“Super fun and Easy!”

Kauai Backcountry Adventures
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hanamaulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Our one-of-a-kind Kauai activities include tubing down an old sugar plantation irrigation system, through open canals and several tunnels hand-dug circa 1870. Or you can soar through the air on our 7-line zipline course, traversing the side of a mountain down to a lush bamboo grove. Through it all you will learn about our island’s history, culture and natural environment. Come join us and take home memories for a lifetime!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

This was the first thing we did in Kauai, and I am so glad we did it! We got into Kauai at 1am, so we were tired the first day. We arrived for the tube adventure and were met by really nice people who gave us everything we needed (helmet with headlamp and gloves). We had a 30 minute van ride up the mountain to the entry point. Along the way, Maka had us all introduce ourselves and helped us get to know each other, the staff, and Kauai. Then we got into the water and into our tubes for a fun and relaxing adventure. This is not strenuous at all. You literally float for a couple hours, through some tunnels and some seriously beautiful landscape. If you get claustrophobic, steer clear. This is not for you. One of the tunnels is 3/4 mile long. There was a very young girl who cried a bit. Maka took charge of her and got her through the tour with apparent little difficulty. You get sandwiches, chips and cookies after the float and then an open air truck ride back to their shop—the ride is kind of amazing. We REALLY enjoyed this excursion. Michael was one of our guides, and he shared a lot of info about Kauai that we enjoyed. I definitely recommend this to anyone who doesn’t have claustrophobia.

Date of experience: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (8,138)
All reviews
in 134 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 145 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I don’t know what it was about this tour, but I absolutely positively LOVED it. Not only were the guides friendly and knowledgeable, but the beauty while floating along those canals was unmatched. It’s almost like you are looking through a special lens that shows every shade of green possible. And the adventure part of going through the dark canals was so so cool. Think pirates of the Caribbean but real - even Walt Disney himself could not create such a cool ride. Great for all ages. Only downside is the water temp, but you quickly get over it. I will 100% do this tour again.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I heard about this experience through a friend. I was pretty excited about doing this event. The tubing is great. You are physically in the water for about an hour. You tube through irrigation channels that were hand dug for a sugar plantation that is no longer farming sugar. You go through these tunnels. I did this event solo. The tour guides Halem and RJ were fantastic. RJ is super funny and Halem wa great too. The reason I rated it 4 stars is because I was only in Kauai for 4 nights. I would have rather gone to the beach or done a water activity as opposed to this since my time was limited. I would have saved this for another time. But it is a great tour. They have someone who takes pictures along the way from the shore and you can buy them after. There is also a lunch which was pita bread with turkey and salami along with chips and water. I definitely recommend this event but would have reserved it for my next visit!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

What a top notch tour company. KBA is staffed with some amazing and fun individuals. They also do some pretty unique tours. The tunnel tubing adventure is great. You are driven into the backcountry to a private area and dropped off to the irrigation canals to start your trip. The water is clean and refreshing (never say cold). You then enjoy a leisurely float trip through the jungle and several dark tunnels. Just lots of fun with a great staff and company.

Date of experience: November 2017