The Pfister Hotel
  • Pool
  • Room Service
The Plaza Hotel(Milwaukee)
2,043 results
All reviewsmason street grilltower roomblu loungehistoric sectionnewer towerclub accessart collectiontop floorlobby loungebeautiful hotelold world eleganceclub levelolder partlake viewdowntown milwaukeeclassic hotelgrand old hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here 1 night on a business trip & loved it. This is a beautiful, well-done hotel. The lobby/bar area is superb and my 2-room king suite (809) was spacious, quiet, clean, and well-appointed. I ordered breakfast via room service and it was delivered quickly & was deliciious. I will definitely stay here again and can highly recommend the hotel. I have paid much more in other cities for lessor or equal quality in a hotel.

Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank MadisonvilleGary
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Thank you so much for your copious exclamation points, that shows a lot of passion. We really appreciate you sharing your compliments with future travelers that stay with us, or are looking for hotels in the Milwaukee area. Here's to looking forward to all your future stays with us here, at the Pfister Hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Upon arriving we discovered parking was $25/per night if self-parking and $30/per night for valet. We were not given this information prior to our stay. So although we received a discounted rate by purchasing through Expedia they made up the difference with this nightly parking fee. Anyway we entered our room and immediately turned on the heat because it was cold. We the left for tea reservations upstairs at Blu. We returned hours later and our room was still very cold. We called the front desk whom dispatched maintenance. 2 maintenance men arrived promptly and attempted to repair and then left to get a new thermostat. They found out after returning to replace it that the heater was still inoperable and notified the front desk. Maintenance informed us that the front desk would be calling to give us a new room # and maintenance then gave us a $40 breakfast voucher for our inconvenience. We used the voucher the Sunday morning of our check out since we had already made breakfast plans for Saturday. Honestly the vegan breakfast pancakes we had the day before were by far much fluffier and lighter than the hotels. The hotels pancakes were quite tough, steel cut oats were overcooked and very gooey. It's no wonder they comped us breakfast-it was horrible. I guess we were hoping the food would match the hotel's luxurious style.
The most important thing to me when finding a hotel is the cleanliness and customer service...The staff were friendly and the rooms were very clean. The bed linens and towels were bright white. The carpeting was clean also. Anytime we called for service housekeeping, maintenance, or in room dining every response was prompt and timely like they were just down the hall. The bed was super comfortable. We had very good rest. I loved the luxurious feel throughout the hotel. I would stay again. I would just stick to eating out unless they get a real fine dining chef to join their team. I was not impressed with the food. And as for parking, I've seen that in other places I've visited in their downtown areas as well. So it's a fee I could live with.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phailon

Thank you so much for your review on the hotel upon your last stay with us. I do apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I am happy that we were able to accommodate you when there was an issue with the heating system. Parking charges should have been posted via Expedia's website on our page with them, as well on your confirmation letter. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Very Pretty Hotel. However, we got caught with the $30.00 per night parking fee that no one told us about.
The food is overpriced. We got a premade burger and the shrimp cocktail (6 each), 1 beer and and a glass of cava for 45.00 and the food was not that great. Tasted like pub food. We had to asked someone to be served at the bar. And hour and a half later we actually get to eat our food.
The drinks are over priced for the selection.
The woman at the front counter was very abrupt and rude when asked about the 30.00 fee.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashlyn S
JKurth, General Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Ashlyn:
Thank you very much for staying with us during your time in Milwaukee. I am happy to read you enjoyed the hotel itself, and apologize our service fell short with your meal and communciation with our downtown parking rates. We do have the overnight valet parking available for $30, and overnight self parking for $25, including unlimited in and out privileges during your time with us. I am very sorry we failed to communicate this with you ahead of your stay with us. As a direct result of your feedback, we are changing the location of the parking information from our website to also be included on the main "Directions" tab for the hotel as well in an effort to increase the visibility of this information for all travelers in an additional highly visited web page.
I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly if your schedule permits in order to follow-up in person. My direct line is 414-390-3800, or email if you prefer is joekurth@thepfisterhotel.com.
I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you very soon!
Joe Kurth - General Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Hotel Pfister perfectly combines the elegance of old world Milwaukee with contemporary service and amenities. Ask for rooms in the older part of the hotel for the true ambience. Take advantage of on site spa services and the gallery of an artist-in-residence, offering tours of the building's artwork and design. Lobby bar is a great place for people watching and catching a glass of wine. The pianist there is another hotel fixture, and he sets the mood well. Although downtown Milwaukee is lacking in its major shopping offers, a short walk to the nearby historic third ward district has funky shops, many restaurants and bars. In fair weather, the nearby Riverwalk also has nice places to eat. Also check out the Watts gallery and tea room, just one block away. Another further walk to the west, is the Milwaukee Museum, with a great collection, interesting exhibits and IMAX. As a partner in the I Prefer Hotels, you can gain extra hotel amenities with the free membership (www.iprefer.com), like late check-out, upgrades, free in-room internet and chocolates on your pillow at night. We will always stay at the Pfister, when in Milwaukee!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lplEauClaire
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Thank you so much for such a detailed review. I don't think you left any stone unturned. We are so happy that you enjoyed your last and all your stays with the Pfister. Thank you for sharing the sights and sounds of things to do downtown with other travelers, I am sure it is appreciated. We look forward to your next visit with us here.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

This is the only luxury property I've ever visited where kids aren't just welcomed but feel entirely at home. Diverse clientele with youngsters in tow enliven the beautiful lobby. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Lake views are first rate, not just from the rooms that boast them, but from the no kids allowed cocktail lounge, and the kids definitely allowed pool, both on the 23rd floor. Sorry, but must say this: BEST POOL EVER!

So, here's my Pfister story (and I'm sticking to it). I first stayed at the Pfister in August of 2010 when I was in town for my [gulp] 30th high school reunion. Loved the place so much that I wanted to bring my kids and my husband back to stay. There was just such a sense of ease, of being pampered without any of the requisite snootiness I've encountered at other luxury properties.

Fast forward to August 2011. Hubby is in Milwaukee on business. He and I decide to see if it's possible to stay overnight with the kids. I try to get rooms at the Pfister. They're booked with seven weddings. Me and the kids show up anyway, because I want them to see this lovely place. The manager confirms they have no rooms. Then he and his staff tie themselves into knots to accomodate us. We end up getting a gorgeous room at an incredible price.

Our family is officially fans of the Pfister forever.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms in the tower are newer. If you're not a millionaire and want more comodious digs, go for the older part of the hotel. That offers suites which will accomodate larger groups.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AppleNell
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Absolutely amazing! This review has just been forwarded around the hotel for everyone to see. We truly appreciate your heartfelt and original review. We here at the Pfister fight for the "can do" attitude towards our guests. To hear that you were able to get a room you love, and your entire family loved it, really makes us happy. Remember, if you really want to bring the WHOLE family, we are pet friendly too, if there is ever a puppy with you sometime.

We are happy that your are a Pfister Fans Forever, we will always be here for you too.