“Everything we expected and more” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waipouli Beach Resort

Waipouli Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Anchorage, Alaska
“Everything we expected and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Our family traveled to Kauai at the end of February for 1 week. I had read the many tripadvisor reviews and was definitely trying not to get my hopes up in case they were inflated. Let me just say that I was so definitely surprised at just how great this place is.

Unit: Beautiful. We had a 2 bedroom oceanfront unit in the H building, with a view of the pool and the ocean. It was just perfect. Our unit wasn't ready until 3pm. We had checked in around 1pm, ate lunch and received a call that our room was ready - super easy. The only small complaint is that the unit wasn't totally as clean as I'd expect, and that is again the only thing that I thought was lacking due to finding the sinks dirty in one of the bathrooms when we arrived. I think this is minor in the scope of the rest of our experience here.

The appliances are top of the line, the finishes are lovely. I loved having a washer/dryer in the unit. Bring detergent tabs for an HE unit. There are BBQ grills located outside, very easy to get to. A nice addition.

Beds: Master bedrooms had really great beds, the sofa bed where my sons slept was a bit wanting. You could feel all the springs, and I think an adult would be unhappy on this bed, but my children were small and it was fine for them.

Staff: The checkin staff was very pleasant, lots of aloha spirit and courtesy. Each call we made to the front desk was answered promptly. I appreciated the 2 calls to let us know our room was ready, since the first call to my dead cell phone was unanswered:).

Pool: Amazing, amazing ! With a family of varied ages of children this was our key concern. Not too cold, as I had read previously, we thought it was great. There was a family hot tub that was moderate in temp. and 2 adult only hot tubs that were quite a bit warmer for soaking. The sandy bottom in the kids pool, and the hot tubs was pretty cool..You are only allowed to exchange towels once a day, and you do have to sign for them. As long as you know this ahead of time I don't think it's an issue.

Grounds: I thought they were well maintained, of the 7 days only 1 was filled with any sound of mowing, trimming etc. Not excessive number of staff, but everyone seemed pleasant.

On site dining: We only ate dessert at the restaurant one night, and it was just average. I would skip it and dine elsewhere.

Beach: There is a small beach out front, that's not great for swimming, but lovely for playing in the sand and water, or building sand castles. There were alot of early birds watching the sunrise, sitting in a pool chair ( a small stack next to the beach makes it easy to pull one to a spot for sunrise watching or sunbathing). It was not a snorkel or surfing beach, but great for just lounging/walking.

This was truly an amazing value. When we return to Kauai, or have friends visit I won't hesitate to recommend it as one of the nicest places we've stayed. I hope it doesn't get too busy!!

Room Tip: H building was beautiful. A bottom floor room allowed us to walk a few steps to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank AKFamTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

My family and I traveled to Kauai in June of 2010 and split our time between East and South. We stayed at this resort for the first 5 days of our 14 day vacation. This Condo was lived up to everything I read on TA. Spot on. We had a two bedroom condo, full kitchen, living room,washer/dryer and ocean front. These condos are very clean and affordable and highly recommend them. The pool is very nice, but cold :( The ocean on this property is beautiful with a lot of creatures in the rocky shoreline. "don't turn your back to the ocean" This beach is nice to sit at and watch the waves roll in, however, you cannot swim at this beach. The restaurant on site was open part of the time, not sure of hours now. Did not eat at the restaurant but had frozen smoothies. mmmgood. Shopping across the street was very convienient.

I have two negatives about this resort,1) you can only have one pool towel per person per day. You are not allowed to have another towel until you turn in the one you have. I like to have at least two, one to sit on and one to dry off. 2) the pool is too cold.

I recommend ocean front for the best views.

Room Tip: any ocean front room will be perfect. Be sure you know whether you have a "hotel room" or...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank djbPennsyvania
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

From the moment we got there until the moment we left we were very well taken care of. The rooms were impeccable. The pool and hot tubs were clean and relaxing. There's a small bar/restaurant just off the beach that provides an amazing view which is even better during whale season. The hotel is situated in te perfect spot for people who plan on driving to see the entire island. Waimea Canyon is a little less than an hour west and Princeville is roughly the same distance to the north.
Many of the rooms have kitchenettes which is great for families. Plus, there's a 24hr grocery store directly across the street.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Nateinusaf
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

You can't ask for a better area, pool, and beautiful property. It has a wonderful open and welcomed atmosphere. I would stay in a condo on my next visit and choose the even number rooms for that great view. We stayed at one of their small 6 hotel rooms. The room is beautiful, but POORLY designed. The refrigerator in the room is poorly lit. The bathroom has no counter to place ANY bathroom products. The hair dryer hangs on the floor. Your bathroom products have to be stored in closet or a small desk in room. There is no privacy between toilet and shower. You have no access to ice for your room as well, or the staff did not know where to get ice. Either way, choose the condo! PS If you have a Mac, you will have problems getting your free wifi.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The title says it all. This hotel provides good value in particular if you have a family of 6 which can fit into one condo unit. The fact that Safeway is a walk across the street makes it easy to save even more by preparing the food in the condo which has excellent equipment in the kitchens.

The beach is un-attractive and not a place to swim. the nearest beach is a car ride away. In fact, almost anything you want to do is a drive away. Most activities are located to the south and the nicest beaches to the north, so we found ourselves driving at least 30 minutes away every day. Next time in Kauai we may split the time between the Hanalei area and Poipu.

We took one of the smaller condos, with one bedroom. The pullout sofa in the living room is your traditional spring-based, slim mattress bed that was not comfortable.

We paid extra for the "ocean view." The view was just about the minimum you can get away with calling it ocean view, but it was not really a "nice ocean view", just the view of the ocean across the other buildings of the hotel. At least that got us away from the units that face the street.

One thing that annoyed me was the fact that there is not enough hot water available to fill the bath tub. They put these huge two-person tubs in the master bathroom, but the hot water tank did not supply enough water to fill it.

Finally, what annoyed me the most is the extremely aggressive A/C controller. It would reset the A/C to 74 degrees all the time. Whenever you opened a window or door, whenever it thought there is no one in, even when we were in. Sometimes in the middle of the night. It end up being forcefully set at 74 degrees most of the time whether you like it or not. I understand the desire and need to save energy, but if you offer A/C let me control its temperature. It is ok to switch it off automatically if I leave the room or open the window, but when I am there let me control the temperature.

One final thing I had forgotten, twice in a week housekeeping took the dirty towels and did not bring new ones. We had to call for them.

By the way, the Oasis restaurant is excellent.

Room Tip: Do not face the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank adar
Kenora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger in Kauai Feb 19th - 26th and loved it. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and the two bedroom condo was amazing. Housekeeping made sure we always had everything we needed and the front desk was always friendly and helpful. The location is perfect. We walked for breakfast and supper almost every night. If you snorkel, make sure you head to Po'pui beach. While we were there, we saw whales playing and monk seals came up onto the shore for a nap. If you want a great meal, try out the Wahpoo restaurant in Kapaa. The presentation and service were outstanding. Make sure you take the time to drive to the north and south shores. If heading south, stop and get a Kaula pig sandwhich in Kaola. Delicious. K-Mart is your best bet if you want to pick up some island gifts to take home. Cheap. Decent t-shirts for adults were only 3.99. Make sure you stop at the farmers markets to pick up fresh fruit and produce. Reasonably priced and delicious. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KenoraDiva
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We enjoyed the layout and easy atmosphere here. Having arrived from Honolulu, it was a treat to be in a more laid back resort. There is a great market right across the street so you can stock up. We had two rooms, one with water views and one back in the main building with a view of the pool. Both were excellent, roomy, clean, modern and comfortable. The pool is great and needs to be as the beach is not that great for swimming. You have to know that many beaches in Hawaii have reefs in close and you have to navigate these rocks. When the surf is down or at low tide, you can snorkel between the inner and outer reefs but avoid high surf days. I did some flyfishing right off the beach but only hooked a few trumpet fish. The Oasis Restaurant on site was disappointing. Long wait and very mediocre food. We planned daily trips around the island with high lights being the Heli tour, tuna fishing and watching whales from the cliffs at Princeville. Be sure to visit the Lighthouse and Annini Beach.

Room Tip: You probably don't want a parking lot view so those facing the water will be your 1st choice.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,203 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waipouli Beach Resort? Share your experiences!