“Beautiful gardens, wonderful steam vents, clean airy room”
Review of Pele's Breath

Pele's Breath
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pahoa
San Francisco
“Beautiful gardens, wonderful steam vents, clean airy room”
Reviewed 6 April 2007

We loved the Steam Vent Inn! We regretfully only stayed two nights. Would have loved to spend another day lounging in their peaceful garden and their naturally heated pool. The steam vents were amazing too. I loved the care the owners have put into the grounds, creating a real oasis. Make sure to try a smoothie at breakfast.

• Liked — Steam vent and natural pool
  • Disliked — Small shared kitchen where you had take turns cooking meals
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank LauraBlij

Solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 August 2006

The steam room and pool were amazing. I would return just to lazy around in the pool. Away from the rest of civilization, it makes a great location for going on short hikes and walking in the lava fields. The accomodations were ok. No a/c, so you can hear all the talking/walking of the family who owns the inn. Make sure you plan for eating as everything closes relatively early and restaurants and markets are a long drive away.

• Liked — Steam vent pool
  • Disliked — accomodations
  • Tips/Secrets — bring food and your shoes!!
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank TD_Says
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2006

I've been to the Steam Vent Inn 2 times. In 2005 and 2006. If you're looking for a hilton, don't go there. If you want a beautiful view, steam vent shower and sauna, lava-heated hot pond and friendly staff then you should definately check it out. I don't understand the bad reviews, you can always go see the steam vent inn before you decide to stay there. Once you saw it you wouldn't want to leave. I am personally friends with the owners. If you're looking for a healing retreat and natural remedies then it's the perfect place for you. I quit smoking while I was there. They serve fresh fruits and eggs from their trees and chickens. Everyone is welcome and you can meet a variety of people while you stay there. It is definately a worthwhile experience. You get a clean room and kitchen to cook and eat in. It's a big house thats been made into a bed and breakfast and health retreat. I will probabaly be back there again soon! See you there.

• Liked — I liked the friendly service and good memories.
  • Disliked — I least liked that there wasn't many channels on the tv, no cable.
  • Tips/Secrets — It's probably not for you if you're not spiritual.
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank LaurenSpina
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 December 2005

this is my favorite place to stay on the big island. hands down. i read this other persons review and was schocked. if you want to goto hawaii and have a sterile experience, go to the hilton , in fact dont even bother visiting puna. Ive stayed at the steam vent inn about 4 times and every time was awesome. The highlights were the steam vents (obviously) in the backyard , there is a shed built around a natural steam vent , its a wonderful experience to steam in natural steam. also (imnot sure if this always comes with room , but )when i was there the owner made us breakfast from fresh eggs from his chickens, fresh fruit from his trees - even fresh sqeezed orang juice. the owner is very nice. perfect place to r+r between adventures.

• Stayed June 2003
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 19 July 2004

We were there in July 2004. I had made arrangements with the owners of the Steamvent Inn to rent the Oceanside Ohana. (The Oceanside Ohana is a seperate house across the street from the ocean in a completely different towncalled Kapoho than was the Steamvent inn.) I paid in full which was big mistake. When I got there the cleanliness was not up to my standards.The windows dirty, floor dirty, refridgerator dirty,no phone, no hot water and stained sheets. I went to the owners and asked for my monies back. The owner was pleasent but tried to remedy the problem with a quick cleaning that wasn't sufficent. The next day we tried to get our money back again and the owner himself went to clean the house it was better but still no good for us with the Hawaiian cockroaches flying everywhere .I wasn't able to sleep at night.
We stayed 5 out 8 nights and I finally said this isn't worth it and made one last attempt to get some money back and with that the owner scolded me and said that he was shocked that I would consider getting any refund because I had negotiated a good deal. I explained that I was hoping he would understand that his Oceanside Ohana just wasn't up to my cleanliness and we were not having a good vacation because of our scary place of refuge. Oh well, lesson learned. I lost 3 nights paid accomidations and had to go elsewhere to pay someone else to make our vacation end on a good note.

21 Thank MeganL_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
30.8 km away
35.5 km away
Dolphin Bay
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 8 in Hilo

Been to Pele's Breath? Share your experiences!