“Build Your Own Deliciousness!”
Review of Dells Pizza Lab

Dells Pizza Lab
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Description: A fun, locally-owned restaurant offering fast and fresh, fire-baked, create-your-own personal pizzas and custom salads in Wisconsin Dells. We also have a wide range of Wisconsin craft beers and wine, and delicious Italian cannoli and seasonal cheesecakes. PLUS, we offer gluten-free pizzas and GF desserts, as well as, tons of vegetarian and vegan offerings, like Daiya Vegan Cheese! Come get creative!
Reviewed May 6, 2016

My husband and I were curious about this place so we decided to try it. Delicious! Build Your Own pizza or salad, with thousands of options from sauce to seasonings to meat and veggies! They have a nice selection of local beer and a fountain of Coke products. The pizzas are big enough to split, but it's fun to build your own. Side salads available as well as desserts - perfect for lunch or dinner. A definite must! Looks like they are putting together an outdoor patio for the nice weather approaching!

Date of visit: April 2016
Trisha76, Owner at Dells Pizza Lab, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2016

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to write this great review. We're so happy that you enjoyed our food and the Create-Your-Own concept. And, yes, a beautiful outdoor patio is coming soon! We will have everything set up by Memorial Day weekend. We hope you'll be in again soon :-)

Reviewed May 6, 2016 via mobile

This place is really amazing! We are locals and wanted to try something new in the Dells so we decided to try the Pizza Lab. It was super delicious! Since this was our fist time here, everyone that was working were super helpful and explained the whole process to us! I am glad we now have this place as an option for places to eat because we will definitely be back!

Date of visit: May 2016

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. We really appreciate it. So glad that you enjoyed your food and experience at The Lab! Especially, if it was your birthday! Happy belated Birthday!!! We hope you'll be back again soon. Cheers!

Reviewed April 26, 2016

I don't know what the previous guy was talking about - I seriously love the crust! Yesterday was my third visit and it will just be one of many. My favorite sauce by far is the BBQ (perfect blend of tangy and sweet) and I love that there are so many different options for toppings. Fresh cilantro on a pizza with BBQ sauce, mozzarella, pineapple, and thinly sliced red onions is my go-to right now but there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of different combos you could make. Plus, I can't believe how reasonable the prices are - $8.79 for an 11" pizza is a steal in my opinion and the quality is great.

The interior of the restaurant is beautiful and you can tell the owners put so much work and heart into it. The previous review makes me so mad because that guy was clearly in a bad mood and wanted to take it out on someone. Next time, be cranky to a loved one like a normal person instead of hiding behind the anonymity of a computer screen and taking a dump on people who are working really hard and providing something new, different, and exciting to our area. Or he could just have really terrible taste along with his bad attitude :P

Date of visit: April 2016
Trisha76, Owner at Dells Pizza Lab, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2016

Hi there!

Thank you for defending our honor! That means a lot!

We're so happy that you are a repeat customer and enjoy The Lab!

As I mentioned to the reviewer below, we recognize that taste is subjective, so we certainly don't expect EVERYBODY to love our crust, but it certainly wasn't a mess-up or incorrectly prepared, as the reviewer suggested. We put A LOT of time into selecting our flour and our dough recipe, and we make the dough fresh each day, then let it rise for nearly 24 hours before using it. We care about our dough and our pizza. So far as we've been told and read, 99.9% of our guests are loving our crust, all the topping options and the price point. And, you are right, my husband and I put blood, sweat and tears (literally) into building The Lab and we work behind the counter everyday. We're glad to know that our repeat customers, like you, appreciate the space, the concept and the pizza.

Thanks so much for being a repeat customer and for taking the time to write your review. We have the BBQ sauce stocked and ready for your next custom creation! Cheers!

Reviewed April 22, 2016

I tried PIZZA LAB in the Dells the other day for lunch, and I doubt if I will go back. The staff was great, the toppings looked fresh, but the crust on the pizza was awful. Maybe they over knead it. The oven is not hotter than your home oven, so the dough does not explode and puff like good Neapolitan style pizza. Rather than hand prepare the dough, they crush it in a press. The result is a hard, tasteless platform for toppings. It does not cut with their utensils if you want to do that. I paid over $12 for the pizza with three toppings and a soft drink. No receipt. The pizza took 9 minutes. I ate about half of it.

It is too bad. An oven like that should be up over 600 degrees, and crushing dough in a machine is a crime. ( No- knead dough please???) So, if you like to just pile a pound of toppings on your pizza, this would probably work for you. This is not much different than the other places in the Dells though. If a crust with flavor and texture matters, head for Madison, I guess.

3  Thank Jeff S
Trisha76, Owner at Dells Pizza Lab, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2016

Hi Jeff,

I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience at our new restaurant. Keep in mind that we've only been open two weeks, so we're still learning and trying to improve, so as bummed out as we are by your review, I recognize we're not perfect and we are not for everyone. I would like to say, however, that we've received excellent feedback about our pizza crust. We have regulars coming back time and time again raving about our crust, specifically. We currently have about 45 five-star reviews on Facebook, many of which mentioning how much they love our crust. It's definitely not meant to be fluffy, but it's absolutely a firmer, crisper crust. We also made the choice not to bake our pizzas above 600 degrees, because we found that the bottom was burning before the toppings were cooked properly, in many cases. We found that by keeping the stone hearth set closer to 550, then bringing the pizza to the flame (a much, much warmer spot in the oven) for the last 30 seconds or so, the result was much better. We also happily take requests, as some guests have asked for their pizzas to be well-done and other have requested a less-golden crust. We completely recognize that taste is subjective, though. So, if you didn't enjoy our crust, we understand. We simply cannot please everyone. Additionally, we'd like to clarify for anyone that might be reading your review, that for only $8.79, guests can Create-Their-Own 11-inch personal pizza with ANY toppings they want. That means they can do 1-topping or 20-toppings or more, and many people do choose to do more than the 3 that you chose to do. Even with three toppings, I believe that you would be very hard pressed to find a fresh, custom-made, 3-topping medium-sized equivalent pizza, plus drink, for $11.50 with tax included anywhere else in the Dells. Even the fast food places charge around $8 for a pizza plus $1.50 for every topping, so comparably, we are very fairly priced. Some have even said we are underpriced. Lastly, like many fast-casual chains, such as Blaze or Pieology, we use a dough press for speed. Fast-casual is a subset of fast-food, and while we went the extra mile to use all fresh, artisan ingredients and tried to make the interior of our restaurant warm and cozy, fast-casual does need to be fast. Hand-tossing would slow down the line dramatically and that's just not what we're about . . . We're about FAST, fresh and custom. If hand-tossed is something that you are specifically looking for, a full-service restaurant, rather than a fast-casual, would certainly serve your tastes better. Again, we are sorry than our restaurant did not suit your tastes or meet your expectations. We hope that anyone else reading your review might better understand our concept from my reply and our many other positive reviews. Should you ever decide to try us again, please feel free to add additional toppings (for no extra charge) and we'll be happy to print you a receipt, simply ask.

Best,
Dells Pizza Lab

Reviewed April 19, 2016

Son & I went there for an early dinner on Monday night. Upon entering the restaurant, we were greeted by a friendly gentleman. Who asked if this was our first time there. We said yes & he took the time to explain how the Dells Pizza Lab works. You can pick a "pre-designed" pizza or salad just go through the line and pick which ingredients you would like on your pizza or salad. Place was very clean. Everyone working there was extremely nice. When you asked for a bit more of an ingredient they did so without a blink of an eye.
Pizza was done in a timely manner. You can then pick extra items to have drizzled on the pizza or as I chose - I had the pesto put into a cup so I could dip my pizza into it. We also had the canolli.
Unique concept, great execution. Fast & polite service. Food was very good also. Have to say we will be returning in the near future.

1  Thank switallawe3fish

Hi!!!

We're so happy that you and your son enjoyed The Lab! And, we showed your review to the "friendly gentleman" who most likely greeted you and your comment made him very happy :-)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and we hope you'll be back in The Lab very soon.

All the best!