“An interesting glassworks in Sturgeon Bay”

Popelka Trenchard Glass
Ranked #10 of 42 things to do in Sturgeon Bay
Houston, Texas
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“An interesting glassworks in Sturgeon Bay”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stopped by the Popelka-Trenchard Glass (PTG) studio on a Sunday morning, since it was only a few blocks from our B&B. This was a serendipitous decision, for the PTG is a modest, but interesting glass studio, and we ended up spending quite a bit more time there than one might have thought given its small size. Mr. Popelka is the glass blower and he was glad to give us a tour through the shop adjoining the showroom (there was no activity that day in the shop, I gather since it was Sunday). As I understood it, Ms. Trenchard is the artist and designs most of the pieces which they then realize in glass. They offer a number of different styles; this means a visitor may be more likely find something they like. For example, I personally did not care greatly for the distinctive cast glass sculptures, but I found very attractive the heavy blown-glass bowls and vases which featured high-temperature paintings remarkably evocative of Van Gogh sunflowers. Mr. Popelka was a very amiable gentleman in showing us around and even offered our youngest a small hand-made glass dog. Overall, the PTG was a nice discovery on a quiet street in town, and I hope we'll have the chance to visit again in the near future.

Visited July 2011