“Clean, Comfortable, Recently Remodeled”

Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We were in town for a basketball tournament July 14-16, 2017. The hotel has been recently updated and we found that it suited our needs well. The breakfast offering was very good and had many options. Although we did not use the pool, it looked clean and very large. I was also impressed to see a life guard on duty. We stayed in room 328 and it was very quiet. The only odd thing was the room layout-the bathroom sink and vanity area was actually in the room. The small bathroom only had room for the shower and toilet. This was only was an issue for us because I was traveling with four girls that needed their rest and I didn't want to wake them early with the hair dryer.

Room Tip: Third floor was great. Lower room numbers are closer to the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Carrie S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are happy to see everything went well and that you enjoyed the newly renovated room. Between our breakfast and pool area we feel these are two GREAT amenities that help us stand out from our competitors. Though you were unable to use the pool we are happy to see you enjoyed the breakfast as we feel that it is not only a great way to start the day but also a great cost saver for everyone traveling for these types of tournaments. We appreciate all of the feedback and are already looking forward to the next time we have the PRIVILEGE of hosting the team. We hope everyone did well in the tournament and that we are able to see you ladies again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

My family & I stayed here over the 4th. I was a bit leery due to some recent reviews re: maid service, etc. but I couldn't imagine those problems still being an issue after a review citing the problem(s) were published. I was wrong. Still no curtains in our room on the 3rd floor (as mentioned by another reviewer); maid service never showed up one day (again, previously posted by others) AND one day our room looked like it was cleaned by a kindergartener. (Another review cites the same issue). Blankets were barely thrown up over the beds. A few clean towels left; not a whole set. My husband met with the Mgr, who was very receptive to the feedback, but I can't figure out how these things continue after several people have posted about it. Certainly the hotel mgr is reading these reviews.(?!)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dawn B,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations as that is the goal with every guest. After discussing this with your husband we did go up to the room to inspect the curtains. The blinds were not in fact missing, they were newly installed roller blinds that require the use of the pulley. There are regular blinds and black out blinds behind them. These are new and part of our recent upgrade. In regards to the housekeeping issue this has also been addressed with the employee and the housekeeping supervisor. The employee was new and was working for their first time alone. I have went over our standards when servicing a room with the employee and again, we are sincerely apologetic for that. I certainly read and respond to every review and I promise you we will learn from this and improve internally so that it betters the guest experience for not only you, but any other guest who we have the PRIVILEGE of serving. We appreciate all of your feedback and are hopeful to have another chance to restore your confidence in us the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

The staff here was very friendly to all of us - including the kids. The staff was very helpful, too. Very nice updated/renovated hotel and rooms. Nice pool/water park area for all ages. Excellent breakfast! We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Lisa Q,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay! We are happy to see everything went GREAT and that you enjoyed the new freshly remodeled room! Customer service is one of the many areas we take GREAT pride in as a staff. We love to see when our guest takes notice so thank you for the recognition. We appreciate all of your feedback and are already looking forward to the next time we have the PRIVILEGE of serving you. We hope to have the chance to do so again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed ourselves. There was a decent buffet a short walk away. Knuckleheads was very close, which is exactly what we wanted. They had a friendly staff. I would stay there again. The pool was pretty neat. They did have a kids slide that was open on weekends only, but we had no kids with so we didn't mind.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

James M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are happy to see everything went GREAT and that you enjoyed everything about the stay! We appreciate all of your feedback and are already looking forward to the next time we have the PRIVILEGE of serving you! Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2017

This hotel was great with a very helpful staff. There were two indoor pools; one for smaller children with a small slide, and one with a larger slide and 5-feet deep. The outdoor pool was being renovated, but our boys preferred the indoor pool anyway. The room was very clean with free wifi, microwave, refrigerator, Keurig, hair dryer, and decent sized tv.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Colleen M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are happy to see everything went well and that you and the boys enjoyed everything about the stay! We take GREAT pride in our customer service and cleanliness so we always enjoy seeing when our guest take notice. Thank you for the recognition. I also wanted to relay the GREAT news that we have finished the work on the outdoor pool so we have that opened now but there are a few things that need to be done on the outdoor kiddie pool before we can get that opened as well. We hope you are able to return the next time you are in our area so that you can enjoy all of our amenities to the fullest! We appreciate all of your feedback and are already looking forward to the next time we have the PRIVILEGE of serving you. Please come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

We usually seek out Holiday Inn Express Hotels because they are always modern, clean and personnel is polite. We booked this at least 6-8 weeks ago. This one was a mistake. We were not notified that they were undergoing a renovation. On 6/18, one day before arrival, I decided to check their website, I thought I could confirm our reservation. When we found out about the renovation,and the closed outdoor pool, I assumed it would be difficult to find another two hotel rooms in the Wisconsin Dells in June. At that point, we called the hotel and asked for a room that was already renovated (the reservationist agreed). What was acceptable?..................While the indoor pool was very large and the children enjoyed it, the slide was often closed (if there was no lifeguard, the slide was unavailable). Beds were comfortable and we slept well. We were able to get enough clean towels. The free breakfast was adequate.
So what was wrong?
1. We did a "pre-check in" at noon on the day of arrival, said we'd be back at 3, and rooms (we had 2) still were not ready at 3pm. We had to wait another 45 minutes despite the hotel seeming to be very empty.
2. Rooms did not have any window covering because they were installing new shades...we were told it would be done that day of arrival, but at 6pm, the installers said they would do it "tomorrow".........no window coverings at all overnight or at 5am when the sun comes up? Husband complained to the desk and they put up drape liners.
3. No hair dryer in room ("should be in closet" but wasn't.
4. On Tuesday, 6/20, rooms still had not been cleaned by 5:30pm, I saw housecleaner in the hall, she said "someone called in sick and I had to do both floors myself"..........she gave us towels, but beds were not made, carpets not vacuumed, bathroom not cleaned, no dusting. She was frazzled to say the least.
5. Water-stained ceiling in Rm 311.
6. Elevator did not work for 3 of 4 days we were there........workmen laying tile on lobby-level floor with plastic sheeting hanging right near the stairway we had to use.
7. Five new employees in their twenties were sitting at one of the tables in breakfast area during breakfast time........however, they sat down, played with their phones while glancing up frequently at the guests sitting and eating........we became quite uncomfortable wondering what they were doing or going to do (obviously not guests, not eating)......... "if you see something, say something" so my husband and I left, went up to our room and reported the suspicious looking men and we were told they were new employees beginning orientation. Should they have been told to sit in one of the conference rooms, or the employee lunchroom???
8. It appeared that there may have been employee issues. Most employees did not look at us and greet us in the hallways, but looked away as we passed them.
9. On 6/21, we got back to our room at the end of the day and one bed looked well-made, without wrinkles, the other looked as though someone had laid on it, coverings wrinkled and pillows not carefully aligned as the other bed (appeared to be thown at the head of the bed). I'm guessing that an employee was orienting someone and the inexperienced someone made the wrinkled bed without the experienced employee correcting the mess.
10. Two large, fairly deep potholes in the asphalt when you turn into the parking lot.
11. Carpeted stairway between parking level floor and third floor was always littered with dirt, dried cement from the contractors working on the renovation. We had to use the stairs because the elevator wouldn't stop on the lobby-level floor.
12. TV hung crookedly on the wall.
13. Sloppy painting around the AC unit, could see the prior color where the new color hadn't been painted over it.
I blame many of the issues above on poor management, poor decisions by management.
We'll be more cautious of Holiday Inn Expresses in the future.

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank candice1949
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

candice1949,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. I am happy to see you found some positives about the stay but I am sincerely apologetic for the numerous issues you unfortunately had to deal with. We can completely understand how frustrating this was for you. We feel our guest deserve the best and because of this feeling we are renovating the entire hotel. This is phase one. We have tried to be proactive by placing an alert on our website, by contacting all outside vendors to make them aware of the renovation, by setting up an alert with our central reservations office, and by posting signage in the lobby but we understand it is still missed at times. Sorry about that. Phase two will be getting started in September. With a project this large we have hit some road blocks but I promise you we are doing all we can to minimize the impact on our guest. Per your review we 100% failed to do so and we are very apologetic and wish that wasn't the case. We would never want any of our guest to leave with a negative memory of our property as our goal is to have everyone leave 110% satisfied with a want to return. I am really sorry we failed to do so in the case of this stay. I have printed off your review and will be covering it in detail with my entire staff as well as with my regional VP so your comments will addressed asap. Our mission is to make sure no other guest has to experience the same things. I hope you are willing to give us another chance to host you the next time you are in our area so you can see first hand these are not reoccurring issues as well as see the difference the renovation will have made for our property. Again, we appreciate the feedback and are hopeful we have a chance to show you this is not of the norm as we truly feel it is a PRIVILEGE to call you our guest.

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

First the good. I travel through Wisconsin Dells on a regular basis, and the Holiday Inn Express has become my place to stop for the night. Our jacuzzi room did not disappoint. It was clean and very comfortable. Now the bad. What is not disclosed on the Holiday Inn reservation website is that this hotel is under renovations. We were told at check-in that the outdoor pool was closed as part of the renovations. Considering our stay was in the heart tourist season, and Wisconsin Dells calls itself the Waterpark Capital of the world, this was extremely disappointed. Pool renovation should not be done during peak seasons. After check in, the walk down the hall to our room, was walking a gauntlet construction materials, broken sheetrock and glass. Morning breakfast although very good, featured a large amount of construction workers enjoying hotel breakfast along with paying guests.
Now the Ugly. When I attempted to put this exact review on the Holiday Inn website, it was rejected. Seems they only publish happy customers reviews. My advice, is to find another hotel in Wisconsin Dells until the renovations are complete!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple