“My favorite custard in the city”

Leon's Frozen Custard Drive-in
Ranked #1 of 25 Quick Bites in Milwaukee
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed October 2, 2018

Everyone has their favorite custard stand and they are all great, but this is my favorite. Rich thick wonderful custard. This is mostly just treats. They offer a sloppy joe, but I've only gone for custard, custard, CUSTARD! Sundaes and cones

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank George B

Reviewed September 28, 2018

I had looked for something unique to see in Milwaukee during my weekend visit. I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere that this place might have been an inspiration for Arnold's in the Happy Days series from the 70's, so I put it on my short list of places to see. Maybe I was just in a bad mood but I found the parking lot to be annoyingly small, the window staff to be of average friendliness at best, and my double-scoop of custard to be overpriced. I took a couple of pictures and got out of there. I'm sure it's a special place for kids or if you grew up here with it, as it definitely feels old, but I didn't find it to be too special as a tourist.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank BRADLEY F
Reviewed August 26, 2018

Leon's is a Milwaukee institution for frozen custard. When we pulled up, I thought I had been transported back to Fonzie's Happy Days. Leon's looks like a vintage custard stand with neon lights and people standing around eating frozen custard. And let me tell you, the frozen custard is the bomb. I had the vanilla - a cone piled high with deliciousness. If you are in Milwaukee, Leon's is the place to go. The only downside is that there is no where to sit - people were hanging out by their cars.

1  Thank happywanderer856
Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

This is a Milwaukee icon and as such has Good and bad things going for it.

Pros-You like custard this is the holy grail. Not ice cream. Portions are a value and variety of flavors outstanding. Food includes the usual American standard of burgers, dogs and fries. Slushees always refreshing.

Cons- This is a popular place on a congested corner of Oklahoma and 27th St. Carefully approach the entrance because every driver has a cone in their hand and is distracted. Lots of spilled ice cream. Watch your step!

Worth a visit once to get that Happy Day’s nostalgic feeling!

1  Thank toddw377
Reviewed August 18, 2018

The best frozen custard. My partner and I have travelled from North Carolina to Milwaukee 3 times and each time Leon's was a priority visit. By far the creamiest custard. Its in this weird state between frozen and almost melting. The vanilla is not quite french, nice and sweet. The chocolate slightly bitter (it is my favorite). They offer butter pecan and a flavor of the day, maybe. I don't know. I just get 3 scoops of chocolate and vanilla. Iconic neon. Tight parking lot. A must visit.

1  Thank Michael G