“Vacation of a lifetime! - Service, Food, Activities were Top Notch!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
Reviewed 7 August 2016

My husband and I spent a week at The Hideout for my birthday. We are not regular horseback riders, had never been to a dude ranch, and had no idea what to expect. The Hideout blew away all of our expectations.

First and foremost, the level of service is 6 stars - the best we have ever received from even the best hotels in the world. The ranch is owned and operated by a family and they are truly concerned with each and every person's well-being and happiness. The employees, from the office staff to the wranglers to the food service staff to housekeeping, were outstanding!

The small group of only 25 guests each week adds to the intimacy of the experience.
Over the course of the week we met people from all over the world. People we may never have spoken to in a regular vacation experience have become lifetime friends. We laughed so hard, we cried. The memories will last forever.

With regard to food and food service - the best! As good as any top restaurant. My husband had specific dietary needs and the staff went above and beyond to make him happy.

Lastly, the riding. UNBELIEVABLE. The riding staff has safety as their top concern. They pick specific horses for each rider based on a questionnaire and past riding experience. While there were very experienced riders, my husband and I haven't really ridden horses since we were teens. Even though we were beginners, we were able to choose any ride offered. In fact, we chose to go on two cattle drives during the week. There is nothing like a cattle drive if you haven't experienced one. The beauty of the scenery is indescribable. Each ride is completely different and you will see and experience something new each time. The best part is that our riding improved everyday as the staff was more than willing to teach us using positive feedback and encouragement. We went from walking to loping over the course of the week and love riding now.

The owners Peter and Marijn are fantastic and most interested in providing the best customer service for all guests. We met guests who have returned from four to eighteen times - that alone tells you why The Hideout is so special. We can't wait to return ourselves and bring our whole family.

This was the vacation of a lifetime!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wendy R

Reviewed 4 August 2016

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Professional, courteous, caring, knowledgeable and interesting staff. Breathtaking scenery. Fabulous horses. Great food and accommodation and very personal service. Nothing was too much trouble. They catered equally well for beginner riders and experienced. The horses were well cared for and thoughtfully trained and managed. Wranglers were brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank W7573ZLmarks
Reviewed 29 July 2016

My daughter and I just got back from The Hideout this month. What a fantastic time we had, it was beyond our expectations. The Scenery was unbelievable, the Food Scrumptious, The Staff Excellent, Horses were Awesome. I can not say enough great things about this place. It was so great we booked it again for next year and we are counting down the days, just a year away...... I feel it was so worth it, I'm 56 and not getting any younger, so I said "LETS DO IT", GO FOR IT...while I can still get in the saddle. They made it all so easy for us.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2016

My husband and I just returned home from the most amazing vacation we could have imagined at the Hideout. The property and rooms are beautiful, the food is great, the staff is super friendly and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. This Bucket List trip was worth every penny. The manager Peter is warm, welcoming and actively involved with the guests and activities along with his lovely wife. Beyond Expectations!!!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

What a great experience we just had with family and friends!! A luxury ranch for riders from advanced to no riding. It is not just a vacation, it is being immersed in the world of cowboys, cowgirls, Western culture, and the expanse of our country. Add to that gourmet food, great rooms, flexibility in your activities each day and you have a rare find. I am from the east coast. We just don't have this kind of thing!

My husband, 14 year old son and I went to the ranch with friends. We ranged from advanced riders to non-riders. Well, they are now riders! As a group we took advantage of the fly fishing, trap shooting, archery, four wheel off road tour, cattle herding, private lessons and of course trail riding. And the trail riding is across the most glorious vistas you will ever see.

On hot days ride in the mountains and cooler in the high desert. If you are an advanced rider like me, the wranglers will take you for a lope while the others continue on their trail ride. My riding lesson that I requested was very helpful making the transition from dressage to western. I rode Tex. He is an advanced horse and very well trained responding to every cue. My son rode Flash who was perfect for him. He is a rider. And my husband rode Jaws, named such because he likes to eat.

The horses are clearly cared for. Tom, the Head Wrangler, is a professional horse handler and trainer and supervises this part of the guest ranch. . Rebecca, his wife was our first contact and ongoing organizer and manager. Both were very courteous and extremely knowledgeable.

Marjin, co-owner with her husband Peter, and his aunt Paula, created and runs this great guest ranch and leads many of the trail rides. She gives guidance to riders to improve riding skills and gives you a great guest ranch experience.

The other guests were very interesting and we had a great time. The international flavor of the ranch increases its appeal. Don't hesitate! You won't regret going here.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Lori W
Reviewed 24 June 2016

Top 10 things we best love at the hideout (in no order)

1. Our horses- Chief is the best horse ever - confident– comfortable ride – well behaved – but Zach says Romeo is the best looking and Spider was very grand looking (I am bias with this list as Chief was my horse)
2. Dinosaur Dig – once in a lifetime priceless experience- Lisa/Alex and Dan were so good at explain the process of Dinosaur digging and we got to take a piece of bone with us!
3. The gourmet meals and service team were awesome- my fav was the key lime pie which was so good and we live in Keys Florida so we know our key lime pies!
4. The landscape and scenery amazing.. It was surreal and overwhelming in a good way- I think everyone should put Wyoming on their bucket list
5. The wranglers were all very interesting and competent – I learned about apple orchards, Mining, Honduras, Life here in the winter, life as a fireman, Mosquitoes , and much more
6. The guests- meals were so much fun and all the guests had amazing life stories and interesting conversations and were all fun to be around – I am so thankful for FB as now easy to keep in contact.
7. The rooms were spacious and cool and the team did a great job of cleaning up after us and keeping the dirt from finding its way into our beds.. The porch was my fav spot to sit and catch up on work stuff after a long day
8. The beds are so comfortable! It was so hard to get up each morning as I want to just keep sleeping and the sheets are so soft and nice texture.
9. All the activities were fun and was good variety – and good to try new things- was easy to be adventurous
10. The ranch is so well run! They like it look so easy but I know a lot goes on behind the scenes as to make something appear smooth means a lot of process and mgmt behind it! So congrats to Micheal Keaton , Rebecca , Peter and Mirjin & Paula

Room Tip: all rooms are awesome
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank KDST
Reviewed 22 June 2016

Where to begin? Hat's off to the entire staff. All are caring, attentive and well trained. They went to great lengths to ensure we enjoyed our stay. Tom & Rebecca were always helpful. Tom's wrangler crew is top-notch. We could also tell that the horses are carefully selected and well trained. My wife, having ridden only twice before was made to feel comfortable and secure knowing that she was in safe hands with Tom's wranglers keeping an eye on her. We enjoyed the varied rides and the beautiful landscapes. The 4x4 ride with Peter was especially great...

Peter & Marijin are truly wonderful. We felt like house guests! The food, service and accommodations are 5 Star! Our small group stayed in the Cassitas and were more than pleased. Clean, nicely appointed and the view was great! The entire facility is clean and very well maintained.

We could go on, but would run out of room. A BIG thank you to the gang at the Hideout! You were wonderful. Having traveled to many locales through the years, I can honestly say that the week at the ranch was #1.

Jim & Fran

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!