“Best Na Pali Cruise EVER!”
Review of Na Pali Makai

Na Pali Makai
Ranked #6 of 14 things to do in Kekaha
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

We have cruised the Na Pali coast 6 times now. Big boats, zodiac rubber rafts, snorkel catamarans, sunset cruises, etc. This is BY FAR the best cruise! Small boat that can hug the coast and Captain Makai catered to whatever we wanted to do.
It was too rough to go into the sea cave, but he got right up next to it, unlike any other boat we saw.
He stopped when we got to pods of bottle nose and then spinner dolphins and let us get great pictures.
There were only 3 of us, including my 80 year old mother, who just had her birthday, Happy Birthday Mom! She loved it. It had a canopy so she didn't get sunburned and we could sit up front in the sun.
Great lunch provided, including chocolate from Makai's family farm. Delicious, so creamy!
The cruise is worth every penny. Get the cruise you want, how you want it, with just your group.
So much better than all the other trips we have done. Although they were all good (well, we didn't like the return trip on the zodiac!), this was perfect. Our trip, just for us.
Thanks Makai.

in 15 reviews
"hawaii"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 31 October 2016

I set up a private charter with Captain Makai to see the Na Pali Coast at sunset. We were able to charter his new catamaran. We happen to be there on the tail end of hurricane Madelaine and Lester. The water was a little rough, but the scenery was so beautiful and being with my boyfriend and best friends made the experience priceless. Little did I know, my boyfriend had planned a surprise. He proposed me while out on our sunset cruise. Captain Makai was so gracious and helped to facilitate the proposal. It will be a memory that will last forever... Captain Makai was very accommodating and was even understanding when I dropped a bag of cheetos on the deck
Mahalo Captain Makai!

Reviewed 6 September 2016

Great experience with 2 adults and 4 kids. Was a little worried about the ride being rough but the boat (and Captain) handled it well.

Captain Makai was great, very accommodating and had a good history of what we were doing. At one point we went to the main snorkeling area where all the other boats were. Makai thought it too choppy and water not clear enough so he took us to a secluded area with no other boats. We saw plenty of fish and turtles.

Oh, and his sandwiches were top notch.

So glad we didn't do the catamaran with 50 other people, this was worth the extra $$$.

Reviewed 25 June 2016

My family with two kids (8 and 10) had a fantastic tour with Captain Makai.

We shared the tour with a really great couple from Germany who we met up during the tour.

Captain Makai is chilled out Hawaiian style and makes you feel totally at home. He called us the previous evening to let us know that we would start an hour late as it was raining the previous night. This was perfectly fine with us as it gave us an extra hour of sleep. We were there at the harbor at 8.30am and he showed up and ran us through our instructions. We leisurerly made our way around to the Napali coast.

He kept a very nice commentary going - pointing out local facts and maneuvered the boat really well to avoid a bumpy ride. I was a bit worried about my wife getting sea-sick but he just did a great job. In the end, I was glad we paid extra and did not take the catamaran with our kids. I am sure the catamarans on the inflatables are faster but definitely a bumpier ride and spray which I wasn't sure my kids would have enjoyed.

We came across a pod of spinner dolphins about 15 of them. We slowed down and spent about 15 minutes coasting with them and taking pictures. After that we reached the open sea cave which I was really looking forward to. Captain Makai took us inside and I knew I had made the right decision as there were a few big sailboats that couldnt' make it inside. My advice is that if you want a leisurely and private tour that takes you into the open sea cave - definitely go with Makai or a boat of his size. Worth the price.

We also backed into another cave which was pretty cool and scooted under a small waterfall. Pretty cool.

After that we stopped for lunch and snorkeling. The snorkeling is ok here compared to what we did in Big Island previously. Having said that, Capt Makai had everything we needed including anti fog for the masks. He had packed vegetarian sandwiches for us on request and that was great.

We then reluctantly made our way back after a fantastic 3-4 hours. Definitely a highlight of our trip.

Tips:
1. Especially with kids, use the restrooms before you go, there are no stops on the way.
2. Bring towels from your hotel. Also, if you get cold easy, bring change of clothing and a light hoodie or jacket. We had a really warm day but on the way back after snorkeling, did need towels around us.
3. Take your camera with you and if it's not waterproof take a Ziploc bag. The boat has a dry cabinet to keep your bags and other things dry if you need to put them somewhere from the spray.
4. If your kids like jumping into the water - they can jump from the shade on top of the boat.
5. Stop at Jojo's shaved ice on the way back from the harbor if you are heading east.

2  Thank apak
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2016

Captain Makai mostly does trips in the summer as his boat is smaller and less suitable for rough seas. So it took some coordination to get a right weather in March. But it was worth it. Having a boat for ourselves made all the difference. There are plenty of larger catamarans and Zodiac boats which pack 20-30 people but very few which take 6-8 people. Difference - we were enjoying dolphins while people on the larger boats had to elbow each other to get a view. When we wanted to spend more time with turtles and dolphins rather than going down the coast (we saw it prior day via helicopter tour) we could change it right on the spot. Captain was great and very kid friendly. Highly recommended. For the reference we are family of 6 with 15,13,8 and 7 years olds

2  Thank yshmul