Rowleys Bay Resort
The Harbor Light Inn(Ellison Bay)(Great Value!)
US$119
Parkside Inn(Ellison Bay)(Great Value!)
US$75
Country House Resort(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$151
Scandinavian Lodge(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$91
Hotels.com
Coachlite Inn of Sister Bay(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$69
Sister Bay Inn(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$79
Open Hearth Lodge(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$86
The Inn at Little Sister Hill(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$89
Nordic Lodge(Sister Bay)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$89
All reviewsrowleys bayfish boilbreakfast buffetswedish bakerydoor countycinnamon rollsget awayon sitebay resortlake michiganfamily reunionout of datepeace and quietpulled upsalad barhistorylodge
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We rented one of their vacation homes for a couples weekend. The house was fantastic and accurately described by the front desk and on the web site. It was very clean, and ready well before 3 pm. I was very appreciative that they let us check in a when we arrived.

I love the location of Rowleys Bay Resort, and I truly enjoyed all of the activities you can enjoy within the resort. I would highly recommend this place for a couples weekend or for a family get away. You absolutely feel "off of the grid." This is the place you want to be to recharge your batteries.

I will be back again and again and again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TurkeyGirl33
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We almost decided not to come here because a poor review... I can truly say THEY WERE WRONG!!! The staff was so helpful and considerate. The rooms were spotless. This is a lovely rustic lodge with such a magnificent view. We were delighted with the meals & loved the bakery. The staff even highlighted points of interest based on our preferences. We plan to make this a family tradition. We just loved EVERYTHING!

Room Tip: 2nd floor lakeside had a great view. The rooms with 2 queen beds have a pullout couch, fridge & table.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miriam S
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I took a road trip up through Door County and only needed a place to stay for one night. We reserved this place on the way after looking it up online. It was on the water but in the bay so there wasn't really anything nearby, especially not within walking distance. It was very quiet, not many people around. We had a ground floor room with a jacuzzi tub and a mini fridge. It was definitely an older place but kind of what we were expecting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cjchams
Reviewed August 26, 2011

If you want cookie cutter modern hotel, stay home! Reminded me of the wonderful inns we would stay at during the 60's at Lake of the Ozarks. Wonderful food and vistas. Walked along the dock and enjoyed the sounds of the wind through the tall trees. Very snazzy pub. The bakery is not to be missed. For a first time visit to Door County, I think I must lead a very charmed life as my two nights at Towleys Bay Resort was charming!! The biggest plus is it is off the main drag of the smaller, more compacted towns so don't have to deal with crowds of folks walking past the front porch. Did I mention the food?????? Every person connected with Rowleys is to be complimented.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Paula C
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Overview, my husband and I are in our 30's and travel as often. I am avid reader of TA and should have trusted the negative reviews, but thought I would give it a shot. We were up in Door County for a long relaxing weekend to explore. In a nut shell, Rowleys Bay was WAY overpriced, dirty and outdated, we were very disappointed. In our room we could find ONE suitable pillow out of 6 that the pillow cases were not stained, or it did not smell like dirty hair....it was gross.

It has a church camp nursing home vibe. The carpets are filthy, beyond dirty. There is an odor in the halls and in our room. The hallways are scratched up, stained and need painting terribly. The curtains and bedspreads were obnoxiously outdated, it felt like a Chevy Chase movie or something, no kidding. My husband was joking around to cheer me up by calling me Helen Griswold......that part was worth the memory.

On a positive note, the manager understood our complaints and allowed us to cut our reservation by one night to find another hotel and did not charge us a cancellation fee. The manager was professional and offered us out of reservation completely, but we did not know the area and it was 4:00 in the afternoon, once we found something we did continue the weekend elsewhere.

Grounds- Not really much to do. There is firewood for sale all over Door County, and there are fire rings at the resort, but you cannot have a bonfire?!?! There is a small marina. There are some activities like kayaking and things, but we did not stick around the resort for the day so we never used this service.

Food - never ate at the resort and feel like the prices were a tad high. The buffet was 15.99 pp for dinner and the whole vibe of the place made me think the food would follow suit.

Bakery - had some cookies for a snack, they were average. The free coffee in the morning is a nice touch, but asking for a cup at the counter to enjoy the complimentary coffee makes you wish you would have paid. The young girl at the counter was beyond rude, maybe she squeezed each coffee bean by hand because she REALLY did not want to the "free" coffee cups out.

Overall, we would never return to this resort. We know that with traveling comes compromise and we were able to grin and bare it, but I would never choose to visit again. We paid $149.00 plus tax, per night for a second story balcony room, two queen bed. We paid $113.00 total for a wonderful stay down the road with a king bed, real down cozy comforter, clean carpet, great service, complimentary continental breakfast and a smile on our face.

Door County itself was fun. We had great weather and really explored. Visited the Bluffs which were great. Fun little shops and places to have a drink with lunch to people watch. We felt very safe the entire weekend and enjoyed walking the marina and sitting under a tree to watch the happenings.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank whitesandsChicago
Jewel O, Owner at Rowleys Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2011

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay, but would like to make a few comments on your review, as we take them very seriously.

We do have fire rings and firewood available to our guests, so we aren’t sure why you didn’t feel you could make a campfire.

You felt there wasn’t much to do, but we offer ziplining in our 100-acre woods, kayaking tours, Segway tours, charter fishing and dock fishing, birding, hiking on our trails to a nearby beach, a restaurant, bakery, pub, marina and a pool. You will not find that kind of variety anywhere else.

Without eating at our restaurant, you seemed to criticize it anyway. Among our offerings, we have the only all-you-can-eat fish boil buffet that begins outside at the fire pit with an historical re-enactment on the bay by our storyteller.

We have an adorable pub with the lowest drink prices in the county and unique vacation drinks to rival any you have seen (live music on weekends on the pub deck). Our Grandma’s Swedish bakery features ½ lb. pecan and cinnamon rolls, the only made-from-scratch bagels in Door County, and many unique Swedish items found only here. We ship all over the country. We are very proud of our made-from-scratch cookies, when most bakeries just buy ready-to-bake frozen dough.

We have chosen to serve only premium Door County Coffee (our guests love it!) rather than cheap in-room coffee.

We pride ourselves on very competitive pricing for a waterfront resort, not to be compared with non-waterfront hotels without resort amenities.

We admit that we are not for everyone, and those who prefer more sophistication and modernity would be best served elsewhere (although we have brand new flat screen TVs and WiFi throughout the resort). We are proud of our vintage, and wave the flag for the original Door County vacations!