“The kids were addicted!”

Hawaiian Brain Freeze Shave Ice and Ice cream
Ranked #4 of 14 Dessert in Hilo
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed October 23, 2015

This place has a lovely family atmosphere. The family members are all very "sweet". The sizes are quite eye-popping. I told my kids they were only allowed the medium size as we still had dinner to go to later on in the day. They were both disappointed because they wanted the Large size until they saw the medium size shaved ice. It was HUGE!!! Our boys were smiling from ear to ear. The boys had various flavors, but I always stick to my green tea and azuki bean snow-capped (drizzled with condensed milk). It was very, very good. I tried the boys and theirs was excellent as well. Now, having had shaved ice in various parts of Hawaii, I have learned that it's all about the syrups. Their syrups were tasty; however, I thought it was sweeter than other places.Don't get me wrong. It was still so ono! The boys loved it! I saw some locals come in and they all had the ice cream. We should have tried the ice cream, but since we don't shaved ice that often here in the Mainland, we opted for it instead. But, the ice flavors looked very good and the people seemed to enjoy it. I wanted to try the Halo Halo, but we had run out of time. Great place with good shaved ice!

Reviewed August 1, 2015

We enjoyed a large size shaved ice treat together. We stuck to island flavours of mango, passion fruit and banana. It was huge! There is seating inside and we are glad as it would quickly melt in the Hilo heat outside! We also tried a hotdog- not a good idea. Lots of patrons were buying ice cream and seemed quite happy with their purchases. Great variety of flavours to choose from.

Reviewed July 12, 2015 via mobile

An out of the way local shop with possibly the best shave ice and ice cream on the big island, note : beware the small is really big any bigger and your brain will freeze! We will return a great value

1  Thank gebarn
Reviewed July 11, 2015

If you want a variety of flavours of ice cream, drop into this place. You may only see about 20 flavours on display, but there really are 50 flavours on their board and they really have them all. You can also choose shave ice. Super friendly workers and large portions make this the best ice cream pick on the island.

1  Thank Sue2000
Reviewed June 4, 2015 via mobile

Family owned gem. The shaved ice and ice cream are tasty. We came here twice in two days. It's a must eat when you're in Hilo. Every flavor is lights out.