“Wonderful B&B”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sparta
Strawberry Lace Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Sparta B&B and Inns
Aurora, Colorado
“Wonderful B&B”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

What a great bed and breakfast. It was immaculate and beautifully restored. The hosts Jack and Elsie were very accommodating of our schedule and prepared breakfast earlier than they normally would just so that my husband could participate in a marathon in nearby Norwalk. The breakfasts were more like brunch with multiple scrumptious courses. Staying here was like staying at home. They made you feel very welcome and shared the entire B&B with us. Of all the B&B's we've stayed at in the past, this is by far the best and has the best innkeepers. They were very hospitable and we would not hesitate to stay here in the future or to recommend their B& B to others. On a scale of 1 to 10, this would be a 10.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My family was very disappointed in their experience at Strawberry Lace B & B. I am not sure how they were rated so highly in previous reviews. The owners make you feel very uncomfortable and service was not very accomodating. Breakfast was strictly at 8am for everyone and if you failed to tell them the night before that you would not be coming to breakfast they acted very upset and put out that you didn't come to breakfast. All the outside lights are turned off at night making it very difficult to find your way to the house and get in. The owners said they turn out the lights so that people don't come to the door looking for vacancies. My young adult neices and nephews arrived after us and based on the fact that they looked young and didn't think they would be someone staying at their establishment, literally almost turned them away, not allowing them to enter the house until they were questions and the owner was convinced that they had reservations under a family name. I was very upset about the way they were treated. My family members had come into town for a wedding, reserved all of the rooms in the house, and they were not made to feel welcome at all. These owners should not be in the B & B business! I will never recommend this establishment to anyone.

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank WisconsinMeme
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The innkeepers are full of welcome and hospitality. They have renovated this home with great love and effort, and have a beautiful collection of antiques. The breakfast is superb--four courses served on china with silver. We had a lovely conversation with the other guests.

Our room (the Rose Room) did have a bathroom without a door, but we felt there was enough privacy. The room on the third floor does not have a private toilet/shower (it's in the room). Just a note of caution.

We will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I was really impressed. Don't let the older website and lack of an online registration system lull you into thinking this is not a TOP notch place, because it is. (I'm a web designer, so I do sometimes make the mistake of judging the inn by it's website) Elsie and Jack have a discernible love and passion for what they do, and it shows from the minute they greet you at the front door. After 16 years of doing this, I'm amazed that they can still generate such genuine interest and care for their guests. Probably one of the top B&B hosts we've met, and we've been around the world. The place is spotless, the beds are extremely comfy, bathrooms well appointed - though DO NOTE that the Tower Room has the bathroom (and toilet) literally IN the room. And our room, the Rose Room, has a separate bathroom, but no door. So if you are on a romantic getaway with a new flame, I'd pick a different room. If you're an old married couple and don't mind sending each other downstairs to the parlor for a spell, no worries. :) We stayed with friends to bike the Elroy-Sparta trail, and they thoroughly enjoyed the stay too. We stayed up talking in the comfortable back sunroom/porch, which would also be a great spot to play board games or cards. The 4 course breakfast was wonderful and we had a great time connecting with Elsie & Jack and the other fun couples staying the night. A truly excellent experience, I would go back anytime.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We spent this past weekend in Sparta, Wisc. for my husbands 30th high school reunion. I found the Strawberry lace B&B on line, but had no idea what to expect. Often times web sites look better on line than in person but this lovely B&B was more than we expected ! The web site is great and accurate! From the moment we arrived we were made to feel like family by the owners, Elsie & Jack. They couldn't have been more warm and welcoming. We stayed in The Major's room. Everything was so clean and comfortable. While my husband golfed, I spent several hours on Saturday in the beautiful sunroom just reading, watching tv and napping. I've never felt comfortable enough to explore any other B&B, let alone take a nap!! Elsie checked in on me after a couple of hours to see if I needed anything and we just chatted for a while. She was so sweet! So many interesting antiques in every room you go through. The five course breakfasts were amazing. Elsie has 40 different recipes for breakfast. She loves to cook and Jack serves, describes each course and clears the table, not to mention shares a wonderful story or two. They are quite a team and so funny and charming. It was without a doubt the best experience we've ever had at a B&B and we will look forward to our next reunion visit and wouldn't even consider staying anyplace else!! Another thing to mention is it's right in the heart of Sparta. Only 4 blocks to town which was very convenient .

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Alabama
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My husband and I stayed here, we absolutely loved it. Jack and Elsie are such wonderful people they are attentive and friendly. The house is absolutely amazing. We are from AL and this was my first time to Wisconsin. I arrived on a late flight and Jack was willing to wait up past Midnight to make me feel welcome. It worked out that my husband was there before me. They gave us a marvelous breakfast every morning and wonderful tips for seeing the beautiful sights up there. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
morton, illinois
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We stayed here because it happened to be on the way back from Minnesota and it appeared to be comfortable.

We were not disappointed in the comfort level. We stayed in the Major's room and found it to be very well appointed. Nice king sized bed. Nice antiques in the room. Temperature was perfect. No noise.

Jack and Elsie are very accomodating and serve an above average breakfast. They know the area well and can provide good tips and suggestions.

The downsides:
The Tower room is way up there. Very steep steps. If you have trouble with steps at all, don't stay there. As another reviewer noted, the bathroom is open to the room. That was a deciding factor for us not to stay in the room.

The night we arrived, they were having a Stamp party. This exacerbated the fact that they have no parking. We had to park down the street and move later. Our feeling was since they have no offstreet parking, a space should have been saved for us as hotel guests. The party also made the downstairs all but off limits. We could have joined the party, but neither of us into stamping.

Sparta is the biking capital of the world. Your fellow guests are likely to be bicyclists. If you enjoy biking, you will be thrilled to discuss the joys of a 32 mile bike ride and how all railroad lines should be turned into a giant bike path. If you are not a bicyclist, you are likely to be bored to tears.

The rating is neutral but could go up depending on your perspective.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank winpop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparta
3.5 km away
Lark Inn
#3 of 11 in Tomah
0.5 km away
Franklin Victorian Bed & Breakfast

Been to Strawberry Lace Inn? Share your experiences!