“Beautiful room for two nights, condo the third night...amazing!”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #54 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Everything we experienced at this hotel was A++++ from check in to check out. There was one elevator in the condo part of the hotel that was not working but there were other elevators located on each floor (which I found out after I walked up 4 flights of stairs). I will definately go back to the Chula Vista when visiting again.

Room Tip: I was emailed an offer to upgrade to a suite for $14 extra per night. It was worth it...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Becky V, Guest Relations Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Holly H-

Thank you for your review. We are glad you had a great stay! We are excited for your return!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,266)

Reviewed 18 November 2017

I just returned from a large group meeting at Chula Vista over 4 days. My comments seemed to be echoed but many of my colleagues.

The lighting in the rooms was very minimal to the extent that it was very difficult to see clothing in the hang up open closet and the bathroom lighting was poor and the fans are reported as very loud in a number of rooms, mine included. A number of the wall switches did not energize anything.

The water pressure in my bathroom was very low ( floor 5).

The wifi thoughout the hotel complex was virtually unusable.

The housekeeping was spotty at best- I had a wet shower mat on the floor for two days for example.

The hotel does not provide soap but instead dispensers only and as one of my colleagues said one needs to wonder who touched those before me.

The complex is confusing and spread out longitudinally so bring your walking shoes.

The staff was very friendly that was a positive; the only restaurant was ok but one morning we were handed a coffee pot with soap suds on the outside.

I will be stringy urging my group not to return there.

Jim M-

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass your comments along to our housekeeping department and mangement team. We are currently working on creating new navigational signage. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here based on a friend of our recommending the place. While the staff was friendly, there were many flaws. I called each day for service to our room while we were gone so when we'd return my 1 year old could take her nap. Each day it wasn't done! I've never stayed at an establishment that is that lax on taking care of guests. I ended up calling for trash bags and a sponge and cleaned up myself before we checked out.
The Murphy bed was rigged and extremely uncomfortable as well as the other 2 queen beds. Makes you wonder when the mattresses were rotated or even changed out!
I also had no idea that slides were shut down or attractions were unavailable until after check in. Everything was heavily doused in chlorine and we were later told that someone deficated in the hot tub. There was also green mold in places! Overall, it was a hot mess!
As a result, my children are all sick and I am too. We were so looking forward to having a fun place to go. Maybe we'll give you another try in the near future.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine S
Becky V, Guest Relations Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Christine S-

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about the frustrations you experienced during your stay. Please check your private messages. We hope you will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

First our room was only some what cleaned. When we walked in the room first thing we saw laying in the middle of the floor was a glove. How was this not vacuumed up by the cleaning staff? When we went to use the ice bucket it was half full of water. We had to wait over 90 minutes to get a new plastic bag for the bucket. We only had hand towels in the bathroom no towels or washcloths. We met up with our friends and called down to the restaurant followed the prompts on the phone to leave our order. Sent someone down to make sure they got the order. He was told they didn't have that order. He tried to give the manager the written order and was told he had to call it in. We called the first time at 6pm we finally got our food after 9pm. Then in the morning one of our disabled friends starting calling at 7:45 to have a bellhop bring her a cart so she could get her bags down to the lobby. She kept calling and calling. I went to the desk and was told the bellhop couldn't find a luggage rack to help her. I found a luggage rack and asked to have the bellhop go help her. I was very rudely told to go help her myself. Are you kidding me ?? Since when is it my job to provide customer service to your customers??? NEVER AGAIN. I belong to many Child Care Organizations I will be sharing with them and strongly encouraging them not to have any more conferences at Chula Vista.

3  Thank Christy H
Becky V, Guest Relations Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Christy H-

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the frustrations you experienced during your stay. We will pass your comments along to our Housekeeping department and management team. If you would like to further discuss your stay please do not hesitate to reach out to us at info@chulavistaresort.com or call (608)678-3119. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Stayed there the weekend of Halloween 10/27-10/29 and on Saturday we heard a loud noise first in the hallway...my daughter stated that was the fire alarm..then we heard the noise in the condo...we quickly gathered everyone (8) of us and dashed out the room...everyone was in the hallway panicking...we all darted for the stairs..that is when I noticed an elderly lady across the hall from me scared and crying..I stopped to help her...we were on the highest floor the sixth floor..made it down to the first floor and was met by smoke...we were informed someone had a fog machine...got the all clear...returned to the room and between 11:30pm and midnight the alarm went off again...this time we were all in the bed and I had to get up a one year old and a nine month infant and run right back out the condo to find out it was a false alarm and a drunk guest set it off. AT THIS TIME ITIS AFTER MIDNIGHT and I could not get the babies to go back to sleep. They finally dozed off at about 6 am and then I tried to get sleep but had to be up at 8 am to go to the club presentation. I WAS SO TIRED THATI REALLY DID NOT PAY ATTENTION and the one year old went right back to sleep during the presentation. The Presentation was over at 11 am and check out was at noon.. I had time enough to pack up and hit the road for a 2 hour drive...I stopped at the main front desk and the concierge lady took my info and told me someone would call me in 72 hours..today is Nov 7, 2017 and I HAVE ET TO RECEIVE THAT PHONE CALL. My older kids was so looking forward to staying here...we have stayed here several time in the past ten years but had not been back since 2010. my 9 YEAR OLD is sacred that if we return we might be trapped in areal fire this time and we were on the top floor.. I use to love this place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Becky V, Guest Relations Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Tony O-

We are so sorry about all the issues you encountered during your stay with us. Please check y our private messages.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

I have stayed at Chula Vista a number of times over the years and always looked forward to it until recently.
We were guests at a wedding at this resort and as soon as I got the invitation I started to plan our stay. There were a number of us coming from out of the area and we would all be together for a two day stay. The reservations people were not helpful. I explained that we would like a handicapped accessible room as close to the location of the wedding as possible. They assured me that the room assigned would be which did not happen. It was hard to get any information during these conversations.
I did not like the fact that the rooms are charged to your credit card at the time of the reservation and if you cancel within (if I remember right) 72 hours you still will be charged a $30 fee for cancellation - but I accepted that. We were told the room charge was $149 a night and that was the wedding rate and a better rate than we would get if using AAA or ARP. On to that amount were additional charges like resort fee, tax, etc. bringing the nightly rate to $180 something. At this point we all decided that we would just stay the night of the wedding. You can imagine my surprise when in conversation with someone from the front desk (after arrival) she told me that we were overcharged for the nightly rate and they would be refunding about $22! I didn't expect to see the refund but it did appear on my credit card statement so that is a plus. The point is that if we had been charged the right amount in the first place there were a number of us that would have stayed two nights instead of just one.
Our room was in a separate building by the golf course. NOT close to the wedding site at all. We decided that we would use the shuttle to go to the wedding as we didn't know what the parking situation would be at the wedding site. (Parking is really tight by the main building) We called and made a reservation to be picked up a half an hour prior to the start of the wedding. When the shuttle had not arrived by 10 minutes to wedding time we all got in our cars and drove to the wedding site. There were 12-14 people driving there but there was ample parking at that site.
The room we were assigned was average - nothing special, not handicapped accessible and not close to the elevator so there was a walk to get to it. One of the couples had a very nice room that was like a small suite. One of the couples had to go ask for a different room as the room they were assigned was not acceptable.
As I read other reviews I realize that there have been other frustrated guests and the standard answer is 'this will be brought to the attention of management". Nice thought but after reading it over and over it doesn't appear that 'management' is listening or cares.
The wedding was very nice - but the food was not good.
As much as I liked Chula Vista in the past I don't think I would choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

allez2008-

We are so sorry to hear about the frustrations you experienced during your stay. It is certainly not our standard to make guest wait that long for our shuttle. If you would like to further discuss your stay please do not hesitate to reach out to us at info@chulavistaresort.com or (608)678-3119. We hope you will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

I attended a professional conference here Saturday. Upon arrival I drove around for 15 minutes to find a parking spot. The lot was full to capacity. Prior to arriving I requested an upgrade online for a two bedroom condo with river view. I got the parking lot view, as the check in staff didn't have any record of my upgrade. They noted if I read the fine print about standby rooms. The check-in staff and manager was rude and never smiled during the whole ordeal. The section of the resort we were given a room was still under construction. I've had to interview staff to get more information on this place and was told they are under staff and cannot find enough locals willing to work here and that they hire foreign workers when they can. This is at the top of my list as one of the worst resorts I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Your best bet is to steer clear of this resort. There are much better places nearby in the Wisconsin...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Becky V, Guest Relations Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

JDawan-

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. We will pass your comments along to our management team. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.