I surprised my two sisters with a "spa" getaway this past weekend at Osthoff. Unfortunately, it was not what I expected, at all. It was off to a good start when we were able to check in a couple hours early, but then we went to the spa. I had read that it was the #1 rated spa, and I cannot figure out why. I had booked the "Spa Suite Experience" where you are all in the same room for what is called the elemental bath, massage and reflexology. The locker room was littered with dirty towels and cups, and needed a good cleaning. We were ushered into the suite, told to exfoliate in the bath and then get on the massage tables. There was discussion among the workers to turn the fireplace on, but they never did. The scalp and foot massage that was supposed to accompany the bath never happened either. Then came the massage. I had specifically booked the "customized" massage due to recent surgery, however my therapist did not say one word to me, and the massage amounted to light stroking at best. She also obviously had a cold, and spent the entire hour coughing, sniffling, and blowing her nose. My sisters massages were OK. After our treatments, although they attempted to rush us out the door (not sure why, it was only 4pm) we decided to go to the outdoor sitting area. Imagine our surprise to find it littered with trash, cups, and utensils from earlier guests lunches, overturned chairs and fallen umbrellas. After we scrounged up chairs and cushions, we were joined by a group of loud, and obviously intoxicated women, who were never reminded to use their "spa" voices, even though a staff member walked through the area twice in 30 minutes (and still didn't pick up any of the trash!) We left. Upon checkout from the spa, I was informed that 18% gratuity was already included. No wonder our providers were less than attentive....Back to our room we found that our toilet did not function. What a bummer in a room of 3 girls. It was fixed promptly though. Until we returned after dinner and found it non-functional again! Also non-functional was the volume on the TV, and I had just paid $15.99 for a movie rental! I called the front desk, and after waiting 30minutes, I went down to the desk, where the person I had just spoke to on the phone, acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. He then informed me they could not fix the volume on the TV, but would take the movie charge off my bill. Well, there goes girl's movie night, and of course, he never did take the charge off my bill. So we just went to bed. Upon checkout the next morning, I was asked my room number and simply told my total owed. When I asked to review my bill, she very reluctantly showed me, and then reluctantly removed the movie charge. I again mentioned the toilet problem, and her response was "I'm sorry. Your total is $$". At this point I was getting pretty angry, but decided we would go down to the beach for a bit. Same deal. It was littered with trash (who are all these litterbugs, seriously?), and there were no lounge chairs, only regular chairs that had been drug out by the guests. Also to you beach lovers, it was a TINY beach area. Not sure what happens during the busy season....there is not much room considering the size of the resort!
On a positive note, we did eat both at Otto's and Lola's, and the food was delicious and the waitstaff very nice. The grounds are very pretty and well kept.
I sent an email to the manager and also filled out a comment card with my concerns, hoping to get some sort of response prior to posting this on tripadvisor. I do not normally complain. Who knows, maybe they were short staffed or maybe there was a general plumbing problem, something to explain how we were treated! I travel frequently and wanted to give Osthoff a fair chance. I have heard nothing back, which solidifies my thoughts on the lack of customer service. I spent over $1200.00 for a one night stay and spa services and food, extremely overpriced for what we received. If you do go to Osthoff, I hope your experience is much better than mine!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Osthoff Resort, in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, is a premier AAA Four Diamond resort located on 500 ft of recreational lakefront. Offering a casual atmosphere within its elegant surroundings, The Osthoff Resort provides a romantic getaway for couples, while year-round indoor and outdoor activities, provide a family with many opportunities to enjoy spending time together. Our conference center offers spacious and well-appointed ballrooms and meeting rooms to assist in the productivity of retreats and conferences for our group guests. A host of seasonal getaway packages are available providing guests varying options for a holiday vacation. Whether spring, summer, fall or winter – The Osthoff Resort is your place in the lake.™ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your The Osthoff Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Osthoff Resort Elkhart Lake
- Osthoff Hotel Elkhart Lake