“Great View, Friendly”
Review of Shallows Resort

Shallows Resort
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed in a shoreside motel room. Beautiful view of the bay...First week they were open for the summer, so not too busy. But owners were on the site, friendly and very clean. I would especially recommend it as a summer place for families..

Room Tip: Not in the hub-bub of Door County, but we enjoyed the peace and quiet in the evenings away from stre...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 April 2012

bday trip here and had great relaxing time with view/seating right on lake! beach us rocky so no sandcastles....but great pool, bikes to ride, basketball/tennis court, grills; continental brkfst good yummy rolls; rooms are cozy rustic with good homey comforts--this is lake house living not hotel stay....so realize rustic is charm! easy prkg and wonderful grounds; realize is a drive (or long walk) to egg harbor; no disabled rooms with showers was only disappointment for my father; cottages to stay in...our choice but sold out; GREAT locale for Door Cty fun...yet peaceful!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I organized a family vacation to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. My parents love fall foliage so Egg Harbor in October seemed like the perfect spot. When I found the Shallow's West Ridge property, it felt like everything was coming together easily. Boy, was I wrong.

We left Chicago first thing in the morning. Imagine my surprise when I got an email that the West Ridge didn't have power. A strong storm had run through several days prior leaving most of the area without power. ISSUE #1: You waited until the morning of our check-in to notify me of a significant issue with the property? If you gave me 24 hours notice, I could have found another place in Door County OR cancel my reservation and just find stuff to do in Chicago with my parents. Oh wait, that's probably what you didn't want to happen...

So we're halfway to Egg Harbor when I called the front desk to assess the situation. They didn't want us to stay at the West Ridge because they couldn't clean it properly after the last guests. And there would be no heat because the thermostat needed power. Our alternative was to stay in a 2 bedroom unit at the Shallows property but that wasn't really an option for us since there were 5 adults. So I asked them if it'd still be possible for us to check into the West Ridge. After checking in with the owner, they agreed.

When I arrived at the Shallows to get the keys, the full story came out. Apparently, no power in Door County also means NO RUNNING WATER. Hello?? Shouldn't that have been the first thing you told me after notifying me of the power outage? You've been watching your guests lugging water out of your jacuzzi for the toilets so you can't say that it slipped your mind! And I can't believe you told me with a straight face that power outages commonly affects plumbing/water. The majority of US households is not on well water. And I got some serious attitude because I apparently "insisted" on checking into the West Ridge. I didn't insist. I politely asked if it was an option. ISSUE #2: Shady shady shady plus attitude.

Thankfully, we only endured one night and one morning without power. BUT I agonized over contingency plans the following day. The management's lack of transparency put some serious stress on what should have been a relaxing family vacation.

So why the 4 star review? Because the property is that beautiful. Trees everywhere giving you a sense of being in your own private forest. The outdoor patio is perfect for lounging with a wonderful view of the lake. It's a gorgeous home that I would love to own (would just need minor design tweaks).

Although it's a lakefront property, there's a little path that you need to follow to actually get to the lake. The path might be a bit of a challenge for small children and the elderly but should be doable with a little assistance. And the backyard is at a somewhat steep grade; not dangerous but not ideal for active little ones either.

Power outages are rare but the way the management handled the situation speaks volumes. I love the property but I'd think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Eliza C
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed at the Shallows over Labor Day Weekend. Our room was neat and clean, but certainly not modern. We loved overlooking the water and were awe-struck by the absolutely wonderful views. My husband and I enjoyed a sweet roll and coffee each morning. My daughters' favorite part were the complimentary bikes. They looked forward to riding each time we got back to the resort. The tennis and basketball courts were also fun. The grounds were well-taken care of and the flowers and plants were lovely. We will certainly visit the Shallows again next time we go to Door County.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Shallows was a great place to stay. We were busy during the day, so only used it for sleeping, but loved looking out over the bay each morning. We stayed in two different units in the motel, because we added an extra night. Room #4 (queen) was updated and had a small kitcheonette...very nice. Room #11 was a king...nice, but not updated.
It's a ways out of town, but we like the quiet. We couldn't get on the internet...not sure if
it was my old laptop, or other issues. This was definitely a good value.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

After staying at other resorts in Egg Harbor and being disappointed we tried Shallows Resort. We stayed at their Eagles Nest property. The cottage was located about a mile from the property and nestled in the woods. The cottage was squeaky clean and had everything we needed to fix our own meals including a BBQ grill. A screened in porch was perfect for dining and relaxing. We used the pool at the resort and they even provided us with beach towels. Coffee, juice, bagels, and sweet rolls were available free every morning at the resort along with the Milwaukee newspaper. Everyone we came in contact with were smiling, friendly, and wanting to know what they could do to make our stay better. We will return next year!!!

Room Tip: Call early as they fill up fast.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here for a sisters weekend. We were so happy with the resort. It has beautiful grounds, very peaceful, nice views, and pretty quiet. It had everything you need for a fun vacation. If I had to find something to complain about I wish they had a little better breakfast maybe include some type of fruit. But that was it. Staff was very nice too. I can't wait to go back again with my kids and hubby. Wonderful!!

Room Tip: Beautiful view of Lake Mi
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Edgewater Resort
#2 of 8 in Ephraim
17.4 km away
Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort

Been to Shallows Resort? Share your experiences!