“Beautiful”

Castle Kaha Lani
Yucca Valley, California, United States
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

First time and everything could have not been more perfect. The front desk personnel were friendly and we loved April. They gave us suggestions on what to see and do. Everyone was so nice. The grounds were kept up nice, lots of flowers and a VERY short walk to the beach. Great walking path, great walking beach, lots of little things to see. The location was great right in the middle from West to East. Condo was so nice looking over the ocean with a million dollar view, I hope we can come back someday.

Room Tip: If you are not into the big resorts this is the place to stay. Top floors with the Oceanfront View a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dena S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I'm a travel X-Ray tech so my company rented my unit for 2 months. Theres no wireless Internet, I was told I would have to buy my own router if I want wireless. The condo was dirty, I had to clean it from top to bottom. They don't have AC in any of the units! It cost $3 to wash and dry 1 load of clothes. Upon my second trip to the laundry room, a lady from the front office followed me and asked me if I was one of the MAIDS that worked on the property. I told her NO, IM A RESIDENT. She asked which apt was I staying in, I replied. Then she asked me,"Well, when did that change?" As if I was lying to her. I told her that's her job to keep up with that information, not mine. Then she asked,"Well how many of you are there?" At this moment I'm getting upset because now I know where this convo is going. I asked her why was she asking me all these questions. She responded,"Because your a new face." Isnt this a resort where new people are in and out every week? Does she interrogate every customer like this because their a "new face"? I was so offended! Then i believe the apt I was staying in to be HAUNTED! Twice, I felt something messing with me while I was in bed! I asked them about it and they say they've never heard anything like that before, but when I talk to locals in the area they say this place is the most haunted area on the island. So I moved out to stay with a co-worker. My travel company tried to get reimbursed for the ime I didn't stay there for fear of my safety and the owners refused to refund the payment. It was a HORRIBLE experience all the way around at the resort!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Dafisher
Bethesda
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Let me be brief: for the money (around $150/night for a 2-br apartment), this must be one of the best deals in Kauai. The property is well maintained and clean. Full kitchen in each condo; nice small pool and two gas grills are available outside. Most visitors appeared to be aged 30-50, so it was neither a party place nor an old couples' resort. Just nice and peaceful.

It's a nice oceanview location with great views; however, the beach in front of the property is not swimmable (due to a very rocky bottom and high waves). But as everywhere in Kauai, some other great beach is only a few minutes away, so I did not feel it was an issue. Overall - yes, I would come again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank summit3000
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed in unit 226, it had a magnificent view. Everything we needed was there. We thought the location was excellent as we had other family in town at the Marriott for a wedding. There was no need for air conditioning as the trade winds provided more than needed air flow. The beach in front was not swimmable, but not an issue since we were able to swim other places. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: You do not need air conditioning, great trade winds.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kennan, WI
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I was a little worried when I read some other reviews but was very happy with what I found when we arrived. My husband and I spent six nights at Kaha Lani. We were in unit 113. It's off the main road and isolated from any other hotels/condos which I liked. It provided a fabulous view of the ocean and a great breeze coming in through the patio doors. It was advertised as a 1 bedroom/1 bath unit but in fact it had 1½ baths which was great. We were very comfortable there. It was clean, very charmingly decorated. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, pots, pans and utensils. It had a toaster, coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal. I appreciated that the complex provided a garbage can for recyclables and changed the towels only every four days in an effort to be more green. You could request additional towels if you wanted. There is onsite laundry for $1.50 to wash a load and also $1.50 to dry. The pool was really nice and they provided pool towels. The grounds were beautifully landscaped. There is a sidewalk between the complex and the beach for walking along the beach. I think it was about 4 miles now but will be about 8 miles when completed. You can also walk for miles on the beach if the tide isn't too high. Kaha Lani provides a discount card for Foodland and also a one time card for 10% off. We did almost all of our shopping the day we arrived so saved quite a bit. It's so nice to be able to cook some of your meals as it is pretty expensive to eat out there. They also provided discount coupons for a couple of nearby restaurants. It is pretty centrally located to be able to see all the sites on the island. There were only a couple of things I did not like. It smelled a little damp and musty in the kitchen and bathrooms when we got there. Maybe because it's so near the ocean or had been closed up for a while??? Since we were on the ground floor everyone walking by could look right in if we had the blinds open. The office is not staffed 24 hours a day, only 8-6. One of the neighboring condos had an small child staying in it. He cried a lot and we heard it all. I don't think his family had much fun in Hawaii. Luckily we were gone most of the day. Overall, I would definitely recommend this complex. I would go back there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: If I went back again I would request a 2nd or 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leanne_EKennan_WI
san diego
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is a great little condo complex tucked away from all of the hustle and bustle of island life. This is an older complex, but perfect for those who are looking for a DIY vacation. My daughter and I stayed in 228, which is a second floor end unit. 228 is a spacious 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit with three large balconies. The condo was fulled furnished and stocked with everything you could possibly need on vacation. It included a huge flat screen HDTV with dvd/blue ray (movies are available to rent on the property). One thing we loved were the cool ocean breezes blowing through the many windows of our unit. The ocean views from the master bedroom are amazing. The decor is all island themed, and the condo itself was very clean and well-maintained. The grounds are gorgeous and immaculate, with pool area being lit up at night by tiki torches. There are wash/dryers on the property for use ($1.50 per wash, $1.50 per dry cycle). Maid service was once during our week stay (which was fine by us). Overall we found the location to be an excellent mid-point between all sights on the island. It was a great place to rest our heads at the end of a busy day exploring. The only thing I did not like about the resort (and the island itself) are the roosters. They are everywhere, and they are loud. Every morning at 5 am we were woken up to their screeching. There are also many stray cats on the island, and you'll hear them fighting and meowing at night and in the early morning. On an end note, for those of you who have never been to Kauai, it is a stunningly beautiful island. There are many bright and beautiful flowers, trees and plant life. The wild and marine life there is unbelievable, with gorgeous colorful birds, beautiful sea turtles, humpback whales, and spinner dolphins (to name a few). An absolute must is the Na Pali Coast by boat- I'll take your breath away.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank monkeylvr
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was our first vacation involving plane travel with two small children (ages 2 and 4) -- and it was even better than I had anticipated. We barely left the condo because it had everything we could want -- a sparkling pool just outside our back door (I'd recommend getting a ground floor unit so you can walk in and out of your back door), the beach just steps away -- and in between was a great grassy area which we used for flying kites. Down the path a short walk away is the "baby beach" with a rock enclosure built around it and an elaborate play structure just behind it, as well as large covered areas and bathrooms. Unfortunately, we arrived just after the storms and both the beach and the play structure were closed. (Apparently when it rains a lot, that particular beach gets filled with sticks and it takes a long time for them to flow back out -- also the play structure seems to be downhill from a sewage treatment plant that flooded -- ugh.) But even without the extra benefits of those nearby distractions, we were completely happy with just the beach and the pool.

The condos aren't luxurious, but they are very comfortable -- and when traveling with kids, I'd prefer not to have to worry about damaging the furniture. There are some nice looking tennis courts that we never used, and lots of barbecuing areas scattered around the units as well. The gardens throughout are carefully maintained and just gorgeous. The kitchens seemed to all come with plenty of dishes and pots and pans -- we mostly ate at home and shopped at the nearby Safeway and Costco. (It's easier than keeping the kids entertained at a restaurant each night.)

If I were to do it again (as we plan to do), I might go for one of the ocean-front rooms on the ground floor. You can just sit on your back porch, drinking your beverage of choice, and watch the kids play in the grass -- with the stunning ocean vistas behind them. Our unit was located just behind the pool, so it had great access for that, but you couldn't see the ocean from our porch. Still -- it was very relaxing to sit in the warm sun and read a book. It felt like a true vacation for the first time since we became parents.

Room Tip: I'd go for a ground floor unit, and might spring for the extra $ to get one with an ocean-view...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jay M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
2.9 km away
24.9 km away
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
0.7 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Castle Kaha Lani? Share your experiences!