“Awesome day”
Review of Na Pali Makai

Na Pali Makai
Ranked #9 of 16 things to do in Kekaha
Reviewed June 25, 2016

My family with two kids (8 and 10) had a fantastic tour with Captain Makai.

We shared the tour with a really great couple from Germany who we met up during the tour.

Captain Makai is chilled out Hawaiian style and makes you feel totally at home. He called us the previous evening to let us know that we would start an hour late as it was raining the previous night. This was perfectly fine with us as it gave us an extra hour of sleep. We were there at the harbor at 8.30am and he showed up and ran us through our instructions. We leisurerly made our way around to the Napali coast.

He kept a very nice commentary going - pointing out local facts and maneuvered the boat really well to avoid a bumpy ride. I was a bit worried about my wife getting sea-sick but he just did a great job. In the end, I was glad we paid extra and did not take the catamaran with our kids. I am sure the catamarans on the inflatables are faster but definitely a bumpier ride and spray which I wasn't sure my kids would have enjoyed.

We came across a pod of spinner dolphins about 15 of them. We slowed down and spent about 15 minutes coasting with them and taking pictures. After that we reached the open sea cave which I was really looking forward to. Captain Makai took us inside and I knew I had made the right decision as there were a few big sailboats that couldnt' make it inside. My advice is that if you want a leisurely and private tour that takes you into the open sea cave - definitely go with Makai or a boat of his size. Worth the price.

We also backed into another cave which was pretty cool and scooted under a small waterfall. Pretty cool.

After that we stopped for lunch and snorkeling. The snorkeling is ok here compared to what we did in Big Island previously. Having said that, Capt Makai had everything we needed including anti fog for the masks. He had packed vegetarian sandwiches for us on request and that was great.

We then reluctantly made our way back after a fantastic 3-4 hours. Definitely a highlight of our trip.

Tips:
1. Especially with kids, use the restrooms before you go, there are no stops on the way.
2. Bring towels from your hotel. Also, if you get cold easy, bring change of clothing and a light hoodie or jacket. We had a really warm day but on the way back after snorkeling, did need towels around us.
3. Take your camera with you and if it's not waterproof take a Ziploc bag. The boat has a dry cabinet to keep your bags and other things dry if you need to put them somewhere from the spray.
4. If your kids like jumping into the water - they can jump from the shade on top of the boat.
5. Stop at Jojo's shaved ice on the way back from the harbor if you are heading east.

3  Thank apak
in 14 reviews
"air"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed March 19, 2016

Captain Makai mostly does trips in the summer as his boat is smaller and less suitable for rough seas. So it took some coordination to get a right weather in March. But it was worth it. Having a boat for ourselves made all the difference. There are plenty of larger catamarans and Zodiac boats which pack 20-30 people but very few which take 6-8 people. Difference - we were enjoying dolphins while people on the larger boats had to elbow each other to get a view. When we wanted to spend more time with turtles and dolphins rather than going down the coast (we saw it prior day via helicopter tour) we could change it right on the spot. Captain was great and very kid friendly. Highly recommended. For the reference we are family of 6 with 15,13,8 and 7 years olds

2  Thank yshmul
Reviewed November 9, 2015

Makai was an excellent guide, host and captain -- we were blessed with a rare day of moderate ocean conditions, sun and terrific sights! Swam with spinner dolphins, saw many interesting sights and enjoyed the history of this beautiful area courtesy of our guide who grew up here. I can't encourage this trip more -- a must do if the weather permits!!

Reviewed September 15, 2015

We found Captain Makai through reviews from tripadvisor and decided to book a private charter for my husband and I. We have done the Napali Coast on a raft the year before but we wanted to go back again and spend more time doing what we wanted to do! WE ABSOLUTELY HAD A GREAT TIME! The service was great, perfect food for a sea trip, he was knowledgable, and very accomodating in what we wanted to do ( we did everything we wanted), and most importantly we felt safe. The whole trip was set on the pace we liked and he was very knowledgable. Napali Coast by sea is a must and I would only recommend it with Captain Makai from now on.

2  Thank Hess84
See more reviews
Reviewed September 6, 2015 via mobile

My partner and I were keen to get up close and personal with the Na Pali coast so we searched for a small boat charter just for us
Na Pali Makai were awesome. Despite getting ready to close for the season they agreed to take us out for a day along the coast It was incredible.
We came upon a pod of 100 plus dolphins and we jumped in the water to have them swim all around us
Captain Makai was great. Very informative and a really nice guy if a bit shy. He made the trip great. He maneuvered the boat into numerous sea caves, positioned the boat under a waterfall so we got a freshwater shower while floating in the sea and anchored off a small beach where we were able to explore and discovered a brisk waterfall we splashed around in
The best thing was watching the big ships with 30 to 50 people sail by because they were all too big to go where our craft could the private charter was worth every penny
It was an amazing day and I would really recommend using Na Pali Makai for a great day out

1  Thank donojames