“Excellent dining”

The Fireside
Ranked #25 of 88 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award winning cuisine. 11 miles from downtown Hayward ,wi.
Reviewed August 13, 2017

Delicious fine dining in one of the surviving supper clubs in the northwoods. First time eating here last year wowed us so much we returned this year and definately on our list for years to come.

2  Thank reeftank45

Reviewed July 8, 2017

We hadn't been to the Fireside for many years. We stopped in for a quiet dinner after our family returned home from their 4th of July get away, and we were more than pleasantly surprised. The relish tray was a meal in itself. The rolls with three spreads were flavorful. We opted for the house dressing on our salads after experiencing the tray and spreads and we were not let down.
The meal continued to impress us. We ordered the red snapper and the walleye. My husband and I shared both, the walleye, sitting in a bed of onions sweated with a hint of grenadine and roasted red potatoes, melted in my mouth. The perfectly seasoned snapper was placed on a mound of mouth watering mashed potatoes. My husband wanted to lick his plate.
We enjoying dining out often, but we usually prefer to cook in when up north. Too much bar food can be hard on the system.

After eating here and enjoying the evening with Erica and Chuck, the owners, we will be back time and time again.

We worth the drive!

6  Thank debbie929
Reviewed October 15, 2016 via mobile

Dined with a group of girlfriends. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed our selection. Shrimp with Couscous, risotto, pork shanks. The food was beautifully presented and prepared perfectly. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Lynda W
Reviewed September 28, 2016

The entire experience (meal and service) was excellent, we had a great evening and celebration of my spouse's birthday!!

1  Thank Judeman01
Reviewed September 6, 2016

My husband and I (54 / 53 year-old couple, no children) went to Hayward for the first time recently. As usual for our trips, I did lots of research beforehand for things to do and places to eat. The Fireside Supper Club was just a few miles south of our cabin – it had a lot of good reviews but a few bad but I put it on our list. After an eight-hour drive, we arrived at our cabin earlier than we had anticipated so we were excited to go to a nice restaurant instead of having to make do with a quick late-night dinner. Decided to try The Fireside since it was so close to us. Their web site says “reservations accepted”, not reservations required so decided to just stop by and see if they might be able to take a walk-in.

We arrived at The Fireside (gorgeous location in the woods by the way). Two couples were sitting together talking at the bar, a waitress was behind the bar, and no one else was in the room. No one greeted us including the waitress in the next description. We sat down in bar chairs and said to the waitress – we don’t have reservations, just thought we’d come by to see if we might be able to get in – something along those lines. The waitress said to us “there is absolutely no way we can do that” and turned around and walked off. WOW. I turned to my husband with this flabbergasted look on my face, which he returned with the same look. We turned around and walked out the door. My husband said later that he was thinking as we walked out, if you’re done [being rude] to us, I guess we’ll leave.

I wonder if the owners read these reviews? They really, really should. In our week at Hayward, we could have come back another night but did not because of the exceptionally rude treatment. She could have turned the situation around with one kind sentence – we don’t have any openings tonight, but could you come back another night? I would have come back in a heartbeat. Where we live, staff at restaurants we frequent like us – we are friendly, good tippers, so I don’t think we were giving off a nasty vibe. We’re just your average middle-class Joe schmoes. We ended up going to The Chippewa Inn Supper Club another night and weren’t thrilled with it (which was only a third full I might add) and also The Ranch which doesn’t even take reservations. If you require reservations, you should say that on your web site.

I don’t know if this restaurant does so well they don’t care if they turn a few customers off? But it’s a sad commentary when people who have just driven eight long hours pick your restaurant to go to first and that is the kind of reception you get. Bad on you Fireside, or bad on you for continuing to employ people who reflect badly on your restaurant.

9  Thank ChuckinIL

Been to The Fireside? Share your experiences!