“Green Lake winter break”

Heidel House Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Green Lake
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Green Lake winter break”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Brought the family up to the Heidel House for the weekend and had a great time. The kids loved the pool and the views of the lake from the lobby were fabulous. The staff at the resort could not of been more helpful. The restaurant at the resort, Grey Rock, was spectacular.

Room Tip: Ask for updated rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
De Pere
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were in desperate need of a worry free getaway and The Heidel House was perfect! Our room had a beautiful lake view and was extremely clean. Every member of the staff greeted us and made us feel welcome. We bought a package that included Dinner and Breakfast and it even included tax and gratuity! A very welcome surprise.

Room Tip: Request a whirlpool tub if avaiable.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kcinnman
Gurnee, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Excellent service, ammenities, and location! The best accommodations in a 50 mile radius without a doubt!

Room Tip: chek out the specials they run online when reserving a room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Heidel house is a nice and peaceful resort, with 3 fine restaurants and an ice cream parlour on the property itself. You can see beautiful view of Green Lake, if you are staying in the right room, else you will get property view from your room, which too is beautiful. I am sure this place has lot to offer during summer and falls, but during winters too, you can take a walk on frozen Green Lake, get yourself pampered at evensong spa and relax in the big lobby next to fireplace watching green lake. We were on our babymoon, and the staff is quite helping for us to arrange a fridge and microwave in the room on request.

Cary
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We enjoyed the lakeview room which had the special of getting the second night free. The view of the lake was gorgeous and the sitting area was very pleasant for us. The king sized bed was very comfortable for us. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our only disappointment was the weather as we would have liked to cross-country ski and there was no snow. The ice skating wasn't very good because of the weather. We went there to relax and had a wonderful time! We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Get the lakeview or the best room you can afford!
Dundee, IllinIllinois, USA
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was an exceptional weekend getaway for my wife and I. The Heidel House staff deserves praise for their professionalism and making us feel at home.

Room Tip: Great romantic getaway. Heidel House staff is great!
Chicago
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This was our first trip to Heidel House and we will be going back. We stayed in the suite, which has a gas fireplace, frige, sink, microwave, balcony, large soaking tub, comfy sofa and chair, and a king bed. The photo does not do it justice. It's much nicer than the picture. There is a large conference room table in the suite - which is odd, but I'd defintely rent this room if I were planning a work retreat or a family gathering. There was no glasswear, dishes or silverware - but the dinning room let us have the basics. The only problem was the cleaning lady kept taking the extras out every morning. Annoying - but understandable. The furniture is a bit worn - but clean. We could hear the owls at night. It snowed in the early am so the fresh snow and the view of the lake were beautiful. This made for a wonderful, romantic get-away. The front desk Staff was pleasant - but not very accomodating. However, the dinning room staff was first class! I rarely give a 25% tip - but Joe and John deserved every dime. Try the cheese curds - they are wonderful and the sirloin steak was better than some Chicago Steak houses. The Grey Rock Mansion had a wine tasting meal. The food was great and the pairings perfect - and for $39.99 a person it was a price you could not beat. I've paid double of that in Chicago. My only complaint was that the wine tastings were only 4-6oz and I would have appreciated a larger tasting. But overall - I'd go back again next February as they only offer the wine tasting dinner in February. I'd return in the fall if they offered a wine tasting dinner in October.
The spa was very nice, but pricey. The deep tissue massage was more like a swedish massage, the person I got the facial from was good - but a bit to pushy with the products - I don't like being sold product during a facial. The detox wrap was great. If I were to return, I'd do the detox wrap again. I'd suggest trying the labrynith, hot tub and sauna before your spa services to get the full benefits the spa has to offer. If I were to return, I'd go for a walk in the morning and then head to the spa. The air is incredibly fresh - if you want to sleep well, take a walk in the fresh air.
The only complaint was the bed - a bit hard for me. And I would have preferred an additional blanket - but I didn't ask for one. The towels are amazing - large, white fluffy towels and fluffy white robes. However, the sheets, blankets and the bed spread were a bit old.

I did shop downtown. It's about 1.5 miles the Heidl House and definitely withing walking distance. The house rental business has a jewlery consignment in front - a dangerous place to shop if you like unique jewlery. The prices are reasonable. I found a necklace for $62 which I saw at Nordstroms for $320. I walked away with a number of beautiful, unique pieces. All hand made by local artists. The Goose Blind restaurant had some amazing local micro brews. My husband went to the Goose Blind while I was at the spa - they kept him amused with good food, micro brews, basketball and local gossip! He had a blast.

Heidle House is a gem in the middle of Wisconsin. A great value. A great get-away. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a suite - $250 per night is pricey, but the fireplace and balcony with a view of the lake are...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Green Lake
La Quinta Inn Oshkosh
#3 of 11 in Oshkosh
35.0 km away
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Oshkosh

Been to Heidel House Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!