We loved our time at North Country! With any vacation rental, you never can quite tell from the pictures what you are getting. In this case, the cottage was definitely more wonderful in person, and the pictures don't do it justice! The garden cottage was perfectly laid out and designed, making great use of the space. It is all beautiful wood, which means its both cool and easy to keep clean (unlike many other places on the island, where things like carpet are hard to keep clean with so much humidity). The cottage had a wonderful feel-- clean and warm and beautiful!
The things we particularly enjoyed -
- We loved picking stuff from the farm. We picked lettuce, kale, beets, radishes, cilantro, oranges, grapefruit, pomelos, and avocados. Lee also gave us some fresh eggs when we asked, after noticing the chicken coops! She also happily pointed out what was in season in the fields and orchard and where the ladder and picker were for the citrus.
- Kitchen had everything we wanted, including coffee maker, tea pot, blender, hand juicer (for all the fresh citrus that was in season), etc.
- Furniture was clean and nice (unlike some other places around island, where it can be old/uncomfortable/musty/etc....)
- There's a fun outdoor shower that we enjoyed using!
- The porch is large and totally covered, with a table and chairs. Perfect for times when rain came through, and we could sit on the porch and enjoy!
- Everything you want for the beach is there -- beach towels, beach mats, chairs, umbrellas, etc.
- There's all kinds of pleasant touches. The binder includes great info (we loved the yoga schedule, which we took advantage of!). There's also books, DVDs, a desk, a good amount of welcome basket food, etc.
We couldn't speak more highly of the property! We enjoy privacy, seclusion, fresh produce, having a kitchen (to do our own cooking), and having a cottage. We wanted to spend time at the cottage, rather than feeling like it was just a place we went to sleep (like many hotels).
You might not enjoy this property if you are looking for hotel-like amenities (i.e. housekeeping, "activities", etc). If you like a well-appointed cottage and being more immersed in nature, this is for you. We are already planning our return trip!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Organic family farm with farm stay cottage in rural setting on lush north shore of kauai with easy access to beaches, restaurants and shops. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- North Country Farms Kauai/Kilauea, HI