“Oddities and quirkiness”
Review of House on the Rock

House on the Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: You have to walk on a ramp through the treetops to reach the entrance of this remarkable house, built in the 1940s.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very difficult to describe the experience at House on the Rock. We bought the complete package (Section 1,2 and 3). We started our trek at 12.15pm and ended (exhausted) three hours later at 3.15pm. Thankfully we had our good walking shoes on. So much to see and so much walking to do but very worth it. The "house" is not only ON the rock but in it too. It's quirky and impressive. The other sections have tons upon tons of oddities to gaze at and such a huge collection of organs of all shapes and sizes. You are given tokens with your entrance ticket which you can spend on the many musical gadgets to listen to the haunting music. Most impressive are the beautiful carousels which are illuminated by thousands upon thousands of light bulbs. The place looks like a dream world. My only criticism is that it wasn't always clear which path to take. Signs marked "continue" should also have been numbered so as to ensure that nothing is missed. Also the air-conditioning in certain sections wasn't effective enough. Advice for you if you plan to visit, allow enough time as there is so much to see, and make sure you wear comfortable shoes.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So a friend's mother booked our whole Monday for this 4 hour drive attraction- I googled it but I promise it doesn't come close to what awaits after those amazing big doors and sleeper beams entrance.

History, challenges and just an inspiration of what dreams can achieve and how much we an inspire people around us. A great entrepreneur this man was but boy was he a soul to enjoy.

Read everything possible and have 2 phones,2 power-banks and 2 ameras on hand at all times! Take your time and arrive early to get a parking close to the exit (you'll need it).

From a tiny house with a extravagant view, take courageous and walk the viewing deck. Throw as much coins as possible in the music rooms and stand in wonder of how one man achieved all of that from 50 cents.

The biggest carousel in the world weighing 36 tons and having 20 000 light bulbs (job security I presume). Enjoy a ice-cream while seeing old cars, from a Mercedes to a mosaic one.

Enter the rooms in awe and enjoy the whale and octopus scenery. The last photo of the creator was taken in the whale's mouth (you'll understand why this is worth noting)

Just take you time and enjoy what visions and dreams have to offer.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I'll be honest, Section 1 left me a little confused and disappointed. I was wondering why I paid $25 to see this, but Section 2 made up for it and left me blown away! I can't describe it, the collection of collections... Just one of those collections alone wouldn't interest me in the least, but seeing and experiencing them all together was crazy enough to make me love this place! Bring a couple single dollar bills to buy tokens to play the various machines - they're neat to see. Some will make you say WOW!, some will make you laugh, and some will make you roll your eyes. :) In all, a wild place worth the visit. Plan on spending all afternoon there if you do all three sections- and you should.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

We had a mini-family reunion with family coming from Washington state and northern California to visit us in Michigan. Since we were planning to go to Door County, Wisconsin anyway, friends highly recommended a side trip to the House on the Rock. We took the 3-part tour and spent two days to thoroughly enjoy the property and gardens and were so grateful we did. It really is impossible to try to describe everything you will see and experience. The engineering marvel of the house is only a part of what is offered.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

This is a one of kind attraction in the middle of winding roads in Wisconsin. It is an experience that can not be seen anywhere else. Do all 3 parts.