“Ups and Downs”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Like most places, the Cheyenne Outback has some significant ups and downs.

First of all, great parking even for bigger rigs, so that's a real up for us.

The reception is quick, crisp, sparkling, and exceptional. Table seating was quick and efficient so a real up score on these points. The fact that the reception staff was wrapping silverware on the area seating while between customers was a bit of an odd impression.

Our waitress (yes, I still refuse to use wait staff) was perfectly friendly, helpful, and interested in us having a good dining experience.

The meal (sirloin steaks) were done up as ordered which is a bit unusual to see as we have become quite used to getting our steaks done however the cook likes to do them, but in this case, they were all done just as ordered.

Coffee was a bit of an issue as the cream came along with it but no spoon was evident. Had to use the salad fork to stir things up. No biggy but a real downer on points.

The house mashed potatoes are a real winner. Forget what they were called but absolutely great.

The salad is perfectly done and the serving is surprisingly large & delicious.

The warm bread served up is crisp, chewy, and sweet. Quite a unique production but delicious.

The steaks, although cooked perfectly, were clearly from racing cows or some other very athletic animals because the sinews and grizzle were really downers. The work to slice off edible amounts of meat was a real workout and we ended up just giving up trying to slice out edible chunks from the stringy connective tissues. Not a fun time doing that.

The service remained attentive and friendly throughout which was a pleasant surprise.

This restaurant clearly puts some effort into keeping things orderly and clean - even though the bizarre silverware wrapping demonstration continued to greet new customers. It has a great comfortable feel from beginning to end.

Prices were fine for what was ordered but not so much for the quality delivered. Being in Wyoming and cow country, quality meat should be a given but not so much at our visit.

Lots of great points but the heart of the meal let us down. Still, with those potatoes and that sharp service, we have to pull this spot out of the negative and give it an overall average score. Wish it could be more, but the steaks just don't stand up.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Ate here whilst staying at the nearby Candlewood Suites (other hotels also nearby). Nice meal - have eaten at other Outbacks before

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Stoped in for dinner that was our first mistake ! Use to love outback but in the past few years they have really gone down hill. Our food was wrong and our drinks never got refilled. Unfortunately I won’t be coming back .

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

The restaurant was not completely full when I arrived so I could choose my own table to sit on the service was very friendly and quickly and the beer that I had was very gold. The food was excellent as always in this kind a restaurant in there I really enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Wait staff was wonderful and food was very good!
The evening I stopped by to grab a bite to eat I was worried because they were pretty busy but the gal that waited on me was very quick, polite and paid close attention throughout my dining experience.
My salad was just fine and my food came to the table just as I was pushing my salad plate away. The waitress was prompt at removing my dinner plate and brought the check quickly.
I've been to a few of these chains elsewhere and have been disappointed almost every time so this was a pleasant surprise!