“Camping in Hilo”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Lawrence, Kansas
“Camping in Hilo”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I camped here for just over $11/night. The location is far from the city center, so you would need a car to stay here. All of the common areas (tv room, dining area, bathrooms) are outside, so bring mosquito repellant. Because the showers available to campers are outside and there is only a cloth curtain for privacy, you will need to shower in a swimming suit (the wind blows the curtain open). I found the absence of plumbing to be a bit gross; the gray water from the showers and sink drain onto the rock walkway, so you end up walking in whatever was spit into the sink. All of the areas available to campers were extremely clean, the staff was friendly and the kitchen was well equipped. They have an excessive number of signs with rules, the strangest was a sign requiring campers who snore to get a room.

3 Thank 1TelltLikeItIs
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. Doug Arnott our owner would like to respond to your comments. Our showers and toilet facilities are truly second to none for tenters on the Big Island. The choice to put gray water back into the ground is an important part of ecotourism and this is the first comment we've had have on this matter. We are considering weights on the shower curtains although again our facility at least has curtains as most others don't. Where in Hawaii can you have full use of hot showers, flushing toilets, free wifi and computer, HBO and washer/dryer facilities all for $10 a night? The reason we ask for snorers to take a room is we've had one person keep the entire tent ground awake and so we consider this a reasonable request. Mahalo again for your review. We will take your comments into consideration.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Schaffhausen
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I spent 3 nights in Arnott's lodge and was really happy with my stay. Rooms and bathroom are clean and comfortable and affordable as well for budget travelers. The kitchen is well equipped and there is a big TV in the garden. The staff is very friendly and well informed to make your stop in Hilo an unforgettable experience.

2 Thank Andreas K
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Aloha Andreas, Mahalo for taking the time to review Arnott's Lodge. It was a pleasure having you as one of our guest. We hope to see you again soon in the future. Aloha
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I chose Arnott's lodge because I wanted a clean affordable place to shower and sleep at the end of each day of my vacation on the Big Island. Arnott's didn't let me down. I was very happy with their accomadations. I stayed in their deluxe room for 7 nights at a cost of just over 500 dollars. Well within my budget so I was able to join 2 of the tours offered as well. My room was clean and comfortable and all I needed since I was out all day touring the island. I put 1,080 miles on my rental car! A word about the tours. I went on the Vocano day tour and the Mauna Kea sunset and stargazing tour. Both times the tour guides were impressively knowledgable, friendly, helpful and down right fun. I learned a great deal about the big Island and saw some amazing sights thanks to Arnott's! I highly recommend Arnott's Lodge for people like me who don't want to sit in their hotel room all day and order room service. Get out there and go Arnott's!

Room Tip: Check out the web site. That's how I found my room. You can see pictures of the rooms or other...
1 Thank Michelle N
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Aloha Michelle, mahalo for the great review! It's travelers like you that appreciate what we have to offer at Arnott's Lodge. We do our best to make our lodge guests comfortable and happy. I'm glad you also enjoyed our tours. We appreciate the beauty of this island and love sharing it with visitors.
We hope to see you again in the near future. Aloha and Mahalo.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed in a "Deluxe Room." This room had an a/c unit, a ceiling fan, its own bathroom with towels supplied, a small refrigerator and coffee pot. It also has a nice little table for enjoying one's breakfast on the "front porch", which faces the quiet, pleasant, and mostly private back instead of the noisier front area. There is a connecting door to a lounge area with kitchen supplies - but don't worry, there is no TV, nor was anyone being noisy in that room the entire time we were there. There is not a TV in the room (I considered this a plus), but there is one in a common area, nowhere near the room. There is free internet. There are no phones in the rooms, since most people have their own, but there is a phone in the common area. The room next door had a sliding glass door, and the hall to the lounge room could be connected to this room if the occupants were in the same party.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean, but you may occasionally see some small ants. Arnott's tours are well worth taking. Arnott's also provides dorm rooms and even "tenting" on the lawn. They have toilets accessible for tenters. Although this is a cheap alternative, and they do maintain "quiet times", the tenters will certainly hear some gravel-crunching. Arnott's has some nice seating under a porch. They do not have an on-site restaurant, but you can't go wrong at Ken's House of Pancakes, which serves far more than you would guess . . . Arnott's is perfectly located, not far from the airport or town. I was impressed with how quiet the deluxe room was.

Room Tip: Spring for the Deluxe.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Explorecreate
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your nice review. Although we do not have TV's and telephones in the rooms we do have 2 large communal TV's for guests to use along with payphones at the vending area.

In regard to the ants that you saw, we try to tread a fine line between keeping the tropical environment at bay and not soaking our guest rooms in dangerous chemicals, to this end we do provide bug spray in the rooms and in the kitchen area so guests may spot treat anything that concerns them. As members of the Ecotourism Association, we try to balance eradication with guest safety.

Arnott's Lodge is located in a great location with great walks and bike rides to downtown and beach parks. We are also within walking distance to local convenience stores where you can purchase sandwiches and home made ice-cream. In addition, to Ken's House of Pancakes we are a 10-15 minute walk to the Seaside restaurant that has their own fish farm. Mahalo again for taking the time to review us, we hope to see you again in the future. Aloha
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed in a deluxe room during our trip in Hilo. Made reservations online and requested for a queen size bed but got a full instead (which was fine since we were only staying a night). We had a private bath, a fridge and coffee maker located in the hallway outside the room. Free internet was available in our room and we also had access to the communal living room and kitchen. Everything was very clean and well kept. The grounds where our room was located was also well maintained. Outdoor chairs are plentiful and there is a picnic table in the property grounds that you can use. This is a nice lodge with basic amenities and their pricing is pretty good. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank NYCRotaryRocket
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. We were concerned by your comment that you did not get a queen size bed so we went online to obtain the standard specifications and with some concern measured all of our beds in the deluxe units. We were relieved to find that all measure 60x80 inches the standard for a queen size bed. Perhaps you are accustomed to the California Queen which is 4 inches longer.

The picnic table near the deluxe units is a recent addition and has had an umbrella added since your stay. We make an effort to constantly upgrade our facilities. Thank you very much for the rest of your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again soon in the future. Aloha
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed in the women's bunk room (there was a men's on the other side of the building). The room and grounds in general were clean, and I felt safe and comfortable throughout. The Lodge also offers camping, individual rooms with shared bathrooms, and regular hotel style rooms as well.

Of all the places, I stayed at on The Big Island, this was my favorite, and I would have to say it was the vibe. The Lodge was a place that loved its travelers, providing a free DVD room, a kitchen for bunk room and camping guests, and a guest appreciation night with free beer and pizza. Guests are also asked to sign a contract which says that use of drugs and extreme drunkenness are not permitted (which while I'm not against, I greatly appreciated).

The only downfall that I found was that while the Lodge provided clean sheets, it did not provide blankets, which I did not have and is a must for me (I like to feel the weight) even in rather hot weather. The result was that I was using a towel to keep me warm. The overall feel, though, was earthy-crunchy and friendly (the owner lives in a house on the property), and I would definitely choose to stay there again when I next get back to the island.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrea B
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. We've recently upgraded our dorms so that there are no bunks. We've got the open dorms and the lockable dorms. Our dorms are popular due to its price.

Unfortunately we did stop our beer and pizza night on Saturdays due to the recession but will possibly bring it back in the future.

I wished you notified us in regards to needing a blanket. We would've happily given you one. The dorms are self-service therefore we give you the sheets and you make your own bed.

Myself and the staff continue to strive to provide the aloha and warm hospitality vibe to our new guests and returning guests.

We look forward to seeing you soon in the future. Aloha
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 May 2012

What a comfy, well run hostel! Our private room with fridge, double bed and enough space for our stuff was in a suite with a well equipped kitchen (coffee pot would be a nice addition), another private room, bathroom and two beds in the living room. Around the grounds, there were open air, shady places to sit, relax, watch the giant TV and lots more facilities. The centre is a bit far to walk and the bus is sporadic but they rent bikes. Otherwise you need a car here. We'd stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susan G
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Aloha Susan and thank you for your review. We will put into thought and consideration in regards to a coffee pot in the semi-private units. Although we do provide coffee and coffee pot for our deluxe units. We also have a coffee vending machine which grinds fresh beans. Thanks for pointing out our communal areas on the premise which encourages others to be outdoors and also a chance to mingle with other travelers. Our $7 bike rentals are a hit!!! And not to mention our $1 bus fares into downtown, the mall or Kona. We hope to see you again soon in the future. Aloha and Mahalo!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
2.8 km away
86.9 km away
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
100.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Arnott's Lodge? Share your experiences!