“Nice, clean rooms”
Review of Manago Hotel

Manago Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Captain Cook
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Competitively priced, clean rooms, simple, no-frills. The private veranda looking out towards the ocean is an added bonus on the 2nd and 3rd floors - perfect to watch the sun set. A great choice to spend the night.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 October 2012

It’s an historic hotel, without TV or any fancy amenities.
Room was relatively comfortable.

The owner works at the front desk and was very friendly.

The cheap rate is a big incentive to stay there.

Not too far from Kona, so if you tour the island I’d recommend to stay at Capt. Cook before heading back to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This hotel is a great bargain! We stayed in the Japanese room which I would highly recommend. I have no complaints about the room at all, nor any about this hotel. The attached restaurant is a bargain with great food. The pork chops and ahi were amazing! Breakfast spam, rice, and guava juice was heavenly. Our room had a TV but maybe it's just the Japanese rooms? The tatami mats were looking worn but I really have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Manago. Parking was always available. We'll definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Book the Japanese room for a unique experience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VisitTravelFun
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is the perfect place to stay if you plan on being out all day and just need a place to crash and take a shower before venturing out the next day. I think it is reasonably safe but there are locals that seem to live there year round. At the time of my stay in August 2003 there were not phones and cell reception was not so hot. This is not a negative if you are really trying to get away from it all but something to consider if you want to be reachable. Even though they do not put much (at all) into the furnishings they do keep things clean and for the price you can not complain. I stayed in one of the cheapest rooms there was and I think if I did it again I would maybe spring for the upgrade. Overall, this place left me wanting to return and wishing that Maui had a similar accomadations not located in Central Maui.

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms are good enough but spring for the upgrade and you will be a bit more confortable...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank HeatherLea70
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I hesitate to write this review, because I don't want to jeopardize my chances of getting a reservation at Manago the next time I visit Hawai'i. But since I planned my first-ever Hawaiian vacation by using online review sites, I'd like to provide enough information for readers to make informed decisions, and for the Manago Hotel to prosper for at least another 95 years.

I stayed at the Manago Hotel for two weeks, in a third-floor room (walk-up, of course). In my opinion, the Manago Hotel is the perfect place for a budget-conscious traveler who wants a safe, clean, comfortable place to stay while traveling. The rooms are impeccably clean (to the point that you can walk across the floor barefooted and feel comfortable -- unlike in many hotels charging 3 times as much). It was the little things that impressed me most: there were plenty of hangers in the closet, the housekeeping staff provided fresh linens every day and replenished toilet paper without being asked (again, a luxury not found in many of the big-box chains), and the jalousie windows were always opened to provide a wonderful, cooling, fresh cross-breeze in the afternoons. There was even bright enough lighting for me to work on the Hawaiian quilt project I started while there -- and anyone who knows needlework knows that it's nearly impossible to find adequate lighting in any hotel.

I loved sitting out on my little balcony, watching the ocean in the distance, looking at the beautiful flowers and tropical foliage, and listening to all the marvelous bird sounds. At night, the coqui and crickets provided a lovely concert. Although I visited during the rainy season, I still managed to catch a few decent sunsets from the balcony.

The location was perfect for me, since I wanted to be close enough to the national and state parks for day trips, and away from the resort areas with their traffic, high prices and craziness. It's only about a half hour's drive from the Kona airport, and right on the main road, so it's hard to miss. I made a point not to be out much after dark, as Hawai'i's roads can be "interesting". There's also a bus stop right in front of the hotel, although I never used it, since I had a rental car.

Now, for the part that will preserve this lovely hotel for people who will truly appreciate its charm. Manago Hotel provides the basic amenities very well. If you're looking for a place with TV or phones in the rooms, perfumed soaps, monogrammed writing paper, room service, elevators, valet parking, swimming pools, movie stars and whatnot, Kailua-Kona is crawling with hotels like that. If you expect the walls to be thick enough that you can carry on like a maniac after 9 PM, again, the concrete box hotels downtown await.

But if you know how to behave yourself in public and provide for your own luxuries and entertainment, the Manago Hotel is a lovely place to stay. Just please don't book the room I want when I return!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank Travel251_12
Reviewed 9 August 2012

You're lucky if you can get a reservation. No frills - just nice people. Very inexpensive and beautiful. You can see the ocean from the top level - a few dollars more for each level. The garden is lovely. The porkchops are great. Everyone on the Big Island know this place. Just book ahead. Enjoy. I have been there many times. My favorite place.

Room Tip: It's all good. Just don't expect a T.V. -- have a night off from the tube
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank virginia k
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Nothing fancy, no pool, just clean rooms, nice people.... we loved it....great trip!

Room Tip: 3rd floor has best views
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
18.7 km away
Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
#13 of 14 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Manago Hotel? Share your experiences!