All reviews welcome basket hot tub volcano national park amenities climate
Reviewed June 4, 2015

OMG!!! Love this house. So homey, Location was great! Everything you could ask for. So Easy to find everything from here. Would stay here again. Everyone that went with us love the place , and was so impressed with the authenic Hawaiian décor. Truly a wonderful experience.

Date of stay: May 2015
Reviewed May 16, 2015

We stayed at Ohia Paniolo Cottage for two nights in April 2015 to explore the nearby Volcano National Park - and it turned out to be an ideal base to do just that. The cottage was very comfortable, clean and nicely decorated, making for an enjoyable stay. Communications from the owner were good and although we didn't really use the cooking facilities - there are nice places nearby to eat - the cottage seemed well equipped with all the basics and quite a few extras. All in all, this was a great experience and I'd highly recommend staying here.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2014

Just a few streets of the main highway is this amazing place nestled in the middle of a JUNGLE NEIGHBORHOOD"! Really! I'm not kidding, every home lot is literally carved out of thick jungle! Very quiet, with only the occasional car noise... Wonderful cozy home with fresh flowers and goodies waiting on the counter when you arrive! The spa / hot tub was very nice on cooler evenings after all day hikes, golf, wine tasting, etc! The 180 degree surround deck was wonderful and the better than average gas BBQ was great for steak 'n' Ahi dinner! Beds, pillows, towels, furnishings, kitchen, dishes, appliances were all wonderful too! Downside: very small TV for the large livingroom & no bedroom TV, DVD did not work, so we called the owners, left a message about issue, never heard back!? Not a deal-breaker for us... Wonderful overall experience! GLAD WE FOUND IT!

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Deputy161
Bernadette B, Owner at Ohia Plantation House, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2014

Mahalo for your review and we're glad that you have a wonderful stay. I'm sorry that I did not return your call that evening. I spent the day in Kona and did not return until late that evening. I did check on the DVD player the next morning after your check out. The player has been replaced since then.

Reviewed December 20, 2014

I opened the door and walked around and I think I said WOW about 30 times in 10 minutes! Such attention to detail from the Christmas wreath and décor greeting us outside the door, to the fresh flowers in every room, coffee cake on a cake plate in the kitchen next to the basket filled with fresh local fruit and second basket filled with breakfast supplies like instant oatmeal, pancake mix, and hot chocolate. The pantry had a few basics, like rice, pasta, cooking oil, coffee, and a few spices, and the fridge was stocked with water bottles, butter, and jelly.

The house was immaculate and fully decorated for Christmas. It was so welcoming! There were robes hanging in the closet, plug-in heaters throughout, and a fully stocked linen closet at our disposal. The location was great. It was a quick 8-minute drive to the Park gates, and less to the shops and restaurants of Volcano. We cooked and didn't lack for anything in the kitchen. The hot tub was divine, and the privacy and seclusion were welcome. The reams of firewood were put to good use with a toasty fire both nights we stayed, as it was rainy, foggy, and quite chilly. Definitely bring warm pajamas and a warm sweater and rain coat.

There was a binder full of local information, including directions for the hot tub and washer/dryer, as well as a few local menus and some info on the park, hikes, etc. The owners really put a lot of thoughtfulness into making their home extra welcoming. The only drawbacks I can think of are that it is full of decorations and knick-knacks, and I was thankful that my children were no longer 1-3 years old, as that would have been tough to follow a curious toddler everywhere as he tipped over vases, ripped pages from coffee table books, and tugged at the Christmas wreaths and gorgeous holly berry displays. Also, there are no darkened curtains in the twin bed room, so the kids woke up way before we would have liked them to.

I would recommend the Ohia Plantation House 100%. It's a highlight of all the places I've stayed in my travels! Especially at Christmas or in the winter, when it is oh so cozy!!

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2014

Unfortunately our two night stay in Volcano was non-stop rain & fog, but we had a great time at the Ohia Plantation House. The grounds are stunning, we all took lots of photos of the flowers & plants. Everyone enjoyed the hot tub. Not a thing was missing in the kitchen. We loved the fruit basket, the pancake mix, all the spices and condiments. Loved the pineapple cutter & will look for one to buy around home. The house is damp but the dehumidifier really helped with that but perhaps someone where dampness affects their health may not enjoy Volcano. The beds were so comfortable!!! We even had fires in the fireplace the two evenings. What a treat! Really wished we had more than two night at this house. Very close the VNP and we went each everying hoping for a glance of the red glow but the fog had other ideas. Great fun!

Date of stay: November 2014