“Our favorite in Milwaukee.”
Review of The Pfister Hotel

The Pfister Hotel
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Pfister is our go-to hotel in Milwaukee, whether we're in town for business or pleasure. We learned the hard way after our first stay to request a Tower room because the rooms in the old part of the hotel can be cramped and noisy. Otherwise, the historic lobby is beautiful and has a great bar - an excellent meet-up spot - and the dining room is grand. Sunday brunch in the dining room has scaled back somewhat since we first started coming here and is not a great value given the more limited selection now. Room service has always been prompt and delicious with enormous portions, and other service is also quite good. I've also had several good meals at the Mason Street restaurant. Blu bar upstairs has a beautiful view and caters to a younger crowd than mine at nights. The only thing I miss at the Pfister is a minibar, though there are a few snacks provided for a price in the room. All in all, a fine hotel that we continue to return to often.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part of the hotel can be small and noisy. Request a Tower Room, but one that is not...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Pfister Hotel

Reviewed 24 March 2012

had a great time at this hotel...within walking distance of river walk and a mile from the Public museum which we did walk to. Beautiful lobby and rooms were very nice. Good Ethiopian restaurant around the corner (to be later reviewed). This hotel reminds me of the Lenox Hotel in Boston. I am impressed. The staff was also great and very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Happy to hear that your found everything so convenient and local in the respect to the hotel. Please don't hesitate to visit Milwaukee, and the Pfister Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago, and honestly I'm writing the review now because I STILL think about the bed in the room we stayed in. My boyfriend, sister, her boyfriend and I went to Milwaukee for a few days to visit my brother. My brother arranged the rooms, as I had never been to Milwaukee before and I had no idea what was a good part of town, let alone what a good hotel would be.

The hotel is gorgeous. The lobby is lush; it sort of reminds me a bit of the over-the-top grandeur of the Overlook hotel in The Shining. Complete with bronze lions at the base of the curving staircase leading up to the rooms (don't worry there are elevators too). We were in what looked like an older part of the hotel; the hallways were dated, but again, in a sort of luxuriously old way. The rooms, however, were in no way dated. We had a sort of little alcove where our room door and my sister's room door was in a recess in the hallway, so we were somewhat secluded from the rest of the hall. We had a King room, and it was amazing. Our room was a corner room, so two of the walls were windows floor to ceiling. It wasn't a gigantic room, but it was tastefully (and lushly) furnished, complete with the most comfortable pillowtop mattress I have ever in my life slept on. Seriously, I actually made inquiries when we left as to where they go their matresses.

There were comfy bathrobes, the bathroom was fantastic, and everything just had that air of being a bit higher class. The big, heavy comforter on the bed was amazing, and everything was spotless.

I honestly don't remember eating at the hotel... But we did eat not too far from there (Carnivore), which was also fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel. The only reason it's not 5 stars it's because it's pretty expensive. But I'd say if you can spend it, it's worth it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Wow, seems like we may have made a lasting (resting) impression on you. I am so happy to hear that you had an amazing rest and enjoyed the hotel so thoroughly. I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience in such a detailed manner with other travelers. Thank you so much, and we really look forward to having you with us again very soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is a beautiful historic hotel downtown, and I definitely would stay here on any visit to Milwaukee. The rooms are tastefully decorated, well appointed and very comfortable. I highly recommend it.

The only thing that went wrong, and only on this second visit, is that room service consistently messed up our orders. They messed up our breakfast twice and dinner once. They kept writing off the charges, but it was a bit odd and annoying that they could not seem to get it right.

Room Tip: The hotel is circular, so all rooms have outward-facing windows. The ones with lake views have part...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

What a truthful review. Thank you for mentioning how you enjoyed the hotel. I do apologize that you experienced some issues with you in room dining experience. We can humbly admit, that we too run into bumps in the road, and we appreciate that you voice your opinion to us, and let us know so that we may remedy the issues as fast as possible to ensure your next stay is perfection. We look forward to having you back with us, and thank you.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is what hotels were and should still be. A truly wonderful experience. The hotel is a throwback to elegance of another era. We stayed in a king suite in the historic portion of the hotel. The room is spacious and comfortable. Amenities are of the best quality.
You have to visit the lobby lounge. Have a cocktail by the fireplace and enjoy the great service and atmosphere.
I can't recommend this hotel more highly. The best hotel in Milwaukee. No offense to the Hyatt or the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the spectacular review, we really love hearing that our guest love the old world charm of our hotel. Surprisingly enough, we will actually be celebrating 119 years next month. Please do visit us again soon, we would love to have you.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Wow! What an amazingly wealthy city Milwaukee must have been at one point in time! This hotel is a testament to that bygone era of astounding prosperity.

The valet/bellman is a very nice and solicitous chap and Tracy on the front desk is a delight. Their hard work and their dedication to good customer service was obvious throughout my short stay.

Be warned that there appear to be maintenance issues in some of the guestrooms, but as long as you can live with them, then you should be happy enough with your stay at the Pfister. Try to get a room in the original section of the hotel as opposed to the tower unless you desire a room with a view or you need the extra silence that one can get by being a bit higher up in the air.

Self-parking in the garage across the street from the hotel, in the building with the Irish pub Blackthorn on the corner, is $10 per day less than parking in the hotel's garage. If you don't mind using a ground lot or parking a few blocks away and walking to the hotel, then you can score parking for even less than either the $15 demanded by the garage across from the hotel or the $25 for self-parking in the hotel's garage. I paid $10 per day, but had I walked another block or two, for a short four or five block walk to the hotel in total, I could have enjoyed $8 daily weekend parking in the garage where the Wells Fargo bank is located on the corner of Wisconsin and Water if I recall correctly. The front desk informed me that you can't park on the streets of downtown Milwaukee overnight without risking being ticketed or towed. Something to remember in the event that you decide to stay at the Pfister or another hotel in downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

Thank you so much for your review. Yes, Milwaukee in it's golden era was a very wealthy city indeed, and local tycoons gave us great historic gifts, which we still cherish today. Such as the Pfister Hotel, which was a gift to the city from Guido Pfister a local leather tanner. With this appreciated comes age, and as you mentioned, we are doing some extensive renovations to the historic building as we speak, to keep the grand dame in tip-top shape.

Please do visit us again soon, and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

This hotel goes above and beyond in every category. Be prepared to be spoiled with top notch customer service from parking to check out. If you aren't familiar with the area they are quick to advise you on where to dine, have an adult beverage, or different happenings in the area. The ambiance of the hotel is breath taking accompanied by doormen that are more than gracious with each of your requests. Whether it be for romance, bussiness, or other purposes this hotel is a must to spoil yourself!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Thank you so much for the heartfelt review, this is definitely one that we will share with our entire staff. We love our guests to feel spoiled without having to break the bank. It seems as if you truly enjoyed your Pfister Experience.