“Not as advertised......” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Walworth, Wisconsin
“Not as advertised......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I surprised my two sisters with a "spa" getaway this past weekend at Osthoff. Unfortunately, it was not what I expected, at all. It was off to a good start when we were able to check in a couple hours early, but then we went to the spa. I had read that it was the #1 rated spa, and I cannot figure out why. I had booked the "Spa Suite Experience" where you are all in the same room for what is called the elemental bath, massage and reflexology. The locker room was littered with dirty towels and cups, and needed a good cleaning. We were ushered into the suite, told to exfoliate in the bath and then get on the massage tables. There was discussion among the workers to turn the fireplace on, but they never did. The scalp and foot massage that was supposed to accompany the bath never happened either. Then came the massage. I had specifically booked the "customized" massage due to recent surgery, however my therapist did not say one word to me, and the massage amounted to light stroking at best. She also obviously had a cold, and spent the entire hour coughing, sniffling, and blowing her nose. My sisters massages were OK. After our treatments, although they attempted to rush us out the door (not sure why, it was only 4pm) we decided to go to the outdoor sitting area. Imagine our surprise to find it littered with trash, cups, and utensils from earlier guests lunches, overturned chairs and fallen umbrellas. After we scrounged up chairs and cushions, we were joined by a group of loud, and obviously intoxicated women, who were never reminded to use their "spa" voices, even though a staff member walked through the area twice in 30 minutes (and still didn't pick up any of the trash!) We left. Upon checkout from the spa, I was informed that 18% gratuity was already included. No wonder our providers were less than attentive....Back to our room we found that our toilet did not function. What a bummer in a room of 3 girls. It was fixed promptly though. Until we returned after dinner and found it non-functional again! Also non-functional was the volume on the TV, and I had just paid $15.99 for a movie rental! I called the front desk, and after waiting 30minutes, I went down to the desk, where the person I had just spoke to on the phone, acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. He then informed me they could not fix the volume on the TV, but would take the movie charge off my bill. Well, there goes girl's movie night, and of course, he never did take the charge off my bill. So we just went to bed. Upon checkout the next morning, I was asked my room number and simply told my total owed. When I asked to review my bill, she very reluctantly showed me, and then reluctantly removed the movie charge. I again mentioned the toilet problem, and her response was "I'm sorry. Your total is $$". At this point I was getting pretty angry, but decided we would go down to the beach for a bit. Same deal. It was littered with trash (who are all these litterbugs, seriously?), and there were no lounge chairs, only regular chairs that had been drug out by the guests. Also to you beach lovers, it was a TINY beach area. Not sure what happens during the busy season....there is not much room considering the size of the resort!
On a positive note, we did eat both at Otto's and Lola's, and the food was delicious and the waitstaff very nice. The grounds are very pretty and well kept.
I sent an email to the manager and also filled out a comment card with my concerns, hoping to get some sort of response prior to posting this on tripadvisor. I do not normally complain. Who knows, maybe they were short staffed or maybe there was a general plumbing problem, something to explain how we were treated! I travel frequently and wanted to give Osthoff a fair chance. I have heard nothing back, which solidifies my thoughts on the lack of customer service. I spent over $1200.00 for a one night stay and spa services and food, extremely overpriced for what we received. If you do go to Osthoff, I hope your experience is much better than mine!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jenny J
GoldenRule3, General Manager at The Osthoff Resort, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Hello, my name is Lola Roeh and I’m the general manager at the Osthoff Resort. I am so sorry for the trouble you encountered. Guest feedback is extremely important to us and our practice is to respond immediately. I’m sad to say your e-mail was mistakenly forwarded to another user, so I first learned of the issues you encountered via this TripAdvisor review the day immediately following your visit at the end of the holiday weekend. My deepest apologies for the lapses in service you experienced. As I said in my voicemail message to you, this is certainly not the experience we are known for nor the standards we hold ourselves to, and we will make it up to you. Guests deserve spotless surroundings, everything in working order, and professional, hospitable service. We always work to exceed those expectations and I feel certain this was a rare off day on all counts and not the norm by any means. Still, it doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

I’m glad we had a chance to talk and we look forward to your return. Should you have any issues with any part of your stay, please let us know on the spot and we will try to resolve immediately. I do look forward to the opportunity to have you experience The Osthoff Resort and Aspira Spa as it should be experienced. Please let us know if there is any way we can further assist you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My Wife and I stayed for 2 nights at this resort in the month of May 2012. The resort is just 3 hours drive from Chicago area.

The service, the rooms, the food, and the experience was really good. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with Whirlpool tub. The view from the private balcony is pleasant. The kitchen available in the suite is decent enough.

We enjoyed one of our dinner's at the Otto's restaurant inside the resort. The food and the service was good.

Its a very good destination for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: get a room with whirlpool tub, it is awesome.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karthik313
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Our group had an excellent stay at you hotel. The rooms were beautiful. Comfortable beds too. It was much more than I expected it to be. I hope we return there again next year!

• Stayed April 2012
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Three friends and I stayed two nights at the Osthoff while attending a weekend Ladies's (church) Retreat. Our suite was actually a condo, with a welcoming message from The Owners. It had 2 bedrooms and two baths, a full kitchen, 3 TVs, dinette, living area, and patio. The lake side resort and grounds are beautiful. We all agreed that this is the best type of accommodation and loved th extra space and flexibility. The hotel includes outdoor and indoor pools, whirlpools, and 2 fine restaurants. The conference rooms are comfortable and views spectacular. The community has several fun shops and the area has several interesting activities.

Stayed April 2012
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed in a three bedroom, 2-1/2 bath lakeside condo on the 4th floor. It was a beautiful room and the view of the lake was outstanding. There were six of us and we had plenty of room with the exception of the second full bath which was to be shared by two of the bedrooms in the upper part of the unit. We had several calls to the front desk - to ask for extra towels, fix the garbage disposal and unclog a toilet. Their response time was excellent and all requests were handled quickly. Kitchen items were a little older but functional. We were surpised that no DVD players were provided, although there were several flat screen tvs throughout the unit. Check in and out went smoothly. We did not eat at the restaurant as our meals were included with our conference - mostly buffet which were typical. We liked the cozy sitting spots throughout the resort. Although we checked out the spa, none of us used it. Prices seemed quite high but maybe in line with other resorts of this type. Service was A+.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Lockport, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Osthoff resort & spa in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, is centrally located in the state. It is within 2 1/2 hours of Chicago. The setting is breathtaking! . Easpecially in Spring when everything is in bloom. I just came back from a "Girls Weekend," which has become a tradition among my 3 friends and I. (this is our 4th year!) There is plenty to see and do nearby. We like to drive into the town of Kohler, and shop at the small strip mall across from the Kohler Kitchen & Bath showroom. The shops there are very upscale yet quaint. The Grocery Market there is a gem! Organic produce, great wine selection, and we always fine some wonderful food item there. At the Kohler Showroom you can browse the many display areas for Kitchen's and baths as well as go down to the lower level to gleen the Kohler History. I usually do yoga at the spa at 9am with Hari Om-who is a master teacher, and we occaisonally go to the whirlppol area, or just veg in our 2 bedroom suite and catch up, drinking wine, and eating one of the meals we each bring for the weekend. Since we have a kitchen here, we only go out for one evening dinner (usually at Lake Street Cafe 1 block away) and possibly a send off breakfast or lunch on Sunday before departing. On the way home (to the Chicago area) my friend and I stop off at Glorioso's Italian Market in Milwaukee, which is a grocery/ deli/carry out/dine in place on Brady Street. Another GEM not to be missed. The Osthoff in Spring is NOT TO BE MISSED!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Deerfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We visited the Osthoff in March '12. We spend 5 days there and for the most part had a great experience. We tried to get there before dark, as it is off the beaten path and the signage was virtually non-existent. Although it is a straight shot north on the highway, once you hit those county roads, watch out! The hotel is charming and the staff friendly and attentive. However, we were there offseason (which we knew) and the restaurants shared hours, so there wasn't much choice, until the actual weekend. The food is very good though!!! The room was large and very clean. The view was beautiful; overlooking the lake and walking path.
The spa was fabulous, until the weekend, when it was crowded and very noisy with ladies enjoying their girls weekend, completely unaware, or caring, there were others trying to enjoy theirs.
We will try it again, as it did help us unwind, but we would not include a weekend due to the noisy spa and we'd go in a different season, perhaps late spring or in the fall.

Room Tip: We had an end room overlooking the lake. The view was beautiful and it was very quiet. Even with t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
AmericInn Plymouth
#3 of 5 in Plymouth
23.9 km away
BEST WESTERN Stanton Inn

Been to The Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!