and we can't wait to go back! I would highly recommend a visit!

Room Tip: definitely choose one of the loft rooms if you have kids.
1 Thank comper
Oak Lawn, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We are thrilled that Lake Lawn is back and hopefully thriving! Our family has been going to Lake Lawn for almost 40 years. It's an easy drive from Chicago, a great location and a wonderful facility with many happy memories for all of us. The resort is very family friendly. We were there last weekend with our adult children and we had a wonderful, relaxing time. The staff was great, the rooms were awesome and we had a great time despite some questionable weather. We're hoping the deli will be re-opened by the next time we go back!

Room Tip: We had a total of two rooms, both loft room in Norwood. It was wonderful and a great value because o...
Mt. Prospect
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife had been to Lake Lawn many times as a child. We first came in 1978 as newlyweds. Since then, we have returned many times with one, two and then three children. We were just there for the Easter weekend and our children, now fully grown, were with us. A daughter came in from Baltimore to join us. We were very pleased with the rennovated rooms, staying in a loft room overlooking the lake. I want to come back when it is warmer so that we may take advantage of the outdoor pool and other activities as well as play some golf with my in-laws.
Thanks Lake Lawn for fighting the good fight and keeeping family traditions alive!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delavan
14.5 km away
14.2 km away
Cove of Lake Geneva
Cove of Lake Geneva
#9 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to Lake Lawn Resort? Share your experiences!