“Not all it seemed”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Colorado
“Not all it seemed”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

To start our stay, the front desk woman advised us that she would try to get us an early check in. We walked around the neighboring Coconut Market for a couple hours and didn't hear from her. We went back to the desk and she was helping a woman who did not have a reservation. She got her a room and checked her into it early (at this point it was about 2:00 and check-in is at 3). She then acted like she had no idea who we were, but told us our room was not ready. We ended up getting our room a little after 3. It turned out the the lady without a reservation was in the room right next to us.

The rooms here are old and run down. We had two small double beds, so we couldn't even sleep together. The beds are very hard and we woke up sore every morning (we are in our 40s!) The A/C unit was old and noisy. It is in the bedroom with a vent cut into the livingroom. There is no access to a beach unless you drive a couple miles. There are 3 very small pools that we didn't use, but they looked clean. The best thing about this place is the Coconut Market next door. We walked through the shops, bought souvenirs and ate there several times. The Fish Hut was awesome for inexpensive fish and chips.

8 Thank cologiggs
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear cologiggs, I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations. Our number one goal at Plantation Hale is to take care of our guests. As you can see by the reviews, our guests love the staff, and location. At check in we were simply trying to honor your requests for an early arrival, and an upgrade to a King bed with a scenic view. We did try however February is the height of season. The guest that was checked in prior to you is an owner, we were only issuing a key to her suite. The unit she owns is not in our rental pool. In Hawaii, all beaches are public, the resort is only 100 yards from Waipouli Beach, it is very visible and accessible. There is a walkway along the beach in either direction that is quite beautiful. I do agree some of our AC units are noisy, we are replacing several units per month. We do hope you will return as a guest. Mahalo for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I loved the hotel marvelous location across from the beach. Their staff was so friendly that I felt warmly and truly welcome. I was also amazed by the huge suites with full kitchens very impressive, I felt right at home.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Enrique A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed here in February 2012.

The rooms are spacious and reasonably well-appointed, with two televisions (one for the lounge and one for the bedroom) with 38 channels including Nikolodeon and Disney for children.

The lounge/dining area was large with a three-seat sofa, armchair and a table with two chairs.

The bathroom is large with plenty of bench space. The shower is very hot and has moderate pressure.

The bedroom was also large with plenty of drawers and hanging space. The beds are comfortable though the sheets, which are not fitted sheets, seem to come out of place easily, bunching up here and there. The mattress was moderate in firmness and the pillows are on the soft side. In my room there were two double size beds, each with two pillows.

The kitchen was a bit of a let-down. We could not find any kettle or any saucepan! I am sure these would be made available on request but I just used my camping equipment. The stove top and oven are positively ancient (dates to around 30 years ago, like many aspects of the room). I only used the stove-top so I cannot vouch for the oven but the stove-top generated a lot of heat fairly fast (for an electric). My main complaint about the kitchen would really be the lack of basic saucepan and kettle.

The location is good and bad. It is outside downtown Lihue and furthermore downtown Lihue is not walking distance unless you have a lot of time. The Coconut Village is just across the road though and there are various shops, bars and eateries there -including the Fish Hut which is sensational. About 15 minutes walk away are two supermarkets, one whole-foods type food store, two or three drug stores and McDonalds, plus one 'ABC Store' (these stores are variety stores and sell, among other things, souvenirs, liquor, hats, T-shirts). At any rate I highly recommend renting a car on Kauai, since public transport is fairly limited.

The customer service is OK although I was puzzled as to why their tourist information desk does not stock the official map and travel guide of Kauai, especially given that the information bureau is a decent 10 to 15 minute drive away in downtown Lihue. Essentially their tourist information is just a booking agent: for example, the staff member I dealt with had literally no knowledge of the Kalalau trail. Also, the staff member was puzzled when I asked for a map of downtown Lihue! Indeed, the tourist information at this resort didn't have a map of Lihue! Given that Lihue is a proper town (i.e. many streets!) I was very surprised by how put out the staff member was that I might want a map. I recommend just going to the visitor information bureau in town: they have a wealth of information including information on the Kalalau trail. Also, the staff there seem more in tune with what independent travelers need to know.

Finally, I am sad to say that although I thought this resort was lovely and good value, I could not recommend this resort to a friend due to the very strong smell of cigarette smoke in my room. I tried leaving the doors open and using the air-conditioner, but I came to realize that the smell was in the furnishings: the couches, the curtains, the cupboards. I hadn't gotten asthma for twenty years but I had to go out to buy Ventolin after my first night here. I wondered if I had been put in a smoking room by mistake but when I asked at reception they said all rooms are non-smoking. But the rooms are at least 30 years old and I think they still smell from the days of smoking in hotel rooms. I am a pretty chilled out traveller and I was in south America for a year but even in Argentina, where very many people smoke, I never had this problem! So I think the resort should consider investing in new curtains etc, as the smell is definitely in the furnishings. But if you are not too sensitive to the smell of stale cigarette smoke don't worry about it, the rooms are lovely and clean and the resort is great value!

I hope this information helps you and happy traveling!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Maddy1982
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Maddy 1982. Thank you for your comments. We take all constructive criticism seriously. It helps us do a better job. I sincerely apologize that we dropped the ball on some very simple service issues. We just recently made the resort 100% non-smoking, and have been going through each suite that was previously a smoking unit to convert them to non-smoking. Would you please let me know the unit you were in so I can inspect it personally? My email address is Jdouponce@olshotels.com. Your kitchen should have been fully stocked. I will share your comments with the appropriate departments. You will be happy to know as a result of your feedback we will focus on cross training our staff with the Concierge and Activities Desk. I am pleased you you felt the resort was a good value. I do hope you will return. We very much appreciate your patronage. Mahalo.
Hadleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here for 11 nights in February. We were really impessed with the room, it had a seperate bedroom and a full kitchen which was very convenient. It also had a living room with comfy sofa and flat screen TV. The room had everything and more that you could require when on vacation (in fact some of the suites seemed to have permanent residences). There are also 3 pools and loungers for guests to use (but be warned the temperature of the pools is extremely cold). Hotel is in a great location in the middle of the east coast so within easy driving distances of the main beaches. There are also 2 supermarkets and many restaurants minutes away.
So why not give the place 5 stars ? - this was due to the standard of cleaning, the staff were very friendly but only did a surface 5 min clean each day. On arrival there was opened food left from the previous guests and crumbs all over the cupboards. Also the airconditioning unit belted out dirt onto the side table and this was never cleaned up in 11 days. The whole kitchen area could have done with a really deep clean (the gap between the refrigerator and the units was pretty unsavory). However this did not ruin our holiday and was only a small point.
The management were excellent as on the first day we had a problem with our neighbours (who owned their suite) waking us up by renovating and drilling behind our heads at 7.30am. This was sorted out very satisfactoraly and we did not have a repeat of this again.

6 Thank ruthfa
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear ruthfa, Aloha, thank you for your wonderful remarks which I have shared with our team. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I too feel we offer a terrific location, and most important a caring staff. I do remember you, and the unit you were in. I am going to inspect the kitchen area personally. That is certainly not up to our usual standards. I assure you we welcome all guest feedback, as it helps us to get better. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Mahalo for your business...Sincerely, John Douponce.
Colorado
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I want to thank the staff for the hospitality and welcome we had. The food was fantastic and they were able to accommodate all of our changes on short notice - something not normal. Especially i want to say that the staff from the front desk, bell men and concierge for making all our stay so perfect. Definitly will stay here when we come back next month.

4 Thank Greg E
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Friendly, helpfull staff, spacious room, comfortable bed. Centrally located. I will definately stay here again on my next Kauai trip!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank teresa c
Philadelphia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The hotel is in Kapa'a; which is a great place to stay on the island, since its about halfway between the north shore and south shore. It is also within a five-minute drive to restaurants, stores, and all kinds of entertainment. The hotel is very nice and the apartments are pretty big. We had a large living/dining area with an attached kitchen, a good-sized bedroom, and a big lanai that stretched from the bedroom to the living room. Our unit faced the courtyard with the pool, but I was actually glad about this because it didn't seem like you could see very much of the ocean from the ocean view rooms; and really ocean-view meant that you were also facing the parking lot and street (much closer than the ocean). The beach is pretty small and too rocky to go swimming, plus you have to walk across a giant field. However, we went to the beach for sunset and sunrise and it was very nice with lots of driftwood to sit on. The sunrise looks amazing with all the palm trees in the background.
One concern we had before we arrived was that there was a street we had to cross to get to the beach, however, the street is more of an access road for hotel guests and not very busy; so it ended up not being a problem. The one thing I personally did not like was that there was no dishwasher and the dishes and utensils had some crusted food on them. We washed them again, so no big deal, but it was still pretty gross. So if you are a germaphobe, bring plastic utensils and paper plates and cups. Something else of note - the beds are pretty small, I suppose they were full-sized, but they seemed smaller. One of us was constantly falling out. There was a laundry room that closed at 10 pm. I don't remember exactly, but think it was $1.00 or $1.25 for the washers and dryers.

Overall, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. It's a beautiful area and super convenient.

Room Tip: Choose the pool view - Ocean view earns you a view of the parking lot - with the ocean in the distan...