All reviews head wrangler riding experience guest ranch fly fishing trap shooting other guests cocktail hour experienced riders nose to tail riding ability interesting guests western riding each evening western experience slide show new friends wild mustangs
Reviewed September 25, 2017

As a Horse Owner, Equestrian and Farm Operator I found The Hideout a perfect blend of Horsemanship, Wranglers, Food and Accommodations. The riding territory is immense and beautiful. Rides were very well organised by level of ability and allowed for us, as riders, to experience a true western holiday! The horses are wonderful. The personal references to us by ALL the staff was much appreciated. Attention to detail in all that the Ranch provides did not go unnoticed.
One of our favorite days was the Ride and Fly Fish! The all day cattle drive was also top of the list.
The Ranch Owners, Peter and Marjin, were hands on and are wonderful people. The Ranch Managers Tom and Rebecca are welcoming and show the true spirit of hospitality. There will be no other Ranch Vacation after this, unless we return to The Hideout! It is the ultimate riding experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the Casita!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anne V
Reviewed September 24, 2017

This was our third visit to the The Hideout....the great American West really gets in this New Englanders' blood! Once again, this guest ranch exceeded every expectation. My husband and I did full day rides every day, and had a wonderful time. Working the cattle was a blast! As always, the horses were great, as was the food, the staff, the ranch itself. My one regret was the pool was not ready-they were breaking ground this time last year, and I'd hoped it would be done.....oh, well, I guess this means we have to go back again to check it out! :)

As I said in my first review, this is a superb experience. If you are looking for a great ranch vacation in every way, get yourself to the Hideout! Many thanks to Peter, Marjin, Tom, Rebecca, and all the rest of the staff for going above and beyond to make this a great vacation. Hoping we can return again soon!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank spurgirl3
Reviewed September 17, 2017

My favorite email is the questionnaire I receive from The Hideout staff a few weeks before I arrive. It means my trip to Shell, WY and the ranch is close! It's also an early indication of the level of guest service they offer. How tall am I? What horse did I ride last year? Do I have any food requirements? Do I need airport transport? All questions are designed with my comfort and happiness in mind. The Hideout truly wants me to have special vacation and it shows from the minute I step on to the property.
The horse herd is magnificent. I love hearing the head wrangler, Tom call them early in the morning and watching them all troop in to the barn. They're happy, healthy, and well mannered.
The accommodations are lovely...the beds are cushy and cozy and so great to slip into after a long day in the saddle. Cocktail hour is fun..the wranglers provide a slide show of everyone's ride that day...it's fun to see what others did. Chef Mary and her staff provide a fantastic dining experience. They remember my name and my particular eating habits...they make sure I have everything I want.
The wranglers are special. They're kind, knowledgable, patient, and funny. They're tasked with making sure the guests have a great time and indulge us in the silliest requests.
The scenery is simply breathtaking. From mountain meadows, to woodsy trails, to burbling streams, to the little lake tucked in the back, to the dessert....it's all within reach. And, if you want to push some cows, sign up for cattle work Tuesday!
My sister and I love our annual vacation to The Hideout. We've made great friends and we talk about it all the time. If you've ever contemplated a dude ranch vacation, pull the trigger and visit The Hideout Lodge and Guest Ranch...you'll love it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in The Casitas....they have a washer and dryer.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank sweetfeed
Reviewed September 7, 2017

This all inclusive dude ranch had no disappointments. It is upscale but fairly wallet friendly. It is not child oriented. The facilities and amenities are lovely. The food is delicious and the cabins are cozy. They are en suite and also have a stocked mini-fridge, a/c and heat. The herd of around 100 horses are extremely well cared for. The ranch also participates in the rehoming and training of mustangs. The ranch sits on 500,000 acres of beautiful WY landscape. The horses graze outside your cabin window against a beautiful mountain background. There are only 25 guests per week, so that allows a lot of flexibility for trail riding and other activities. All levels of riding are available. We participated in ½ day rides and each of them was very different from the other. My husband, a novice rider, loved the week. The staff is friendly and helpful. The wranglers were experienced and provided riding tips on the trail rides. We enjoyed the trip so much that we have booked another for 2018. The ranch is located about an hour east of Cody WY. You can arrange an airport pickup if needed. FYI There is no cellular service, but the wifi, which extends to the cabins, is excellent. They also provide free long distance telephone service.

Room Tip: Mollie Cropsey cabin had a view of the mountains and a view of the pasture.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cajFlorida
Reviewed August 28, 2017

Not sure I can add much to the superlatives in other reviews, as they all ring true. This was so much more than a vacation, even as the pristine setting, clean and well-appointed cabins, excellent food, and spectacular riding program might make it seem like another spot to choose among high-end dude ranches. The difference is in the details of hospitality, the commitment to excellence, the horse to rider ratio of 3 to 1, and phenomenally trained horses that are well cared for. The people were all delightful (guests, wranglers, staff, owners) and the experience for us, middle-aged greenhorns, went way beyond our expectations. A rare moment of authenticity that I hope to repeat as often as possible.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple