“Off the Beaten Path but Excellent Find”
Review of Pogreba Restaurant

Pogreba Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 206 Restaurants in La Crosse
Price range: US$10 - US$37
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our staff prides itself in not only creating and delivering a superior product, but in building meaningful relationships with our guests. Join us for dinner and try one of our signature beef,seafood, pork, or pasta dishes. Cocktail with friends and family atop our unique mezzanine level or relax bar side and get to know our talented staff. Catering any and all events. Stop in and see what all the buzz is about on La Crosse's north side...Pogreba Restaurant
Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

I had heard about Pogreba's a year ago but it wasn't until this last trip to La Crosse that I had the occasion to visit there. I took a group of about 10. The restaurant was very accommodating and flexible. It has a very fashionable decor and we were seated in an area in which we could talk and were away from the bustle of other guest. The menu while not extensive had some wonderful choices. The wine selection was adequate and most were available by the glass or by the bottle. The potatoes were outstanding and the server was very personable and attentive as was the owner. Overall a very enjoyable evening so much so that I took another group there for dinner five days later. Will put this on my list of regular places to eat when I'm in La Crosse!

1  Thank Dan F

Reviewed July 27, 2016

I am totally shocked at any negative reviews. We been to Pogreba 4 times in the past 2 months and we ABSOLUTELY love the food. We have dined at the "other" fine dining establishments in the area and Pogreba is in our top 2 ! Not going to mention the "others" by name, but we do dine out every weekend. The menu is diverse, fresh and interesting. The prices are more than fair for the quality and portion sizes. We have had the scallops, salmon, prime rib, watermelon soup, horseradish whipped potatoes and the pork bellies..all SUPERB. Pogreba was recommended to us by a restaurant owner from the Trempleau area whose food is so awesome we asked which restaurant they personally would recommend in this area. We have already taken friends to Pogreba who love it as well and they are frequent diners at a certain restaurant on the waterfront. The staff have been very friendly (Austin..hello) and welcoming. The best prime rib we have ever had. We will be back soon !

1  Thank Lynn O
Reviewed April 25, 2016

We went to the restaurant for a work event/dinner that was set up well in advance. when we arrived, we all wanted to have a drink downstairs before we went up to the mezzanine for our meal. We had 26 people in our group and they had1bartender. It took 10 minutes for me to get a glass of wine. Since they knew we were coming, I didn't understand why they didn't have someone step in and help for the short time that we were all tyrying to get our first drink. That was just the beginning. We all then went up to the mezzanine which was very nice. We had our own bartender up there as well. We had 4 tables for 26 people and 2 waitresses. We had a menu of 4 items to choose from. It took a very long time to get the first tray of food - at least 30 minutes which is kind of long, but OK since we were all socializing. However, the waitress started serving it to our table, and it didn't belong to us. She got very flustered and took the food to random people at other tables; one here, one there, etc... Second tray came up and the waitress came to our table again. Gave me and my husband our food; looked at her tray, took our food away and started apologiziing again and delivered it elsewhere. We finally got our food. It was cold. My husband had a 10 oz London broil and if there was 4 oz of meat on the plate I'd be shocked. The same with the steak medalions. They were advertised as 10 oz and there was absolutely no way there was 10 oz of steak on the plates. The wait staff tried their best but obviously the food was trayed incorrectly or something. It was a mess. Since it was a work event, the manager of our department was there and was visibly upset and finally went downstairs to talk with a manager. She took absolutely NO responsbility for the mess, throwing the wait staff and the kitchen "under the buss". Saying the girls "were having a bad night" and made comments such as "if you owned a restaurant you'd understand". She eventually came up to the group to apologize individually and then started arguing with us (the customers) saying "there's no way your food could be cold". They did comp us dessert which wasn't good either. I ordered creme brulle and it was pudding with a nasty crust on the top. I will never return to this restaurant.

1  Thank Debra H
Reviewed January 3, 2016 via mobile

My fiancé took me to Pogreba on New Year's Eve. The ambience is comfortable and romantic. We enjoyed salted caramel martinis which was like drinking dessert. They had a limited menu for the evening so I ordered the beef tenderloin and my fiancé had the 16 oz prime rib. My steak was done to perfection for me (medium-well) and I could have cut it with a butter knife. It was so tender and full of flavor, along with the mashed potatoes and fresh vegetable. The prime rib was also done perfectly and took up almost the whole plate. He also enjoyed some lobster bisque soup which he said was the best soup he has ever had. The prices were pretty high so it's not a restaurant we will visit frequently but for special occasions, we will definitely be going back to try out the rest of the menu!

Reviewed December 7, 2015 via mobile

Very interesting location in a refurbished church on the North side of La Crosse. We had drinks and hors d'oeuvres before a show. The flat bread was great. Nice tap beer assortment and pretty good wine selection. I love it when I see Fransiskaner on TAP! We'll probably go back to try dinner sometime....menu looks pretty good....definitely NOT your typical Wisconsin Supper Club. Yea!!!!!!