“The Rep Confusing Trickery with Marketing”

Milwaukee Repertory Theater
Ranked #31 of 200 things to do in Milwaukee
Reviewed November 14, 2017

A 6"x9" postcard Christmas Carol advertisement in very large type advertised Save 20% Purchase before November 19th in no less than 5 Prominent locations on the front and back of the card.
When I went to redeem the discount in person at the box office on November 9th for 7 seats at the Dec 22nd Christmas Carol show, the ticket seller could not understand why the computer would not provide the special pricing. She looked all over the card, and finally after several tries went to check with the supervisor. With great embarrassment she returned to tell me that there is very tiny type, so tiny even her young eyes could not see it, and that the type read the discount was not available for shows after Dec 12th. I wish I could use a font that small for this part of the review, but I cannot. When even the Box office staff cannot see the tiny tiny type on their large advertising mailer, something is very wrong. I expect this at a small used car lot....not the Milwaukee Rep. I spent $492.00 but I will hesitate to patronize again when the Rep's marketing team uses trickery to get people to the box office. We spent days coordinating family member schedules with out-of-towners to get together on a date we could all be together, and it was too late to ask members to change travel plans to Milwaukee. Very, very dissappointed in this amateur level marketing ploy.

All reviews
"refreshments"
"lobby"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

Into second year of having a matinee subscription series and just loving the experience. Even if the play is less than expected, one can always count on great performances, interesting set design and fabulous seats. The affordability of tickets and the ability to change dates and times if necessary make 'taking a chance' on a play risk free. Love it.

Reviewed October 23, 2017

We recently visited this theater for a live performance of Guys & Dolls... it was very well done. The only complaint we had was that the theater was very warm and the air conditioning wasn't working. When you have a theater full of people it gets warm and stuffy. We were a group of 4 and we were all uncomfortable.

Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I have been to theatre in Nee York, Chicago, Madison, and Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Rep is as nice a place as any. This is a small venue but is comfortable, great view from any seat, and the refreshments are outstanding. We actually are looking forward to the next show!

1  Thank JMH H
See more reviews
Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

The Milwaukee Rep is one of the most valuable assets of Milwaukee. The thought provoking and powerful performances rival anything seem on Broadway and the interesting plays selected and performed make for a burst of creativity for all of us season ticket holders.
I have been attending the Rep for a few decades and I continue to be amazed by the quality of their productions. Don't miss an opportunity to attend!