New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Kona Boys

Kona Boys
Ranked #2 of 7 Tours in Kealakekua
More attraction details
Owner description: Kona's original, award winning kayak shop, serving the Big Island and specializing in Kealakekua Bay since 1995. We are a small, laid back, island style surf, kayak, and paddle board shop located on the Big Island's Kona Coast above Kealakekua Bay. Helping locals and visitors alike enjoy Hawaii's waters and providing gear for island life.
Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Personable and affordable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My wife and I rented snorkel gear. Everyone in the shop was super nice and relaxed. The rental was affordable and the gear was good.

We saw sea turtles!

1 Thank Missedcue

E. Palatka, Florida
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great aattitude, great warnings and Instructions, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I wanted to do kayak around Captain Cook bay. We read that we can not kayak in the bay without a guided tour. We head out that way to see what we can find and spot Kona Boys along the way. We had seen their advertisement in one of the tourist mags, so we decided to stop. The guys in the shop were great. They explained the rules to us, helped us with instructions, and stressed to us the importance of following the rules. We rented a kayak with cooler, dry bag, life vest, seats with backs and paddles and loaded up. We had a great trip and felt comfortable with the knowledge they had given us.I have a 100 ton captains license, own two boats and two canoes, have been diving for almost 50 years, and my wife and I are both marine biologist. These guys are great!

2 Thank diverdavid
Sudbury, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great Guided Kayak Trip and Snorkeling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Me and my parents booked a group tour with Kona Boys and it was great! Both the guides were clearly experienced at kayaking and snorkeling so it really helped and made you feel comfortable. Lunch was tasty and water was providedso you you didn't have to bring your own. Overall great service made for a great trip!

1 Thank Jazzy0066
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service, instruction, and preparation for kayaking! Very knowledgeable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I wanted to kayak and snorkel in Kealakekua Bay and these guys hooked us up. They have all the right gear (including coolers) and have a helpful "picture by picture" description of how to get to the launch. They also had great tips on getting assistance from the locals and how to moor the kayak once we got there.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Ken C
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome boards, and people too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Kona boys hooked my boyfriend and I up with some awesome surf boards for a few days. They went out of their way to rent us a board they normally dont rent, since the others in the size that we wanted were already out on the water.

The boards were super fun, and with the advice on beaches we got from the staff we had some really fun waves at friendly surf spots.

They were also flexible with our return of the boards. We just had to call them the morning of to extend our use. Thank you for letting me ride the Bush Man you guys! Aloha!

1 Thank steph R