“Not the best”
Review of Badger Hotel

Badger Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Merrill
Reviewed 31 December 2014 via mobile

Outdated furnishings. Boasted of a whirlpool in room, but when we were in it it had nasty nasty stuff in the water, maybe from cleaners and sponges?? We only filled it and did not enter due to water. Very busy due to a sporting event in town, could have used more staff, only one person working. (besides at the bar, which was another story...)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MidwesternMom07

Reviewed 7 November 2014

Very nice place although the decor is a bit set in the 80's. But it is very clean. Young man named Jordan at the front desk was very helpful. We thought he was the new manager and was very surprised he was not. We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buddy o
Reviewed 19 October 2014 via mobile

Reserved through Hotels.com for a good price. The attendant was unfamiliar with how to find an online reservation but came through. Nice pool, hot tub & sauna. Room was a furnished with older pieces but clean & functional - soft bed:( Breakfast did include make your own waffles but only fruit was apples, no yogurt nor peanutbutter, no eggs.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our group of seven, aged 41-84, has just returned from another delightful 5 night stay at the Badger during one of Merrill's busiest weekends of the year. This little jewel is always our hotel of choice due to its cleanliness, friendliness, excellent value, convenience, and hospitality. They offer special discounts for Veterans and senior citizens and are right on the snowmobile trail for winter fun. The guest rooms, public areas, and pool/hot-tub/sauna are very clean and well maintained. Hot water and shower pressure is plentiful, the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are spotless, and the wi-fi is free. The breakfast was filling; and the full-service bar offers house-made pizza, wings, burgers, snacks, a pool table, dart board, TVs, video games and an internet jukebox. Three's Company, a family owned restaurant right next door, has excellent barbecued ribs, a decent salad bar, and a fish buffet on Friday night. Culver’s, Subway, McDonalds, an authentic Mexican restaurant, the Piggly-Wiggly grocery, and Walmart are almost within walking distance. Despite having a completely full house, everyone including the owner, his wife, and son, Joanie at the front desk, the room attendants, and the maintenance man worked overtime to provide a clean, safe, comfortable, affordable stay for their guests. The only complaint we heard from anyone at the hotel during the entire weekend was from two very rude young men who did their best to prove that the pool was too cold and said that their mama wouldn't pay for the room if they couldn't swim. We senior citizens were swimming the previous evening and found the pool was a tiny bit chilly at first, but not unreasonably so. I think that those boys just wanted a free room. It is obvious that everyone associated with the hotel has formed a "Badger Hotel family" that is committed to making the Badger Hotel the cleanest, friendliest, best maintained hotel in Merrill. We will continue to call the Badger our Wisconsin “home away from home.”

Room Tip: There are handicapped rooms available, Odd numbered rooms face a lovely wooded area, and even numbe...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Aunt_Cookie48
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Beautiful Property....Clean and comfortable rooms...spacious and all rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. There is a bar/lounge on the property..Desk clerks are outstanding and personable...this was our 5th year staying .will revisit over and over.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maggiemae321
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Let us start with the plus factors. The room was clean and the bath and shower were clean and all things were in working order. The staff was friendly and efficient. The price was average. This being said, there are some things that can bring down the rating of the establishment quickly. That would be the furnishings. First of all when I sat in the recliner in the room I almost sunk down to the floor. Maintaining a semi-consistent room temp proved to be challenging. Now for the most important of all, the bed. My wife and I felt like we were sleeping on a concrete slab. I can only hope that the ownership is in the process of renovating rooms. The room was outdated and the TV was looked as old as the room. If you plan to stay and they offer room 103, ask to check it out first.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Pro: very clean hotel!
Big con: most inhospitable place ever. In booking I was confused with all sorts of differing prices w very minimal room descriptions, so I decided to call them directly. I had the hotels website in front of me w various discounts but that told me more than the lady at the desk was able to. Finally she gave me a rate that was only a couple of dollars more than the rate I qualified for ($80. vs $78), so I avoided further hassle and just said fine & booked it. When we arrived, another lady was agitated that we were quoted lower rate than she felt we should have been & said we should pay an additional fee for our adult daughter, too. She made me feel like we were cheating them. I simply stated that I had been totally forthcoming about the 3rd person and said that was why I had booked a room with a bedroom & livingroom in the 1st place...AND if they looked at their own website, I actually paid more than posted for a state employee. She begrudgingly charged me for the 2 nights & gave me the key.
Entered the room upstairs (no elevator) to find a VERY dated, basic (used to be a super 8), low rent unit; bath, narrow room with a sofa, tube tv & chair with a tiny adjacent room holding a bed, tube tv on a stand, & 1 nightstand with hardly enough room to walk around the bed...yes clean but totally low end without any appealing elements. The bed was rock hard & painful, the nasty pullout sofa with a thin, tattered, saggy, lumpy sofa was terrible & painful as well.
In the morning at 9 going down to breakfast, I was accosted by 2 ladies who impatiently wanted to know if we wanted the room made up, because we were the only people staying on the 2nd floor and they wanted to finish up. As my daughter was sleeping, I said they wouldn't have to straighten the room but we'd need more towels (thin & small) after taking our showers.
Breakfast was awful (surprise!) too...orange juice that was 2/3 water, 2 cereal dispensers that had Kellogg's box fronts taped to them contained cheap generic cereal, a case of dry breads, tasteless waffles, weak coffee...
Found that the little fridge in the room had not been cooling all night so went to the desk for help because we had perishables . Again the unfriendly, unhelpful treatment...housekeeping gone, manager gone, no authority to make any changes, maybe I did something wrong...no resolution.
Easter Sunday, rushing around to help my aunt in the nursing home I was there to visit, I raced back to check out by noon...only to be confronted at 11:15 with one of these ladies at the door harshly asking when we would leave as checkout was at 11. I apologized about the confusion and said we'd leave within 15 mins. (Since the hotel couldn't have had more than 10% occupancy, I'm sure it was just a matter of nastiness & not because they needed the room at 11 sharp)
I could get past the poor value and depressing decor, but the attitude we received from start to finish was insulting and inexcusable. I stopped by the econolodge & americinn hotels across the street; got a lovely reception by both desk clerks who cheerfully even showed me their rooms (nicer) & invited me to stay there next visit. Heaven knows, I've been badgered by the badger hotel for the last time.

Room Tip: don't!o
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cherigo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrill
0.2 km away
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Wausau
34.6 km away
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau

Been to Badger Hotel? Share your experiences!