“Bad Service”

Highlands Cafe
Ranked #45 of 106 Restaurants in Wauwatosa
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 25, 2016

My daughter and I had lunch at Highlands Cafe on Sunday and the server, Kelly, was rude as soon as we sat down. She brought us menus and said the grill was closing at 2 p.m....it was 1:58 p.m. When she came back to the table we thought we would order coffee drinks, she said the barista was leaving but she said we could order food. So we did along with two bloody mary's. When she brought the bloody marys with the beer chasers, she knocked over one of the chasers and just seemed disgusted, she did not apologize even though it spilled on my daughters lap. After the food was served she neglected to give us napkins and silverware. She did not check in ONCE while we were eating. Actually, the food was good and so was the bloody marys but I WOULD NOT go back due to the poor service.

Reviewed January 12, 2016

I've enjoyed the cafe's various hash plates for breakfast and lunch, but today I tried the new sweet potato corn cakes for lunch. Smooth and flavorful - perfect for a cold day. Plus great conversation with the owner about future plans.

Reviewed October 21, 2015

This is a great place for lunch or dinner. We occasionally stop in just before a movie.

There are several sandwiches that I favor: the BLT&G (avocado BLT), Chicken salad, Tuna Salad and Chicken Avocado. Choice of bread-toasted or not. All sandwiches come with homemade Kettle Chips and pickle. I decline the chips and instead sub out for a fruit salad. (The chips are good,-- too good.)

The rating is downgraded because the service is consistently slow. It's puzzling because it doesn't take much to make sandwiches and the restaurant (when we have been there) is not busy. The server may have two tables cashing out, and instead of bringing the two checks she does one at a time--to conclusion. Not very efficient.

We still love the place. Friendly service good sandwiches. Very cool atmosphere for both front and back dining rooms. The outdoor patio is also very nice.

Reviewed June 18, 2015

I've been wanting to try the Highlands Cafe for some time now, and this week I had the opportunity to go twice in three days. The first time I went for lunch with my daughter. I had the BLT&G (the G is for guacamole) and it was excellent! She raved about her Black & Blue Burger as well. Both came with house-made chips, which were a bit greasy, but I confess I ate all of mine. :) The iced tea served in a quart jar was fresh and tasted homemade. My daughter had an Arnold Palmer made with blueberry tea and lemonade--sweet and delicious.

The second visit was for dinner, before seeing a movie at the Times Cinema just a block away. My friend had the Black & Blue Burger, at my suggestion, and I got to try the Chicken Bruschetta, which is essentially a chicken sandwich on a ciabatta roll with chopped tomatoes, pesto mayo and melted mozzarella. It was very tasty. If I go back again I'll try the Caprese sandwich.

We didn't experience any of the service issues mentioned by other reviewers here. The server on my second visit was new, but very attentive. Perhaps they've hired new wait staff or the management is making customer service a higher priority. I recommend giving it a try, even if you've had a bad experience in the past. Keep in mind, however, they're not open for dinner every night, so check their hours before you go.

Reviewed March 25, 2015

Love coming here for breakfast or brunch. Great drinks menu, Bloody Mary comes in a quart jar and has nice spice. Many of their other drinks are inventive and delicious! Weekdays are slower & quiet, weekends can get busy & loud, so plan accordingly. This is a popular place for families, so there may be kids.