“Nice enough - but not fantastic” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort

Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort
Ranked #30 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Winona, Minnesota
“Nice enough - but not fantastic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Just returned from a week trading in our timeshare unit in a Mirror Lake town home (condo?). We had a unit with two bedrooms upstairs and a living room/dining area/kitchen on the main floor. These are nice-ish units, but not nearly as nice as some of the other vacation properties we've used with our timeshare.

The beds are probably the worst thing about the unit - one bedroom had two twin beds (very firm), the other had a double bed. Yes, a double bed. The couches are comfortable and attrractive, but the fold out bed from the big one in the living room was probably the worst nightmare night of sleep I've ever had. You can't help but kind of roll towards the center for some reason, and the mattress is about as thin as credit card, so you can feel every.single.spring underneath. I strongly recommend a thick quilt to put down unless someone in your group is a chiropractor.

The kitchen was fairly well outfitted, but was missing odd things like a cookie sheet, and a kitchen sponge, even though we were supposed to do the dishes. Also, bring regular-sized coffee filters or you'll be running to Wal-Mart for some if you want to drink coffee.

The big TV in the living room was nice, but we couldn't get the DVD player to work. Also, a warning to people who like the Internet - this place has challenges. The check-in folks told us there was no Internet available at all, but my computer found active routers for the place so I hooked up to one. It was a pay service - $10 for 24 hours - and it was sloooooow and you could only get it in certain spots in the unit, but it was better than nothing. The front desk people didn't believe me when I told them I was hooked up to Internet - they said that service was supposed to be gone but that the resort was exploring a new free Wi-Fi service... anyway, it's a weird limbo thing I guess.

We bought the discount tickets for Kalahari's water park from the resort ($32 each), but looking back I would have probably waited until 5 or 6 p.m. when Kalahari's evening discount ($25) kicks in -- the water park is nice but I wouldn't put it above Chula Vista, and I'd put it well below the Wilderness.

If I needed to visit the Dells again I would *probably* stay here again, but I'd sure check if something at Chula Vista or Glacier Canyon was available first.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cindirelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I own my unit at Tamarack and I've stayed there every summer since 1987. I've outlasted 4 different owners of the resort itself and I've seen the changes that have taken place over the years. In that time I've had the opportunity to stay at some of the much newer and larger resorts in Wisconsin Dells. At one point, even the opportunity to switch to a unit at the Wilderness through some sort of arrangement with the owners of Tamarack at that time (Wyndam). Tamarack is where I prefer to stay. The staff knows me, and I know them. The resort has all the amenities one would need to enjoy a week away from the world without the attractions one finds in Wisconsin Dells. And those are ALL close by. My grandchildren, who are now all on the verge of their teenage years don't know a summer that does not include a week at Tamarack. A stay at Tamarack has become a part of our summer. I can't imagine a summer without it. It's the perfect place for family. I recommend it highly. I do have one complaint though...4 years ago they removed the wall to wall carpet and put in laminate flooring. My unit has become an echo chamber without it, and children can make a lot of noise. I'd like my wall to wall carpet back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Dan_Sebring
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The two bedroom townhouse was great for the kids and me. They loved having a TV in their room and using the whirlpool tub. It is close enough to the Dells to enjoy the water parks. Although the Chula Vista, which we had tickets included with the stay, was a bit of a drive.
The beds were too soft for my liking, I even tried sleeping in one of the twin size beds but it wasn't any better.
Overall, good stay.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank 1BabyCow
Divajetsetter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I, my husband, my sister, her husband purchased a Living Social deal and stayed here. The picture on the living social site was a bit misleading as they pictured the unit next to the one we stayed in. That actually probably is why we felt slightly let down when we saw the place we actually were staying in. It'd be helpful to know the name of the place within Tamarack you are staying. We were in Glade #6
We had never been to Tamarack's homes, but thought they may have been along the lines of a place we stayed in Christmas Mountain in the Dells. It was not. It was decent though. It was clean, we had cable- though the tv was a bit old school, and there was a hot tub that was big enough for 2. It was great having a full kitchen to cook for ourselves the whole weekend. They had plenty of dishes to use- we just had to bring our own food/spices and napkins. The bed was comfy and there was a tv in the bedroom as well as the living room. The electric fireplace had a mind of its own. It was nice when it was working- I had to pound above it once and it kicked on after we tried a bunch of other things. We did go to the activity center which was fun. We shot some hoops, threw around our football, and played tennis. We didn't make use of their pool and hot tub. They had a little arcade area, but we didn't want to pay for anything in there. There was also coffee set out in the lobby of the activity center. The center actually was a nice addition. Also you are really close to Walmart if you forgot anything or want to grab anything.
The deal provided lift tickets and entrance to Mount Olympus waterpark. We had a really fun weekend, though I doubt we'd stay at this particular place the next time we go to the dells. For 4 people we'll opt for something with 2 bedrooms instead of 1 bedroom and a pullout sofa.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DivaJetSetter
LaMoille
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We Love the Tamarak its close to walmart mabey 5 minutes including traffic , to get to everything but far enough away so it not crowded. When it is just me and Chad and our grandkids we get the 1 room etc with our other children the two room you just use what you need.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Terri S
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I actually ended up staying here because I got a groupon for it, but I would absolutely come back! The "rooms" were the size of an apartment I used to stay in and were very clean, with everything you will need for even a week vacation. The resort itself had enough to do to fill a day, and very close to pretty much all of the attractions in the area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My husband and I are already talking about going back for a longer stay this summer with our son.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marie e
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We found this hotel on a coupon website and were impressed! This place had an Activity Center and lots of open land. Bring some cross country skis, snow shoes, Mtn bike or walking/running shoes. Nice and close location to a Walmart. Rooms very clean and little kitchenette to make small meals. I would definitely return for another visit! Don't go to Mtn Olympis Water Park - try to upgrade to a different place with better reviews.

• Stayed January 2012