“Pleasantly Surprised”

Pastiche Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #437 of 1,596 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Description: Pastiche at the Metro is serving classic French cuisine in the heart of downtown Milwaukee. Join us for breakfast, lunch, dinner or your special event! Located inside the historic Hotel Metro we have space for your events up to 150 people!
Reviewed January 22, 2017

We’ve eaten many great meals at the Pastiche when it was located in Bay View. After reading the reviews of their new restaurant in downtown Milwaukee, I was a little skeptical. But I am happy to report, we were all very pleased with a very good meal and excellent service. There were four of us and we had dinner reservations for a recent Friday night. We were seated immediately. The dining room feels sophisticated and sleek, but warm and welcoming, with nice table linens and settings. Our server, I think his name was Cris, was very prompt and polite and made the evening very enjoyable with his humor and knowledge of the menu items. We started with an appetizer, the CHARCUTERIE PLATE, a nice and very flavorful selection of pates, meats and sausages. For the main entrée, I ordered the cassoulet, a delicious mix of slow-cooked white beans with pork shoulder and belly, duck confit, smoked pork shank, sausage and lamb. A phenomenal French dish that I have had before but it continues to impress me and leaves me extremely satisfied. My wife had the mushroom risotto. She said it was fantastic. My daughter had the Mahi Mahi special and raved about the great taste. We ordered a single dessert, the lemon tart and shared amongst the four of us. All I can say is it was a perfect finish to a wonderful dinner. I can’t wait to come back and I highly recommend you try it also.

Reviewed January 8, 2017

There were 4 of us (2 celebrating birthdays) for our visit to Pastiche.

It was a Friday night and the restaurant was not very busy.

Our server was friendly and explained the specials and took a drink order.

We selected 4 different entrees: skate, salmon, chicken, and pork. The skate was a bit too salty and the salmon was very fishy.

It was, at best, an OK experience.

While we have had a good experience with the Bay View location, we will not return to Hotel Metro.

Reviewed October 24, 2016 via mobile

Dined here for lunch. Food was amazing. Risotto was perfect. However waitstaff seemed new and unsure of themselves. Longer wait time. Will try again soon.

1  Thank iceal1
Reviewed October 9, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I took my mother in law here for her birthday and it was a great choice! Even though we had a reservation we had to wait about 15 minutes which wasn't a huge deal as we had drinks at the bar while we waited. For starters my husband ordered the charcuterie plate and oysters, I got the French onion soup and my MIL got the cauliflower soup...all were very good. For entrees my husband ordered the swordfish special, I got the lamb (which was out of this world with a fig sauce, carrots, and little potatoes) and my mother in law got the coq-au-vin which she really enjoyed. We were all stuffed but we got desserts anyway! My husband got the crime brûlée, my MIL got the almond cake which was very good, and I got the lemon tart which was everyone's favorite. The decor leaves a little bit to be desired but service was excellent and food was amazing. Would definitely go back!

Reviewed October 8, 2016

For the second time in a row we were very disappointed in our experience at Pastiche. After making reservations, a few months ago we waited 45 minutes and this time an hour for our table. This was no way to begin an anniversary celebration. Once seated, our waiter immediately took our food order which was helpful, since it was now 8:15 pm. (our reservation was 7:00pm). Our bottle of white wine was poured, but then was not chilled in any sort of container -- it was simply placed on our table. Our entrees were good, but we were not expecting to begin dining at 9:00 pm. Too late for dessert and coffee. Not sure what is going on with handling reservation timing at Pastiche. We were not the only group of 4 subjected to a wait of an hour. Additionally, when you dine at a Parisian Bistro, you expect Parisian music -- not the likes of Michael Jackson and Taylor Swift. Absolutely no bistro style ambiance.

2  Thank hollym2525