“Nice option of indoor and outdoor waterpark ......”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #11 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Nice option of indoor and outdoor waterpark ......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

We were there in June and expecting to be outdoors most of the time ... however, the weather was cool and we were very pleased to have the option of the indoor waterpark. The water temperature was very comfortable, and they had quite a variety of different slides/other water activities that appealed to a wide variety of ages. My daughters, ages 7 and 9 when we were there, can often be bored by what they think is "too babyish." However, they found a variety of slides that they really loved, and we all had a great time! Personally I feel it is a little overpriced and too commercialized, but the rooms were clean and we really did enjoy our stay there.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I took took the family here on Sunday before a Monday ski trip. I looked at all the reviews on TripAdvisor and chose to stay here. It was also recommended by a friend. We had reserved a sofa suite. I think the rate was fair. Check in was fast and the front desk staff was friendly, and informative. The room was towards the end on the building and was clean and spacious. We hit the waterpark and it was fun. It was warm and there was plenty of supervision. I also liked how the adult hot tub was regulated for adults only. I wish the guests there would have been more mindful and picked up after themselves. Towels and garbage were left by chairs and tables. They did have staff cleaning up. We enjoyed the trip and would go back.

1 Thank Wispr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I've stayed at the Dells before and Great Wolf Lodge was by far the best so far. They have spacious rooms, and the option for big condos as well. The water park is huge and very entertaining for the kids. Plenty of parking, a good breakfast buffet, and numerous amenities that will make your stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Get a suite or a condo.
1 Thank Robj47
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

The family stayed at the Great Wolf over my birthday this year. My mom and dad asked if I'd like to go there for my birthday with my 7 year old daughter. Sounded like a plan to me.

The hotel is in a decent location, right across the street from the similar Kalahari. It's right off the highway and right next to an outlet mall and a few restaurants. The building is pretty impressive and the landscaping is very well done. Nothing not to like from the outside, that's for sure.

The lobby was just as nice. There is a giant clock "thing" that comes to life a couople times a day and draws a pretty big crowd. If you're caught up in it at check in, it's pretty hard to get around. Check in took a littel while and I did but the value pack of kid's activities up front, which is a really good idea.

The rooms are nicely decorated. Nothing too fancy about the layout. A couple Queen beds and a couch. We were on the 3rd floor, so we had a balcony. We had a parking lot view, nothing too special there. beds were comfortable enough. It looked better than it felt to be in there.

Now on to the good stuff. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and it was pretty good. My daughter got a pair of wolf ears with her kids meal. That was a nice touch. The Ice cream place was pretty busy. They need to work on their Starbucks making skills, but it was fine. They have a kid's spa, but my daughter didn't do that. We did play in the arcade and that was ok. Very busy and the whole place revolves around tickets. Expect to stand in line to turn them in. They have a nice gift shop and a Build-a-Bear type stuffed animal contraption. Since I bought the Kid's Value Pack, my daughter got a Squirrel (Nutty).

Next is Magiquest. Again, a wand was included with my package, but the upgraded unicorn top was not. Watch out for that. I was a bit skeptical about the place, but I got to tell you, it was pretty fun. My 7 year old loved it and we spent a lot of time there over the 3 days. You can come and go as you please once you have the wand. It's a pretty fun treasure hunt type game that takes you all over 4 stories and even into the lobby of the hotel. I'd recommend it for 12 and under. After all, you can't swim all the time.

That brings us to the pool. Wow. 3 indoor buildings and a large outdoor area. The hotel was booked full, but you couldn't tell by the pool. there was a decent line for the Tornado ride. It was a little too much for my daughter. It scared the heck out of her actually. You may not want to take a young child on it if they freak out easy. It was a lot of fun though. The wave pool was nice and the large water spray fort was nice for the kids. I like intertube slides and there are a bunch of good ones. I liked the outdoor ones the best. The outdoor pool was also pretty dead, which was great.

Pros - Water Park, Magiquest, Kids will have a blast, the overall look of the place, everything is right there for you, even if the place is packed, the water park doesn't seem that busy.

Cons - The rooms were good, but not great (not in there much though), food was expensive and not all that great,

Room Tip: the place is big, so you sure walk a lot to get anywhere.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
North Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Decent rooms, good food, great ammeneties. Tons for kids to do and adults, great for all weather inside or out. Easy access from freeway. A little high priced for the room but water park is included. Plan lots of time in the water or your wasting money.

Room Tip: all rooms are about the same, easy outside access on ground floors
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect as I had read reviews of the hotel be dated. I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations, the main hotel spaces and waterpark. Specifically, my 2 1/2 year old LOVED the waterpark. He could pretty much swim and go on everything except maybe a few large slides. He even went down a larger one right after my husband with the help of a lifeguard. I also loved that the outlet mall was right next door. When I had had enough of swimming, I took a little shopping break. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ktstravels
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed at the Great Wolf during our kids winter break, 4 days / 3 nights in the regular section (not the condo building) in a fireplace room.

Check-in: Check in was quick, and they take a unique (in my experience) approach to early check-ins - they take your mobile number, give you keys, and then call you on your mobile when your room is ready. This allowed us to check in, walk across the parking lot to a restaurant and eat, and then walk back after getting a call with our room number. This is much better than having to come back to the front desk, especially if they're busy.

Rooms: To be honest, I've read the other reviews here, and our room was fine. The room was clean on check-in and remained that way throughout our stay. I'm not a carpet inspector, but it didn't seem worn to me. The decor was dated but clean. We had plenty of towels and soap amenities during our stay. All the TV functions worked. I only used the phone for internal calls, and it worked fine.

Water Park: As others have mentioned, the water park is smaller than the other mega-resorts nearby. But our teen age kid doesn't like water slides, so he was happy there with the wave pool, jacuzzi, and basketball pool. Our middle kid (9 years old) took several slides and was happy. The wave pool is the main attraction here. My only complaint is that the "lazy river" - where you float around a water path in a tube - is too small. Big props for their lifeguards - these are quite likely the most attentive lifeguards I've ever seen, they constantly walk around the pools with their eyes on the swimmers, watching for trouble. Our kids are all strong swimmers, but I have no doubt that if they ran into trouble, the guards would be on top of it before I am. I would say that, unless you have other activities in mind outside of the resort, only about 2-3 nights are necessary before you've done everything (twice or three times) and start getting bored. If you're staying in the summer, that's fine because there are tons of other activities in the Dells. If you're staying in the winter as a get-away, don't plan on staying more than 3 nights or you might get bored.

The restaurants are so-so. The Loose Moose bar & grill was tasty but a bit pricey. Our waitress was very friendly but a bit inattentive (we had to ask several times for things like extra plates, and to get our salad that was supposed to come with the meal.) But overall, a good experience. The Camp Critter buffet was OK, I loved their bacon and they make fresh omelets that were very tasty. They also make fresh waffles. I'd recommend the omelet as the scrambled eggs at the buffet were a bit rubbery. The Bear Paw was a great before bedtime sweet stop. We didn't try the Pizza Hut in the resort. Interestingly, the Loose Moose makes better pizza than Pizza Hut (we ordered pizza from them) but you have to pick it up from the restaurant, they don't deliver.

My only other gripe is that the ice machine on our floor was out of ice throughout our stay, and I had to go to other floors to get ice.

Note: I gave them great ratings for value, although I found the best room price at an online travel agency.

1 Thank humphrmi