“Good value at the new BE in Shorewood”
Review of Blue's Egg

Blue's Egg
Ranked #3 of 1,666 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Blue's takes a fine dining approach to classic American brunch, all week long. Old World ingredients and techniques inspire modern breakfast and lunch dishes. Blue's is available for private events in the evening.
Reviewed August 30, 2018

I had read about Blue's Egg for years, and my curiosity was piqued when the new second location opened not too faar from my home. I had heard about the long queues and long waits at the original location, so that early on a weekday morning offered the opportunity to try the new BE. It is not cheap, but the portions and quality or the food makes the food a good value. I ordered a pretty standard item, two eggs with meat and hash browns and coffee. The cost was a little more--but not that much--than at places such as Ma Fischer's. but the food was unusually good: The eggs were jumbos and were of a freshness one seldom encounters. The hash browns were extraordinarily good, crisp and neither burned, as I sometime do at home, nor underdone, as is frequently the case when eating breakfast out. Coffee seemed a bit pricey, but, on reflection, it turned out to be a good value. First of all, the cup was large and "bottomless," meaning unlimited refills. Bottomless coffee cups are a Midwestern tradition--I don't recall seeing them during my many years in Boston--but Midwestern coffee is traditionally rather weak--you often can see the bottom of the supposedly bottomless cup. Coffee here, however, was strong and very good--free trade beans, it says--and is served in very large cups, taller and larger than mugs. Sugar offerings include turbinado sugar, sucralose, aspartame, and saccharin, and cream is served in tim=ny stainless steel pitchers, rather than the usual plastic portion control cups. Toast was made on high-end bread and served with a platter containing small trenchers of whipped butter and homemade preserves, as well as a larger trencher filled with a generous portion of seedless red grapes. It was too early in the day to try one of their high-end specialties--variations on Eggs Benedict, crab cakes, and stuffed has browns, but this experience motivated me to come again later on another weekday to satisfy my curiosity. One thing was not that good a value was the monkey bread, highly praised in local newspaper and magazine reviews. It was by no means bad, but it did not really differ much from a small caramelized sweet roll, at a price of $3.25 for a modestly-sized piece. For an extra dollar one can get it "crunked," that is doused in sweet whiskey sauce, which I did not try. Again, ti was by no means bad, but it was not a gustatory experience on a level with the extraordinary treatment of a standard breakfast that I had.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 29, 2018

Food is great! Not your run-of-the-mill! Nice portions, great service and goodies to go! It was an off-day for me and I wanted to treat myself to something out of the ordinary!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed August 28, 2018

We had a business group at the Blue Egg for a "thank you" breakfast. Everything was delicious. The food portions were large, so when we packed up our leftovers, they even gave us the real maple syrup to take home!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Breakfast is easy. Blues egg takes breakfast to another level. Constantly great food, service and of course coffee!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

We are here often. I try to take my mom out for lunch as often as I can and this is the place that she always suggests that we go to. They have a wonderful menu and if you are in the area I highly recommend stopping in. The dishes are unusual, hearty and filling. Ingredients are always fresh. service is always very good. I think we’ve tried everything on the menu from the salads to the eggs Benedict. They also Brew a very fine cuppa coffee.

Date of visit: July 2018