Rainbow Plantation B&B
Manago Hotel(Captain Cook)(Great Value!)
US$72
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
US$249
  • Pool
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$649
US$299
Marriott Hotels
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 February 2018

DO NOT BOOK HERE. Christian provides an abissimal level of customer service. Instead of taking responsibility for my reservation being double booked, he blamed other booking websites. Efforts to communicate that the reservation was cancelled were minimal and shoddy. He did not offer to refund my stay. Surely there are better places to stay where customer service is a priority.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
ChristianRainbow, Owner at Rainbow Plantation B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

NOT true at all. Kelly was sent several emails to tell her about this double booking. They ended in her trash inbox so she did not see them until a week before arrival (?). She was also offered a FULL refund !!! Kelly was NEVER HERE, so what does she know about our place ?
Nothing. We take VERY well care of your guests. Get 4-5 star ratings all the time. We have super happy guests ! What would this guest know if she did not stay here ? Kelly's own inactions are to blame for this, not ours. Next time check your emails better Kelly. I emailed you the same day you booked that it was a double booking. I even called the booking website, and they told me THEY would notify you. I did what I could and the best that can be expected of me.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

We had a great week in the spacious Crows Nest on the Rainbow plantation. The garden is like a rainforest, giving privacy, music of birds and a great view. The morning breakfast tasted delicious every morning and gave us the chance to talk with the other guests and crew which was very nice. The shared outside kitchen is well equipted and is situated next to the Crows Nest.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

We arrived at the Rainbow Plantation B&B late. The owner knew that we were going to be arriving late and did not give us directions as to how to get to our room. I tried to call and no answer which I found highly unprofessional. We drove down the narrow road and luckily saw the sign, which was very small, to the office. I walked up and noticed a room that was empty, with lights on and had the children's pack and play in it. So we assumed that was our room and would worry about it the next morning if it wasn't. The room was adequate. It had a bed a futon and a small TV. There was very little maintenance done on it and the floor was peeling up in places the bathroom smelled like septic and the futon cover was dirty. The bed was made but it was not made well and the sheets may or may not have been clean. There were three people staying in our room but only enough towels for two. The towels did not get changed out during our four-night stay at all. In fact we had to ask for our babies sheets to be washed and then new ones to be brought down, which I had to ask 3 times to get. Breakfast was just okay. The owner is very cheap and only serves eggs, bread he makes, and fruits he grows on the property. There's a one egg limit per person which is clearly posted on a sign. Breakfast started at 8 and ended at 9 and the employees came out to eat. If you were not done by 9 you felt like you were intruding on them. One positive was that the 2 gals that worked there were very friendly and professional. Christian just seemed like an angry man, who did not speak kindly to his employees, who wanted to sell the property. For the price this place was not worth it and I definitely would not stay there again.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank star152120
ChristianRainbow, Owner at Rainbow Plantation B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

I am very sorry that nothing was according to this guests expectations. But I think any place would have a hard time pleasing this guest. She was unfriendly and demanding before she even sat foot here. Asking for this and that. We all knew she would be difficult. And she was unpleasant to us working here and other guests. Directions to rooms are in the confirmation email I send out. We only have 5 rooms in 2 buildings. We sometimes leave and do fun stuff and I cannot always stay and wait for arrivals or pick up the phone. So far everyone staying here has found their room... We get very good reviews and our guests are happy and often return, but its a sad fact of running a B&B that you cannot please everyone. Some people should just not stay in a family operated small B&B, and rather go to a hotel. And people with a negative attitude travel too. I get raving reviews about our breakfast, which many say is better than most other places they've been to. And yes, our crew starts eating breakfast at 9, and most people at that time have left to go explore the island. We simply cannot wait for a slow guest to finish their long breakfast since we have work to do. There is room for us all ! The room will get a new tiled floor and all the material is placed outside the room. Other than that the room is well liked and nobody complains. And its clean ! And I am certainly not angry... I chat with guests a lot in mornings and often go on hikes with them etc. This guest did not one single time let us know something was wrong. Not a word. I find it sad to pretend all is good and then write a nasty review. I definitely do not recommend this guest.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

We stayed for 4 nights on the Rainbow Plantation and got the Fern Room. It’s not equipped super-modern but was clean. The highlight for us was the ocean view from the room. The facility on a former macadamia nut plantation is beautiful with a koi pond and nice paths between the buildings. There’s an outdoor kitchen and snorkeling stuff to borrow. There are chickens walking around, a peacock, cats and a lot of geckos (and of course the coqui-frogs). The breakfast ist simple but fresh and good, with bread, confiture, fruits (we got for example bananas and papayas from the plantation) and cereals and the Kona coffee is great. As breakfast is served on the owner’s lanai you get in touch with other guests and can share your experiences. The location is great, about 15 minutes from Kona, with different restaurants and shops nearby.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2016

We were ready for more private space after sharing a room in the last place (which was also excellent). Here we had an extra bed in the loft with amazing views. Our own living area. And own fridge. The breakfast each morning was great with fresh fruit and homemade bread, fresh juice. The only downside is that we read in their guest book about these amazing waffles and we never saw those. LOL. Just as well did not need the calories.

Room Tip: Crows nest is a great space for a family or in our case, a mom traveling with her grown son.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
ChristianRainbow, Owner at Rainbow Plantation B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2016

Haha, thanks for the fun and nice review. Next time I'll make sure to have banana pancakes for you !
Christian