“Good authentic Indian cuisine in Hilo!”
Review of Kamana Kitchen 2

Kamana Kitchen 2
Ranked #31 of 262 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed December 27, 2017

I went there for dinner with my girl friend on Labor Day. The restaurant is in an alley in the old Hilo Shopping center, don't worry about parking. The place was formerly a coffee house or diner as I recall, with the vinyl centric furnishings still present. There usually is some Bollywood video on the TV.

I've been here many times and I must say it has really good and authentic Indian food compared with any other place in the US or UK I've eaten. This time I had my favorite Lamb Curry and my GF had the Chicken Curry. I got the spicy and it's just right for me, the lamb was tender and the curry was delicious.

Service was good and prompt. Imagine, good and authentic Indian cuisine in Hilo! Pricing is very reasonable, hey did I say it was in Hilo?

Reviewed December 25, 2017

Great food!! good service.. just want we were looking for. They have good quantities too.. we tried their Biryani and loved it! Our server even gave us complimentary rice putting which was SOOO tasty ... we loved their Samosas, Garlic Naan, Chicken tikka masala, Biryani and lamb kadai..

Reviewed December 21, 2017

We are from India and after a few days of out eating out (during the vacation) wanted to try an Indian restaurant. Kamana serves good, flavorful Indian food - that is not too creamy like many Indian restaurants in the US and not overly spicy either. We felt the food had a good balance of flavors. The service was excellent. we would definitely recommend this place if you are in Hilo and interested in Indian food.

1  Thank muk_sd
Reviewed October 2, 2017

It's been awhile since we've been able to enjoy good Indian food. When we found this place while on our short vacation to Big Island from Oahu, we were excited to check it out. We saw the review titled, "Where Was the Flavor" and so wasn't expecting great food, but since we've never once eaten bad Indian food, we thought it'd be worth trying out anyway. I'm so glad we did! I don't know what that review saw lacking but every bite was full of the Indian flavors we were expecting, and more! There were four of us so we ordered two of the non-vegetarian Royal Platters and an order of the Aloo Paratha. I was trying to watch my portions because of my diet, but these dishes made that impossible. Each element was perfectly delicious and flavorful (except for, for me, the lamb, but I don't like lamb no matter who cooks it...my husband liked the lamb) and I couldn't get enough. It's really a place that we could eat at every day if we had the money (and if we lived on Big Island). The only complaint I might have is the service wasn't quite as good as the food. It wasn't terrible service, but it definitely wasn't up to expected standards (it took awhile for the server to begin serving us (even though there weren't many patrons at the time we were there) and all food and drinks were rolled out on a busboy dish cart), but we overlooked that because the food well made up for it. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who loves Indian food as much as we do.

1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed September 18, 2017

We really wanted to like Kamana. The people were so friendly. However, we were not impressed with the food, and the restaurant is pretty much lacking in any kind of decor or ambiance.

At the time of our visit to Kamana Kitchen, we were frequenting an Indian restaurant in our town where the spice/heat levels had become incendiary at a medium level. When we put in our order, we explained that we liked flavors and spices, but that we did not want to get our mouths burned out. Our server assured us that their medium spice level chana masala would be just right.....It was truly the blandest chana masala we have ever had, with no heat and no spicing whatsoever. The chicken kabob and chicken tikka masala were just ok, and the mixed grill not very good quality ingredients.

Overall, our experience at Kamana Kitchen was a disappointment.