“Quaint” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ephraim Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ephraim
Ephraim Guest House
Oxford, WI
“Quaint”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2007

We arrived 5:15 PM on Thursday and found our keys laying on the front desk with a sign that read "be back at 9AM" and laughed as we would love to work those hours.
When we made it to our room, we found our 2-bedroom was a loft, and thought of the couple joining us the next day would enjoy that, so we took the private bedroom.
I tried to get online, because we booked this because of the wireless internet, and found that it was impossible. I played with my PC for a couple of hours to figure it out, and kept coming up with the password they supplied was incorrect. I had billing to get out, so I'm out a couple of grand for an extra week, not the end of the world.
We immediately noticed the furnishings seemed to be purchased on sale at K-Mart as the couch was uncomfortable, and sleeping in is out of the question because the beds almost crippled us.
The biggest laugh was the little sign that can only be read when sitting on the toilet that read "Please only flush toilet paper in the toilet" read into that yourself.
Otherwise the only negative was the food.
We ate the first night at The English Inn, and the food was so outstanding that we asked about reservations on Saturday night when our friends would be up. The best table in the place is #4 as it has a nice view outside to their landscaping. The table wasn't available until 8PM so we took that reservation. Upon arrival Saturday night, I checked in with the hostess and pointed at my last name on her clipboard and said that is us. Next to our name was #4. She said we could be seated immediately and grabbed menus. I went to the bathroom, and when I returned, she was sitting another 4-some at table 4 and I was informed we had been moved to a table around the corner, in a corner backed up to the traffic of people going up the steps to the other 30 or so tables. The hostess was the owner, and apparently "bumped" us because of the social status of the people that wanted our table. You know the ones, the guys with Polo's with their collars flipped up and the ladies smelling like Lilac bushes, full of jewelry and so dumb that their husbands need to read the menus to them.
Anyway, mealtime. Everyone at our table had either the fillet or the fish that was on special and enjoyed the meal. I read the menu, and saw that they offered a Porterhouse that they said was "The King of Steaks". I ordered that and wanted it between Med. and Med Rare. Apparently I offended the cook as my "King" was 1/2 inch thick and cold in the middle with 1/2 being raw to the point of not eating it. I'm not the guy that sends food back, so I left 1/2 of my "King" unfinished.
The shopping in the area was excellent including a great print at Anderson's Gallery. Next time I think we'll try Inn @ Christopher's for fine dining and we'll research this site before booking a place to stay. Door County is great and we will be going back annually.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Duke152

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
Edgewater Resort
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek
Village Green Lodge
Village Green Lodge
#1 of 5 in Ephraim

Been to Ephraim Guest House? Share your experiences!