“Tasty but needs bigger portions”
Review of Waipio Cookhouse

Waipio Cookhouse
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Honokaa
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch after our ATV tour. (See Ride The Rim ATV TOUR review). It’s convenient location combined with farm to table freshness is appealing. They had 2 calves by the parking lot who were absolutely adorable! We only hoped they are destined as dairy cows.

They have pleasant covered outdoor seating with free WiFi. I ordered the Kailua pig loco moco. The food was delicious. I just wish there was more of it. I’m not a big person by any means (130 lbs 5’7). I could’ve eaten another 1/2 portion of my meal. It’s also on the pricey side for how much you get.

This restaurant gets a 5⭐️ for taste and ambiance but a 2⭐️ for portion size. Bottom line, worth the stop but you may need to order extra food to fill up!

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Had a great supper here. Really good fish.

Arrived almost at closing time yet they were friendly and accommodating and looked after us well. Nice seating outdoors to enjoy the scenery.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

Long ride from Hilo to Waipio. Glad to find a really good BBQ joint for a quick meal before heading back. Larry was out back smoking bacon and took time to talk about the ranch where the Cookhouse is located. Nice view of the ocean and tropical flowers while having a relaxing meal. Service staff were friendly but busy.

Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

We love The Waipio Cookhouse! Just great food, excellent service, outdoor dining, and did I say, GREAT FOOD?

Larry and his crew work very hard to prepare the finest smoked and cured meats and fixings. The menu is inventive and creative. And it is delicious!

Everything is reasonably priced and beautifully presented. Great views of The Pacific and really lovely grounds on a budget. Enjoy!

Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

I don’t understand the reviews for this restaurant. I ordered the brisket sandwich and my husband had the kalua pork sandwich 2 diet cokes for $32. Both of our sandwiches were flavorless. The coleslaw that came with the sandwiches was also lacking any type of seasoning or flavor. Very expensive for what you get and I live in Hawaii so I understand prices here.
When we ordered I said hello and the woman didn’t even acknowledge me. She was writing an address on a letter and just ignored us. She was so unfriendly.

For the life of me I don’t understand these 4 and 5 star reviews. Maybe tourists are so happy about sitting outside and looking at the ocean that they don’t notice that there is no flavor and it is expensive.

2  Thank willtravelforfood16