The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Shell
See available hotels
  • Pool
Econo Inn(Lovell)
Comfort Inn(Worland)
View Hotel
All reviewshead wranglerriding experienceguest ranchfly fishingcocktail hourother gueststrap shootingexperienced ridersriding abilitynose to taileach eveningwestern ridingwestern experienceslide showwild mustangslast foreverinteresting people
Reviewed October 9, 2017

Searching for Excellent - Found it at The Hideout Ranch

After 41 years in business, I give The Hideout Ranch Owners and staff an A+ in every aspect of their operations. The owners Peter and Marijn lead by example with attention to detail in every facet of the operation from the clean and wonderful lodge, cabins and grounds, well trained horses, great meals, outstanding daily activities, and a staff that makes you feel as if you were a friend visiting their home.
When I mention staff, I mean everyone: the Chef, Kitchen staff, Waite staff, House-Keepers, Head Wrangler and Wranglers, Grounds-Keepers, Administration staff, and the horses. Congratulations to Peter, Marijn and their team, for a job well done. Thank you for a wonderful time as your guest.

Go to The Hideout and create a memory that will last forever.
NH

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank 17mo1
Reviewed October 7, 2017

As a return guest, I can say without a doubt, being at the Hideout for my 9th visit is like "coming home". At the age of almost 70, one never knows what the future will bring, and my husband and I are so grateful that we are still able to return to the Hideout and participate so extensively in all the activities--basically riding as much as we can--from half day rides to all-day cattle drives (my favorite). Even under some wet and snowy weather conditions this year, our trip was just as awesome as when the weather gods offer up those perfect days. Being out in the elements just added to the adventure. Safety is a priority at the Hideout and the wranglers and staff are attentive to the smallest details and guests' needs. This year we had the opportunity to assist with a big cattle gathering which was spectacular. I have done cattle work at the Hideout before, but this year was the best. All the guests took pride in what we accomplished. In addition to the riding and horsemanship, the food and accommodations are first class in every aspect. One of the special amenities the Hideout affords guests is their photography. Wranglers each carry a camera and take photos of guests during each activity--riding, fishing, trap shooting, archery, etc. Each evening they provide a slide show during cocktails and each guest is sent a link to the week's photos for their own personal use. Having this collection of photos from my first visit to the Hideout with my granddaughter is priceless. We can't wait to return in 2018. There are no words to define what a special place the Hideout is--it must be experienced to be appreciated.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skwood022
Reviewed October 4, 2017

This was my husband's and my second year to The Hideout and we were treated like returning friends. I had done extensive research before our first trip seeking a very elusive dude ranch experience. I wanted the ranch to be all about the horses and horsemanship. I wanted upscale(not fancy) accommodations and food and I did not want to be a number. Wow! Did The Hideout deliver! Comfortable, pristine "glamping-type cabins with very comfy beds, food WAY above chuck wagon grub, a staff bending over backwards to ensure you felt welcome and happy. By day two, everyone on the staff knew your name-I kept looking for the bodyguard earpieces...lol.
And then there was the riding-that's what we were here for. Everyday, you had a choice of morning, afternoon and all day rides. The horses were beautifully cared for and matched to the experience level of the rider. Walking, trotting, loping (conditions and experience permitting), we did it all. The rides were also segmented to rider experience. Less experienced riders were grouped together and went slower, but saw the same beautiful landscape. The ranch only takes 25 guest each week, so the riding groups were small-no nose-to-tail here. Spread out, folks. Just keep in sight distance of the wrangler/group. The cattle work is definitely the highlight (2 days!!). This is not manufactured work-it's real and it's work, but it's fun. The cattle dogs come too and show us how it's done, cresting a ridge to discover 50 head of cattle to drive down the mountain, working as a team and learning the how to control the herd and turn them where you want them to go-the most fun I have all year. If you want the real deal and not a resort that has horses, come to The Hideout. I guarantee, like potato chips, you can not do this just once.

Room Tip: our second year, we choose the cabin nearest the barn-it was fun to look out the window and see the horses coming in from the pasture.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank likeluxury2
Reviewed September 25, 2017

As a Horse Owner, Equestrian and Farm Operator I found The Hideout a perfect blend of Horsemanship, Wranglers, Food and Accommodations. The riding territory is immense and beautiful. Rides were very well organised by level of ability and allowed for us, as riders, to experience a true western holiday! The horses are wonderful. The personal references to us by ALL the staff was much appreciated. Attention to detail in all that the Ranch provides did not go unnoticed.
One of our favorite days was the Ride and Fly Fish! The all day cattle drive was also top of the list.
The Ranch Owners, Peter and Marjin, were hands on and are wonderful people. The Ranch Managers Tom and Rebecca are welcoming and show the true spirit of hospitality. There will be no other Ranch Vacation after this, unless we return to The Hideout! It is the ultimate riding experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the Casita!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anne V
Reviewed September 24, 2017

This was our third visit to the The Hideout....the great American West really gets in this New Englanders' blood! Once again, this guest ranch exceeded every expectation. My husband and I did full day rides every day, and had a wonderful time. Working the cattle was a blast! As always, the horses were great, as was the food, the staff, the ranch itself. My one regret was the pool was not ready-they were breaking ground this time last year, and I'd hoped it would be done.....oh, well, I guess this means we have to go back again to check it out! :)

As I said in my first review, this is a superb experience. If you are looking for a great ranch vacation in every way, get yourself to the Hideout! Many thanks to Peter, Marjin, Tom, Rebecca, and all the rest of the staff for going above and beyond to make this a great vacation. Hoping we can return again soon!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple