“Good good, great view”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

The food is good but the opportunity to have dinner next to an active volcano is the reason to eat here. Unless you are counting the pennies, have dinner here so you can remember the amazing view. It really is worth the significant amount of money.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Reservations were needed. We were seated at a window table and as it got darker out we were able to see the glow. Occasionally throughout our dinner the restaurant would turn down the lights so you’d get a better view.

The food presentation was spot on. The portions were of good size. We enjoyed the dinner.

The staff was friendly and attentive. Was nice for a one time visit.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

This place is very popular so you need to book. We could only get a table early at 5.15 however this works well. The wait staff do not rush you. The food is great. We had pasta and stuffed chicken. The cocktails are also good. The wine menu is extensive and a range of beers. Sun set at 7pm when we were starting desert- so perfect to see lava glow. I would also recommend going up to jaggar museum look out after that.

Reviewed March 31, 2018

If your purpose of being at Volcano is to see the lava, then don't make reservation at 6:30PM like I did.

Being able to see the lava splashes after sunset at Jaggar was the highlight of our trip. I wished I was NOT at the Rim having a beautiful dinner when all I wanted to do was go to the Jaggar to see the lava. The view from the Rim was about 5 compared to Jaggar at 10.

1  Thank dianescalgary
Reviewed March 30, 2018

I had the most fantastic dinner here with my brother and sister-in-law. We arrived at 6:30 pm just before the incredible view out to the caldera got dark enough to put on a rosy glow that captivated us throughout our 2 hour dinner. I had the stuffed chicken which was probably the best chicken that I ever had! My sister-in-law loved the Mahi but my brother was less thrilled with his Ono. I had a superb local garden salad with Hamakua mushrooms. The rolls were delicious ,too. We were pleasantly surprised that there was live music with a Hawaiian crooner! Two negatives: very noisy with families bustling and it took 1/2 hour for my dessert to arrive! However it was fabulous:
coconut, banana cream pie! I think they ran out and had to make a new batch, but it was scrumptious! The restaurant is in the lodge which overlooks the caldera and is a historical treasure. There is a bar and two well stocked gift shops. Definitely worth a return trip! Oh, we also had the breakfast buffet the next morning. Again the view was a highlight. The made to order omelet was delicious as were the little muffins with tropical flavored butter. Apple wood smoked bacon and Portuguese sausage were also good. The fruit platter was a disappointment, but the glass of fruit juice was delicious! All in all great food with an out of this world view!