All reviews old hawaii rustic hotel sugar plantation hamakua coast gracious hosts fresh fruit ocean kona
Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

This place is easy to drive past (I did) but don't. If you want to experience old Hawaii, and be treated like honored guests, this is a must. Gracious hosts out of a bygone era, architecture that is on the historic registry, and rooms with an incredible ocean view. If you like Holiday Inn and being treated like another dollar, skip this place. Sure it can use some fresh paint (but not too much, it would take away some of the charm), but the knowledge and outright friendliness of the hosts compensates for.any short comings. My wife and I will be back whenever we return.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2017

We had a wonderful room overlooking a garden and a spectacular ocean view from the windows. The hotel is historic, built plantation-style like most of the houses in the quaint town of Honokaa. It is exceedingly well positioned along the main street, with lots of interesting little shops to explore and very nice eateries. For someone seeking an unusual place to vacation, this offers a trip back in time, and we loved it. It is also a favorable location from which to explore the rest of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Room Tip: Ask for a Northern-facing room to have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2017

Our room had a beautiful ocean view, was clean and pleasant. The continental breakfast is fresh fruit, bread, jam, coffee tea, all that you need to start your day. The owners are there to visit with you, answer tourist questions...very nice people. It is located in central Honokaa very convenient to restaurants.

Room Tip: there are several types of rooms. We stayed on second floor, private bathroom, superior ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Marcie P
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Historic Hawaiian hotel near the spectacular Waipio Valley and rugged Hamakua coast. It is locally owned and run. If you want bells and whistles this is not for you, but if an authentic, cultural experience is your cup of tea - please book a night or two during your Big Island stay. There is exceptional natural beauty on this part of the island you'll be glad you took advantage of it. Request room 8 or 9 to be at the back side where the open windows frames a palm-friend view towards the shimmering ocean beyond. Honoka'a is at 2000' elevation so the breezes are cool and lovely.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed May 31, 2017

I killed 7 roaches in the room, real roaches. After doing Pest Control services on my vacations, this hotel charged me 120 dollars (1 night). If this fits your wildest dreams, this hotel is for you.

Now the whole story for the patients.
I initially booked this room with Booking.com for 2 nights, then my wife and I got there around 7pm after enjoying a full day at beaches close to Hilo. My wife took a shower and we went to get some dinner at a restaurant. When we got back to the room, the roaches did a warm welcome and started playing hide and seek with my flip-flop. I called the manager who lent me a spray that didn't work. Long story short, after I killed the 5th roach, I called Booking.com to say that I was leaving the hotel, and they called the hotel manager (during this call I killed 2 more roaches). After some minutes, I received an email from Booking.com saying that I wouldn't be charged for anything if I left at that time (and during the phone the agent confirmed that the manager was okay if I left, that I wouldn't pay anything). My wife even called the manager and said that we were leaving. So, I booked another hotel and we headed back to Hilo around 9pm.

Time passed and for my surprise, after my vacations, I noticed that this hotel returned half of my stay alleging that I took a shower, so they would charge one night, thus returning just the 2nd night. Booking.com intervened on my behalf and the roac... oops the hotel was firm, tough. No smoke, the hotel has not returned the full amount I paid, and I wish I could go back to bring those roaches back to life, or else charge the hotel for my Pest Control services.

I must say that Booking.com was so comprehensive and did listen to my concerns, so much so that they refunded me for the amount the hotel will buy in food to feed the roaches to get more free money from other guests. I just wanted to point out that I am not against roaches, since they are very evolved animals. It's just that I don't want to pay to sleep with them.

If you want to go to Waipio Valley, there's no need at all to stay at Honokaa. Stay in Hilo and drive early in the morning to Waipio Valley. That was the mistake I had done and that I highly recommend for you to not do the same.

Room Tip: no good room
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family