“Butter, butter, butter & burgers”
Review of Solly's Grille

Solly's Grille
Ranked #124 of 1,666 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Solly’s Grille is an 82 year old small cafe/diner. You sit on swivel stools with backs at two horseshoe counters. Our butter burgers were originated in 1936 by my stepfather Kenneth Salmon. We also serve our homemade pies, tuna salad, chicken salad, cold dinner salads and old fashioned chocolate banana malted milk shakes to die for. Our Farmstyle breakfasts are very popular made with lots of love and local Wisconsin butter and cheese. Pancakes, eggs and apple wood smoked bacon are early morning favorites. We have been seen on the FoodNetwork and Travel Network and we are recipients of many local and National awards. If you’re looking for an independent restaurant that still cooks with high quality sirloin, ice cream, Wisconsin butter and fresh cold locally purchased lettuce and tomatoes, you might want to stop in when you’re in our area. We hope to see you soon and enjoy your trip through beautiful Wisconsin.
Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

Helps to like butter, but very tasty & clean place. They cook in & put butter on the burgers, so if you don’t like butter, stay away, otherwise, a must eat at restaurant. We all had burgers & fries so can’t speak about anything else.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

If you like a diner atmosphere with butter butter and more butter on top of an average burger, then this place is for you. Limited seating.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed March 2, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I just tried to have breakfast at Solly’s. We were greeted by the owner who was very nice. We first sat at a small two top table in the corner for about ten minutes. We were not acknowledged there so we decided it would be easier for the waitress if we sat at the bar. We are patient people. The waitress never acknowledged us or even looked at us but the owner came over to ask what we would like to drink. I said coffee please and my husband said tea. He must have told the waitress so she came over with the coffee and I tried to ask for water but she walked away. Still never looking at us. When she came back with the tea I tried again for the water and she walked away once again not even looking at us. She came back over and I tried for water the third time and this is when she finally looked at me and said (in the most snottiest tone).....I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TWO TIMES!!! Needless to say, we left. Just look at your customers, lady and we will know you heard us. That’s all.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank LoriS817
Reviewed February 28, 2018

Tried this place after reading so much about it. The butter burgers are just that - classic burger cooked, served in lots of butter. Fun to sit at the counter and have lunch. Enjoyed the experience. I don't think my waist line or blood pressure could handle a more than once a year visit - but you need to go so you can say you've been there!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed February 27, 2018

Milwaukee local brought me here for the butter burgers. I had never had one and it was great - buttery goodness with cooked onions, soft bun. Also had an excellent vanilla malt where they serve it to you old style, pour it in a glass and give you the remainder of the metal container. Thin enough to drink through a straw and just the right amount of malt. It's really difficult to find places that serve malts anymore. Old style restaurant with two U-shaped counters, good service, and hot short order cook sporting a tattoo.

Date of visit: February 2018