We used a RCI timeshare exchange to book a 2 bedroom suite at The Bay Club for a week. The unit is huge!!! We love the full kitchen, walk-in closet, two bedrooms with huge separate bathrooms and the pull-out couch. The unit is fully stocked with dishes, plates, forks, spoons, and knives and has two sets of the basic starter toiletries you'd expect from a hotel (soap, lotion, shampoo) as well as a small dishwashing liquid and one packet of laundry detergent. There were also extra sheets in the closet for the pull-out sofa bed. It is also nice having a small washer and dryer in the unit. It is very quiet on the bottom floor of building 2, so that is great. It is also very easy to find parking (which is free). Our key cards never work in opening the gates, though, so we have had to call the front desk every single time we want to enter the parking lot, but that is only a very minor inconvenience. The other drawback is that housekeeping only comes once a week, so you are responsible for keeping your unit clean in the meantime. Staff seems friendly enough but you will get the sales pitch for the timeshare if you aren't already an owner.
The food selection at the cafe is limited and the service is s-l-o-w, but the portions are generous and the food tastes OK. The pools and jacuzzi were not crowded at all, and we love the fact that there are a number of activities available on the property if you are not looking to leave. They offer a free ice cream social, ukulele lessons, feather lei lessons (paid), keiki hula, and a shuttle to the other Hilton property. We took the petroglyph tour and it was a lot of fun for our kids. The free shuttle runs every 30 min. to 10pm to the nearby shops and the other Hilton properties, so it is convenient if you don't want to drive or if you don't have a car. The nearby restaurants are mostly expensive and it is moderately close to Kona.
Would we stay here again? Perhaps. It is a nice property but the simple fact of the matter is that most of the activities on the island are in Kona proper or Hilo/Volcano area and Waikoloa is a 30 or so minute drive to Kona and a 2 hour drive to Hilo so you rack up more miles staying in Waikoloa than staying in Kona proper. So if you want to minimize your drive time on the Big Island, I would recommend that you stay in Kona instead; there are other properties near Ali'i Drive that will not put a substantial dent in your pocketbook that will allow you closer proximity to interesting activities. If you have flexibility in your travel plans I would also recommend spending part of your stay on the Hilo side for closer proximity to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park/Kilauea Volcano so you can make the most of your vacation instead of spending a lot of time driving.
Short version: Great property with activities onsite and convenient shuttle to shopping center and restaurants, but -1.5 stars for distance from majority of activities in Kona and infrequent housekeeping; 3.5 stars total but I'll round up to 4 since TA doesn't allow half stars. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort is a spectacular hotel on the Big Island of Hawaii and is designed to be an ideal Hawaiian haven in the heart of Waikoloa. Superbly situated adjacent to championship golf courses, the premier location of the Bay Club resort provides an unsurpassed vacation setting. Hawaii visitors staying at the Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort will enjoy spacious one- and two-bedroom suites which incorporate a casually elegant tropical style and feature a superb variety of upscale amenities and furnishings. The suites offer all of the convenience of home including separate living and dining areas, a fully-equipped kitchen, washer and dryer and private lanai. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hilton Hotels Direct and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Bay Club At Waikoloa Beach Hotel Waikoloa
- Bay Club Waikoloa Beach Resort
- The Bay Club At Waikoloa Beach Resort Hawaii