“Okay here is the truth!”

Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chesterton
“Okay here is the truth!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My family and I were here over the Easter weekend. Everything looks just like the photo. The hotel really does need to be updated. When we first walked into the room it was really cold so I went over to turn on the heat and the knob fell off and one side was missing a knob all together. I immediately felt that I wanted my money back because it did not look like much to begin with. I called down and the lady at the front desk Jody offered to move us to another room. We stayed because my husband was already taking a nap. Later on when giving my girls a bath I saw a piece of black stuff coming out of the overflow which grossed me out beyond words. I notified the office and they made a note for housekeeping to clean it. They tried to make my stay a happy one and resolve all problems. My children loved it and the pools were perfect for my 4 and five year old. The hot tubs were very hot and comfortable for my taste. We had a junior suite and the couch was worn down in the springs and had not been cleaned under the cushions. The beds felt cheap and the pillows were thin as were the towels. To my surprise me feet were not dirty from walking on the carpet. When I sat on the toilet the toilet did seem to make that noise like it was not bolted down well. I think the hotel over all was taken care of though. I paid $109. for a family of four during the weekend. I would stay again in spite of the bad because they tried to right what was wrong. It was a pretty quiet except for the club on the right side of the building you can hear the music. We would probably stay again because of the wonderful pool area made for the little ones and the wonderful hot tubs. Most importantly because Jody at the office took care of what ever my complaint was and it was handed to the person in the morning and taken care of. I am aware it cost to update and maybe they will sooner than later but as long at our room is very clean and my kids enjoy it I will stay again. All the common areas are clean and all entrances are locked. There are vending machines but no place inside to buy food. There are places that deliver but in the dells everything is high priced. The people hear do care and want you to have a good experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the club Marley's if you are a light sleeper. Bring your own pillows c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jewell R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The Grand Marquis was a fine place to spend two nights with our almost 4 year old son.

We stayed in a Junior Studio which is slightly bigger than a standard Guest Room. The decor/condition was a bit dated but it was certainly acceptable. They offer a few other room options too, but the "special" rooms are not plentiful so make sure you book well in advance if that is what you want. The hotel was probably less than a quarter full during our Spring Break stay so it was very quiet. Many times we had the waterpark to ourselves. Since it is relatively small I imagine if things were busier we may not have had as much fun.

We spent our time in the indoor waterpark which was perfect for our son. It is definitely for younger kids so any children over seven or so would probably get bored. The other pool area does skew a little older. The rough bottom of the waterpark has been mentioned and I did scrape my hands the first time I took my son down the big slide.

It would be nice if they offered a breakfast as most other places do, but at least they did have coffee in the morning. The room price is among the lowest in the area for a hotel with a waterpark.

All in all we were happy with our stay. We go to the Dells once a year so I'm sure we will try another place next time. As our son gets older we will move to the bigger resorts/waterpark although I don't look forward to paying their prices. For this trip we were happy we stayed at The Grand Marquis.

Room Tip: Top floor was very quiet. We faced the parking lot but it was not a distraction.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank baess
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Grand Marquis is a nice, clean place with a friendly atmosphere. Perfect for an overnight or long weekend away from home. Our granddaughter loves the pools!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KathleenG253
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This is probably the best hotel in the Dells area. It's a pretty cheap, and the rooms are beautiful appointed and the waterpark, indoor and outdoor, is diverse and good for all ages. There are a lot of families here. The Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel is a ton of fun on a cold winter's day & a warm summer day. There are a lot of water slides and there are lots to do for all ages. This is a great resort and very well kept, staff is friendly and the kids love it. It simple to get around in & safe for the little ones, too! (:

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
SAVOY
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Went Thanksgiving weekend, so naturally the outdoor pool area was closed. This property, which looks like an office building from outside (windows are sealed), has two large indoor "pool" areas, although oddly separated by a long hallway. One area is for adults (swimming, whirlpool, and water slides) and one is a wading area for kids with several slides. The hotel allows you to use your room towels for the pool, which you can exchange for clean ones at the desk (though the towels are thin and cheap). With all those people wandering around wet, it's not surprising that the corridors kind of stink. The pool areas themselves are quite clean though. The rooms are simple but quite spacious and fine for a short stay. The microwave and fridge are helpful, but the lack of any dining on the premises (or even a pantry store) means you need to plan ahead for breakfast. Our toddler was a little timid on the slides but the older kids seemed to be having a great time. I wish the water in the play area were a little warmer, and that some of the water features were better placed away from the slides. The floor of the play area was also a little uncomfortable, kind of like rough cement. Tile would have been too slippery, but nowadays there should be better options. Overall, the location and price make the Grand Marquis a reasonable value, but if you're looking for "extras" like breakfast or waterpark passes you might want to look elsewhere. Service was polite but perfunctory.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank savoystar
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We were hoping for a cheaper hotel with a little kid-friendly indoor waterpark for a one night stay. We certainly got that in the Grand Marquis. It is a small resort with a small waterpark, but it was perfect for our kids, ages 3 through 6. The hotel decor is dated, but it was very clean and the first floor hallway smelled like chlorine, which is a much better smell than mildew or wet towels. Our girls loved the slides and pool, but it definitely would be boring for any child older than 8, I think. We were able to sit by the edge at tables and just watch the kids....we didn't even have to put on swimsuits, which was nice. The elevator was a little rickety sounding but with only 3 floors in the building, you could easily avoid it. Overall, the junior suite was a good sized room with a couch and two queen beds, the bathroom was a good size and the room had a mini fridge and microwave. Our stay worked out great and we were happy with this hotel, but wouldn't probably stay there if we were going for more than one or two nights.

Room Tip: Rooms on second and third floor are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ILGIRL
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The price was great, and so was the location. We wanted to be within walking distance from Marley's. We stayed one night, as we were just passing through. The hotel decor is very old fashioned. The hallways and elevators had a weird smell. Desk staff was nice enough. The shower had very low water pressure. We didn't swim, but it looked like a fun pool. So, overall, for the $70 or so that it cost us, for a one night visit, it was ok. I don't think I would have loved to stay here for a longer visit...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple